McLaren Life banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ok here goes. My last 570s I paid $135,000 for it with a $235,000 msrp. I kept the car 2 years paying $1520 per month and now traded it back in(to my own store) for $140,000. My cost to own the car was just my payment and of course maintenance. Now we know the values are inflated right now so I had figured on the car going down 10k tops when I purchased. I then got a tax credit on a 140k trade value on the new car I purchased. The 20% I had to put down was still sitting in the value of the car. Now try replicating that in a lease, by the time you pay fee's and tax upfront the payment would still be north of 2k per month and you get no tax benefit when you are done with the car. My cost of ownership was significantly less that if I would have leased a new one. The only thing I will say is you have to shop like hell and be willing to go anywhere to get 1 as close to wholesale as possible, also I don't let color limit me. I shop the deal not the color.

I have my 2016 listed for 148ish and that is well below what most of them are being listed for.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Ok here goes. My last 570s I paid $135,000 for it with a $235,000 msrp. I kept the car 2 years paying $1520 per month and now traded it back in(to my own store) for $140,000. My cost to own the car was just my payment and of course maintenance. Now we know the values are inflated right now so I had figured on the car going down 10k tops when I purchased. I then got a tax credit on a 140k trade value on the new car I purchased. The 20% I had to put down was still sitting in the value of the car. Now try replicating that in a lease, by the time you pay fee's and tax upfront the payment would still be north of 2k per month and you get no tax benefit when you are done with the car. My cost of ownership was significantly less that if I would have leased a new one. The only thing I will say is you have to shop like hell and be willing to go anywhere to get 1 as close to wholesale as possible, also I don't let color limit me. I shop the deal not the color.

I have my 2016 listed for 148ish and that is well below what most of them are being listed for.
You got lucky on it and many things had to go your way to do this. It's almost a one off type thing.

The original O.P. was going to do this on a brand new car at full MSRP.

I'll give you a different example but not Woodside, per se but how the transactions usually go. (this is a neighbor of mine).

Leases a 488

Wants to sell a 488 but he has to write a check for $90K to get out from the lease (difference between payoff and what he is getting on sale of the car).

He doesn't want to write a check for that amount.

He approaches a Mac dealer. They have a brand new, never titled 650s. With incentives, etc., they can sell that car for about $80K below MSRP. So, what they do is they buy the 488 from him, and roll the $90K into the lease of the 650s. He has essentially bought the 650s for full MSRP since he doesn't want to write a check for $90K (he has to put a few extra thousand dollars down. Lender allows this because its a brand new car and at MSRP. If it was a used car then they would not finance this amount.

Some time goes and he wants to trade in 650s. His payoff is much greater then the amount he is receiving from the dealer. At the time; Mclaren is offering incentives on a trade of a Mclaren car if you are getting another Mac from the dealer. He trades his 650s, gets the trade incentive but is still well under water. He gets out of it by getting into a very high MSRP 600 LT spider ($330K), that he buys at full MSRP when the cars at that time were not going anywhere near MSRP. He is forced to do this in order to roll the loss into the next car.

Basically, he is rolling his losses from the beginning and getting into deeply discounted brand new cars at full MSRP. Eventually, this will stop (it has stopped because the deep discounts on brand new cars are no longer there).. It worked for him so far but he is buying cars at much higher prices then what he could buy but he has to keep rolling in his losses into the new cars. (he wasn't doing it on purpose but was getting lucky),

·
Registered
51 Posts
You got lucky on it and many things had to go your way to do this. It's almost a one off type thing.

The original O.P. was going to do this on a brand new car at full MSRP.

I'll give you a different example but not Woodside, per se but how the transactions usually go. (this is a neighbor of mine).

Leases a 488

Wants to sell a 488 but he has to write a check for $90K to get out from the lease (difference between payoff and what he is getting on sale of the car).

He doesn't want to write a check for that amount.

He approaches a Mac dealer. They have a brand new, never titled 650s. With incentives, etc., they can sell that car for about $80K below MSRP. So, what they do is they buy the 488 from him, and roll the $90K into the lease of the 650s. He has essentially bought the 650s for full MSRP since he doesn't want to write a check for $90K (he has to put a few extra thousand dollars down. Lender allows this because its a brand new car and at MSRP. If it was a used car then they would not finance this amount.

Some time goes and he wants to trade in 650s. His payoff is much greater then the amount he is receiving from the dealer. At the time; Mclaren is offering incentives on a trade of a Mclaren car if you are getting another Mac from the dealer. He trades his 650s, gets the trade incentive but is still well under water. He gets out of it by getting into a very high MSRP 600 LT spider ($330K), that he buys at full MSRP when the cars at that time were not going anywhere near MSRP. He is forced to do this in order to roll the loss into the next car.

Basically, he is rolling his losses from the beginning and getting into deeply discounted brand new cars at full MSRP. Eventually, this will stop (it has stopped because the deep discounts on brand new cars are no longer there).. It worked for him so far but he is buying cars at much higher prices then what he could buy but he has to keep rolling in his losses into the new cars. (he wasn't doing it on purpose but was getting lucky),
Ugh I dont know if I would consider that working, he has a massive 100k loss that he keeps kicking the can down the road. My new to me 570s is a 2018 spider that I paid 183 with 5400 miles on it, they are all listed right now for 190- to about 209. The car had a 260k msrp. I will see how I do this time around but even if it goes down 15k(which I doubt) in value I am paying into principal on the loan. My cost will be the payment plus the depreciation but then minus my tax credit again. Still thousands less than leasing one

·
Registered
88 Posts
Op, another option is - see if you can borrow against your 401k. If you can, you are paying interest to yourself.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Ugh I dont know if I would consider that working, he has a massive 100k loss that he keeps kicking the can down the road. My new to me 570s is a 2018 spider that I paid 183 with 5400 miles on it, they are all listed right now for 190- to about 209. The car had a 260k msrp. I will see how I do this time around but even if it goes down 15k(which I doubt) in value I am paying into principal on the loan. My cost will be the payment plus the depreciation but then minus my tax credit again. Still thousands less than leasing one
I picked up my new to me 2019 570S with 11k miles for $172,500. I put down (rolled from a troubled deal) about $70-75k in cash/equity and will finance about $100k @ 2%. I hope to be able to sell or trade it in a couple of years for $140s-150s.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Op, another option is - see if you can borrow against your 401k. If you can, you are paying interest to yourself.
Yeah, but you’re missing out on gains in the meanwhile. Mine has made 9% already this year - that’s more than the total interest on a 2% loan even stretched to 72 mos.

Last year I made >60% ... why give that up for 2% on a bank loan?

·
Registered
2019 McLaren 600LT Chicane Effect
189 Posts
We were able to get a 2.9% 7 year loan for $140K when I got the 600LT last year through US Bank. We have the liquidity to pay it off, but at that interest rate it's hard not to use the credit when I'm making much more than that from the capital elsewhere.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts