McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the A/M mode supposed to shift for you at redline?

I would like to have the car in it's most aggressive mode, downshift manually to hold a gear, let's say 2nd gear to start a roll on race, after the races starts I want the car to shift automatically....

·
Owner
277 Posts

I would like to have the car in it's most aggressive mode, downshift manually to hold a gear, let's say 2nd gear to start a roll on race, after the races starts I want the car to shift automatically....
If no other shift in 7 seconds it reverts to auto

·
Registered
11,177 Posts

auto mode shifts at maximum revs in track mode only,each other mode is where you would expect and auto to shift:). i drive in manual all the time,in sport /track ,but on the odd occasion i want a very low gear for maximum effect i hit the auto button before flooring the throttle,this is quicker than manually changing down 4 gears and she sets off like a scalded cat !!!

·
Owner
893 Posts
Andy,
Is this example correct:
In Auto Mode (Powertrain switch in 'Track)' ... I pull the paddle to drop down into 2nd (A/M illuminates), then floor the accelerator, and from that point on the car will make it's shifts automatically through all the remaining gears with redline shifts ??
I ask because I'm use to driving only manual transmissions ....... this i my first paddle shifting thingy.;)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Andy,
Is this example correct:
In Auto Mode (Powertrain switch in 'Track)' ... I pull the paddle to drop down into 2nd (A/M illuminates), then floor the accelerator, and from that point on the car will make it's shifts automatically through all the remaining gears with redline shifts ??
I ask because I'm use to driving only manual transmissions ....... this i my first paddle shifting thingy.;)
limey,you mis-understood (or i didnt explain right ) You are cuising in 7th in track/manual powertrain say 2000rpm,to make a quick geatway you would normally floor the throttle and flip down the box with the paddle to maybe 3rd. If you want a bit more drama,press the auto button (dont touch the paddle ) and floor the throttle,the box will instantly drop from 7th to 2nd or 3rd and your in a rocketship (brace,brace to save your neck:) ) and then it automatically carries on only changing at max revs till you run out of road , but you can only do this for a matter of miliseconds before you have to back off.Let me know if i explained it right !!
This is not normal behaviour,but it is something i used to do before 10.2,because of the lag in the downshift made it particulary scary when you wanted an overtake!! But i use it for fun if someone is being an arse behind me on a dualcarrige way!! They are left in the middle of no-where with only the inside lane to move into to save face !!

·
Registered
551 Posts
I wanna try this. Need to try this :). Of course ambiant temp and tire tempe must be ideal

·
Registered
289 Posts
During a recent high speed run above 300km/h, I had the opportunity to fully explore the transmission.
Has anyone else noticed that the gear indicator that is usually in Orange changes color to Red prior to shifting up in the A/M mode?
I also notice a green arrow pointing up flashing/blinking away, seems to me like a like a shift indicator..
Interesting features!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Andy,
Is this example correct:
Ahhhh LimeyBloke there's that catchy little word, "thingy" didn't expect to see so soon. Something came to mind that I thing would really be great, we should all produce little video clips "except those that are camera shy"** demonstrating exactly what is suppose to be done. This explaining how procedures are done can become extremely confusing, especially when dealing with little thingy's it's these little thingy's at times can be so complicated. **Oh and by the way you wont be seeing my ugly mug on camera anytime soon, on top of which I'm extremely camera shy. Cheers....??

·
Registered
551 Posts
We are blessed.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Indeed the green arrow pointing up is a shift indicator.
OK but it does not appear to be distracting enough to remind you to upshift when one is so focus on the road ahead whilst driving hard to the redline.:(

·
Registered
862 Posts
OK but it does not appear to be distracting enough to remind you to upshift when one is so focus on the road ahead whilst driving hard to the redline.:(
If you miss the shift indicator then slamming into the rev limiter shortly afterwards usually brings things back into focus don't you think?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yes guys indeed I just got back from Rome and got elected. Real problem now with the big hat that doesn't fit in the mp4.

·
Registered
551 Posts
i'm not too crazy on the spider. It's sopethings missing on the car. Quit happy witht he coupmobile

·
Registered
691 Posts
Track Mode, Auto, 7th Gear. Floor the throttle at 50mph. Hold on for dear life. INSANITY.

Commuting around town in track/auto/isg=OFF is bliss - the perfect point/shoot weapon (accompanied by turbo blowoff chuffs)...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts