McLaren Life banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
After looking for a Lamborghini Gallardo for the past 16 months, and being completely disgusted with the attitude of the pompous dealers, I kind of went outside the box, and put a deposit on a used MP4-12c today. Completely not what I was thinking of doing, but it is a beautiful car, and I feel that I got a "fair" price. The 2013 updates have already been performed by the Mclaren dealer

That said....I have a LOT of questions.
I would like everyone who responds to please keep in mind, I AM NOT TRACKING this car, barely going to squeak by as it is, I certainly dont need to smack it into a wall.
I currently own what I consider two "maintenance free cars" a 1997 Acura NSX-59k miles, and a 2008 911 turbo 13 k miles on it (both blue; can you guess what color Mclaren I got?) and a blue GL550. Besides oil changes, I really havent had to do anything to the cars (a timing belt,spark plugs electively for the NSX)

Regarding the MP4-12C:

What is the anticipated life span of the tires?
Can the tires be replaced with Pilot Super Sports, or do they not make a size yet?
What is the anticipated life span of the clutch?
What is the anticipated life of the CCB? (I did not want them, but it comes with them)

What is the anticipated maintenance cost per year, considering that I probably will only drive it 4-5k miles per year?

Do the doors really suck to close?

The literature on the MP4-12c fully supports that these can be pretty much maintenance free daily drivers, does anyone find this to be true?

Does anyone find the fact that there are only 8-9? dealers in the US to have any affect on their decision to buy this car?

How has Mclaren been in responding to Warranty issues? For anyone who has had to use them.

When buying a USED MP4-12c (this particular one has 1k miles on it) is there anything that I need to be on the lookout for? (for example, on a Gallardo, a "clutch snapshot" is important, as some of the clutches suck

I know that a lot of these questions are premature/anticipated, because the cars have only been on the road for a year, but just curious.

Having looked at Gallardos and 458's for the past year and a half, I kind of knew what to expect when purchasing a used one, but this is a whole new animal to me.

thank you in advance for your time and efforts to read all of this. I hope to be a "member of the club" soon

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
It's a dual clutch transmission. Should last the life of the car. Which car did you buy , the Park Place one? Thought it had steel brakes? Tire life span? They are Pirelli, 4-5k miles. Switch to Michelin Pilot SS when you need to, but you will have to go to 295/30/20 in rear down 10 mm. Get some good photos underneath front bumper, if no skid plates are installed, careless previous owner could have scraped it up.

Nope it has Ceramic Brakes. Should last life of your ownership as long as you are not tracking it. If you plan on tracking it, you need special track pads and higher temp brake fluid, or you will use up your stock pads fast.

Service costs should be comparable to other major Exotic brands. Warranty work? Closest Dealer will come get your car or fly a tech out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Bluensx,
Who did you buy the car from? Considering a 2012 myself. Would be very interested in your experience with the dealer. Please PM me.
Thanks
Constanelli

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Hi Everyone,
After looking for a Lamborghini Gallardo for the past 16 months, and being completely disgusted with the attitude of the pompous dealers, I kind of went outside the box, and put a deposit on a used MP4-12c today. Completely not what I was thinking of doing, but it is a beautiful car, and I feel that I got a "fair" price. The 2013 updates have already been performed by the Mclaren dealer

That said....I have a LOT of questions.
I would like everyone who responds to please keep in mind, I AM NOT TRACKING this car, barely going to squeak by as it is, I certainly dont need to smack it into a wall.
I currently own what I consider two "maintenance free cars" a 1997 Acura NSX-59k miles, and a 2008 911 turbo 13 k miles on it (both blue; can you guess what color Mclaren I got?) and a blue GL550. Besides oil changes, I really havent had to do anything to the cars (a timing belt,spark plugs electively for the NSX)

Regarding the MP4-12C:

What is the anticipated life span of the tires?
Can the tires be replaced with Pilot Super Sports, or do they not make a size yet?
What is the anticipated life span of the clutch?
What is the anticipated life of the CCB? (I did not want them, but it comes with them)

What is the anticipated maintenance cost per year, considering that I probably will only drive it 4-5k miles per year?

Do the doors really suck to close?

The literature on the MP4-12c fully supports that these can be pretty much maintenance free daily drivers, does anyone find this to be true?

Does anyone find the fact that there are only 8-9? dealers in the US to have any affect on their decision to buy this car?

How has Mclaren been in responding to Warranty issues? For anyone who has had to use them.

When buying a USED MP4-12c (this particular one has 1k miles on it) is there anything that I need to be on the lookout for? (for example, on a Gallardo, a "clutch snapshot" is important, as some of the clutches suck

I know that a lot of these questions are premature/anticipated, because the cars have only been on the road for a year, but just curious.

Having looked at Gallardos and 458's for the past year and a half, I kind of knew what to expect when purchasing a used one, but this is a whole new animal to me.

thank you in advance for your time and efforts to read all of this. I hope to be a "member of the club" soon
All I can say Bluensx is you've made the right choice in selecting this car. Up here in the great white north we only have one dealer, fortunately for me it's based in my home town. They are the bomb, they really know how to take care of the Mac owner and all of their needs. So if that's the case up here in big yet small pop. Canada I'm sure it should be even better down in the US of A. I went through everything just as your doing, with one exception I did it before buying. As mentioned you've made the right choice, as for the maintenance cost and they are minimal when comparing to Ferrari or Lamborghini. From what I can recall it works out to being approx. $1.2k average per year for the first 3 years. All the best and enjoy your beautiful used / new car. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Bluenx

The doors close easily when the dealer changes the hardware and adjusts them correctly. I think there is some know-how in door hanging so some dealers better then others, I guess.

The demo cars get 11,000 miles out of the tyres. Mine is on 8000 after tracking and road trips with plenty of tread left.

No one knows the clutch life span but Mclaren anticipate it will last a long time/miles.

If you use CCB on the road they should last 200,000 miles

You should be careful when driving in cities and stopped at pedestrian crossings or in traffic jambs as ladies and girls will throw their knickers at the car. This can be an issue if your wife/partner is a passenger.

Another issue is that the tyres need to be warm for grip and it takes a good few miles.

Mclaren respond on warranty and are supportive. They want the car to be the best experience for customers.

I don't find the sparsity of dealers in the USA a problem but I can understand the large distances to travel can be an advantage when travelling in an MP12.

I expect service costs to be high and in line with other makes.

Enjoy the car.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Everything RIC says except the tyres for me,It all depends how you use it,i get 5k miles on the rears ,but i thrash her everywhere everyday.The fronts lasted 9 k miles,it definaltely is a DD and if you drive sensibly it will cost very little to run,somewhere inbetween a911tt and an italian.

·
Registered
560 Posts
im running PSS and love them! doors are perfect, once you get comfortable with them.
this will be the best decision you ever made! im loving mine!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Hey - Another NSX Owner!!:D CONGRATS!!!

Regarding all your questions: Grab a beer and do some searches in this section. U will learn A Lot about your car. Where do you live? I am asking just to answer your service question.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
im running PSS and love them! doors are perfect, once you get comfortable with them.
this will be the best decision you ever made! im loving mine!
Assume you went 295/30/20 in the rears? Stock sizes in front?

Hopefully Michelin will soon make them in 305/30/20? :mad:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
i have 20" 1 piece Cor wheels so i was able to go with a 325 PSS tire!
So will a 325 mm wide rear tire fit on the stock superlight wheels? This will also change your speedo calibration also.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Congratulations..I owned an early model 91' NSX for years..I am certain you will be happy with the McLaren driving experience..Just a quick observation.... you noted 1997 NSX...I believe model ended in 2005... ;)
Yes indeed it did end in 2005 and started in 1991. Cheers....??

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Congrats on choosing the best color. A 12C and NSX make an excellent pairing in the garage - we must see pics of them together when you can. You can even include the Porsche if you'd like. ;)

Most of your questions have been answered it seem. One comment - I don't think you'll regret passing on the Lamborghini for too long. :)

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I can't wait to a photoshoot will all 3 blue beauties at once, now if only I can get some great bikini models to do the shoots with.....:)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Yes, I can't wait to a photoshoot will all 3 blue beauties at once, now if only I can get some great bikini models to do the shoots with.....:)
When are you taking delivery?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When are you taking delivery?
Prob some time mid march here in NJ. I am going to Hawaii from 21 feb- 3 march, so hopefully between 3/4 and 3/15 when I leave town again

Really would be looking to do some type of photo shoot

1 - 19 of 19 Posts