McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote on here a few weeks ago that I have taken delivery of a new 12C Spider. I'll post a 'first impressions' thread at some point - I always like to hear others' impressions, especially compared to cars they currently or have previously owned, so I'll do the same.

The car has been great but I am only now coming to the end of the 650 mile running-in period so don't know much about it yet.

Two questions have occurred to me though. First, the start-stop button. It works differently to Ferrari in that the Ferrari system uses a 'starter' button and you have to turn the key to switch the engine off. With the Mac you only press the button.....which looks very easy to do accidentally when you are on the road. Has anyone done that by accident? What happens?

The second question is that I noticed what appeared to be a wheel imbalance at around 90 mph. Hardening up the suspension improves it but I haven't been able to tell if I can drive through it or not (if I can drive through it it is not wheel balancing, it is soft suspension not controlling wheel rebound - a feature of soft suspension and big wheels, one that you remedy by hardening the suspension or otherwise put up with).

So my second question is 'does anyone else experience the same thing?' If not, I need to get my dealer to rebalance the wheel (which would be surprising because they seem good and it is a fairly basic error to make).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
211 Posts
No wheel balance for me, but I have a question similar to yours re the starter button.

I worry about brainfarting and accidentally pushing the start/stop button instead of the "active" button just below it when I am trying to put the car in fun mode.

Should I dare ask what happens if one accidentally pushes the wrong little round button on the center console?!?!?!?

·
Owner
57 Posts
Pushing the start button while driving will not shut the car down, you'll get a message that you need to stop the car first in order to shut the engine, happened to me once by mistake.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
As Eitan says,even experienced owners press the wrong button rom time to time.
As you say there is sometimes a vibration at 90 that you can drive through,but if you have ccbc then they have has a few problems with balance,so worthwhile getting them checked out if you do

·
Registered
211 Posts
Pushing the start button while driving will not shut the car down, you'll get a message that you need to stop the car first in order to shut the engine, happened to me once by mistake.
Now I feel much better!!!!

With me, I knew it wasn't a matter of "if", but instead a matter of "when"!!! :D

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
When I last met Ron early doors (in the Pub) I said the start button needs separating from the Active button.........I still hit the wrong button after 11000 miles.

Just like my 38 year marriage.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all the 'wrong button pushers' out there! I'll now sleep easier in my bed which I'm sure will be a relief to you all.

I'll persevere with the vibration thing for the moment since some of you have mentioned the same thing - a feature not a fault.

Who said Mclarens have no character?!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Don't give in that easily on the vibration Lukey. I have purchased 2 12C's in the last month and neither of them vibrate like that.

Make the dealers figure this one out for you.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If the vibration is transmitted through the steering wheel i would deffo get the dealer to have a look at it.. On the other hand if the vibration is transmitted through the passenger seat i would leave it as an optional extra, but make a note of the speed and revs when it happens ???? could come in handy :D

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
If the vibration is transmitted through the steering wheel i would deffo get the dealer to have a look at it.. On the other hand if the vibration is transmitted through the passenger seat i would leave it as an optional extra, but make a note of the speed and revs when it happens ???? could come in handy :D
Great idea,but I find excessive acceleration requires them to grab hold of something comforting,thankfully McLaren decided to delete the roof handholds in an apparent weight saving exercise AS IF :D
It is amazing though the different noises that these Ladies make when you floor it,i do find myself laughing out loud,thankfully I have yet to experience one that looses control of their nether regions ,although a few members have had such incidents,and with members of our own sex,big pussies !!!!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Don't give in that easily on the vibration Lukey. I have purchased 2 12C's in the last month and neither of them vibrate like that.

Make the dealers figure this one out for you.
+1, and it's likely only going to get worse over time. Do you have the cc brakes? Some have had issues with imbalanced rotors.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I actually have the 90 lepton wobble on the front wheels, comes through the steering wheel.
I've sent it back in for a rebalance and since had new tyres fitted and yet its still there.
I have found a cure though and that's not to do 90 :rolleyes:

I'm on normal steel brakes, so not the CCB issue for me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
MMMmmm,, there seams to be a pattern forming here ..?
I agree with Andy, if the vibration coincides with acceleration and a need develops for the said passenger to grab hold of something comforting,,, it could be a design fault that Mclaren left out the gear stick.... And this in turn may become dangerous and possibly distracting for the pilot during high speed driving, as Gary points out maybe around 90 ish...... or maybe even slower for some pussies :p

P.S. I have just decided never to risk going 90 ish with a man in the passenger seat :lmao:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I actually have the 90 lepton wobble on the front wheels, comes through the steering wheel.
I've sent it back in for a rebalance and since had new tyres fitted and yet its still there.
I have found a cure though and that's not to do 90 :rolleyes:

I'm on normal steel brakes, so not the CCB issue for me.
Hmmm, I do sense a pattern emerging. I have the same thing but mine is around 95-110, and its very mild, and you seem to just drive through it.

I can't tell if the vibration is from the wheels, or something vibrating through the assembly, perhaps a carbon fiber mounted resonance of some sort?

It's somewhat too coincidental at the correlation of everyone feeling this around the same speed....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hmmm, I do sense a pattern emerging. I have the same thing but mine is around 95-110, and its very mild, and you seem to just drive through it.

I can't tell if the vibration is from the wheels, or something vibrating through the assembly, perhaps a carbon fiber mounted resonance of some sort?

It's somewhat too coincidental at the correlation of everyone feeling this around the same speed....
John, if the vibrations are too mild maybe the batteries need changing :lmao:
Sorry bud cant help it :eek:

Its midnight here and ive had my medicine,,,so good night :)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the steel brakes. If you can drive through it it is not wheel balance I don't believe. Mine is definitely through the front wheels and felt through the steering wheel.

I previously had a suspicion it was to do with soft suspension settings and I'm becoming a little more convinced it's that based on how familiar the experience is to a number of people here plus the fact that it improves with stiffer suspension settings.

When car suspensions are running very soft the wheels (unsprung mass) can develop a sort of 'bounce' as they interact with the road and there is not enough damping to control the rebound.

This can take the form of a wheel vibration, but it will often disappear as speed increases because of factors like aerodynamic downforce etc. effectively stiffen up the suspension. A wheel that is properly out of balance doesn't recover like that, i.e. you can't drive through it.

There are ways around it, usually a factory fix though (had this on an Aston DBS and it miraculously disappeared after a service - must have been the subject of a service campaign fix).

I'll still check with the dealer when it's convenient in case I've got my facts wrong.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
very strange, driven approx. 6 steel brake cars. Tell me if you engage track mode on the suspension does it get any worse or better? and is it only on certain speed ranges.....? ie 90-100

1 - 20 of 26 Posts