McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
the 765lt is a monster once rolling and traction

As Brooks says in the debrief it’s not the best conditions for 765LT (10:34 - 10:25 are actually quiet bad times compared to what he did with his own car)

I guess under very good conditions the LT might win over the SF90 ... it profits much more from not spinning tires and with being 0,8s faster than, it should be able to beat the Ferrari which will not be able to gain such advantage from other conditions ...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As Brooks says in the debrief it’s not the best conditions for 765LT (10:34 - 10:25 are actually quiet bad times compared to what he did with his own car)

I guess under very good conditions the LT might win over the SF90 ... it profits much more from not spinning tires and with being 0,8s faster than, it should be able to beat the Ferrari which will not be able to gain such advantage from other conditions ...
For sure, the roll races were clair a win for the 765lt, even despite he had wheel spinning in 2 and 3 the Lt could either close the gap and overcome him or was leading and open a gap.

I go so far that i dont think the sf90 stradale can hit the same drapspeed in the 1/4mile as the 765lt can do (above 150mph). If the 765lt has perfect traction he can pull even harder on the sf90.

Just from a dig, on non prepped roads the sf90 has an advantage. I will test on german highways rolling from about 100kph to top speed, against an sf90, but i am sure the 765lt will have the upperhand

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You can tell from the 765LT's 0-60 time that things will be different on a prepped drag strip, 3.37s is a very slow time for the LT.

·
Registered
949 Posts
it was 44 degrees, dragy wasn't accurate.... heating up the tires did make a difference, but not enough. The Ferrari was spinning as well and is capable of much better times, at the end of the day, 765LT will never beat an SF90 on the street from a dig.... it's even very difficult from a roll as the SF90 has an instant jump out from the AWD and instant torque...

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Which leads me to believe that the next Super Series offering will be of course hybrid, faster and yet again raising the bar!

now, the real question, will we be seeing an AWD McLaren for the first time? Probably not but one never knows!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it was 44 degrees, dragy wasn't accurate.... heating up the tires did make a difference, but not enough. The Ferrari was spinning as well and is capable of much better times, at the end of the day, 765LT will never beat an SF90 on the street from a dig.... it's even very difficult from a roll as the SF90 has an instant jump out from the AWD and instant torque...
well if the roll is long enough, German highwas 100kph-300kph i am pretty sure the 765Lt wil take it. They way the 765lt closed the gap on your rolling vids (2nd and 3th rolle), and
open the gap on the first roll, shows he has just more performance. Otherwise the 765lt couldnt make ground over the sf90.

I am also quit sure a 992 turbo s would have simular perfromance from a dig to say 80-90mph as the sf90 had on this kind of surface.

by the way, thanks for the great content on your vids

·
Registered
45 Posts
Which leads me to believe that the next Super Series offering will be of course hybrid, faster and yet again raising the bar!
It won't be AWD. Messes up the steering feel. Adds weight. Weight and steering feel are two big things for Mclaren. They want to stay pure I think. Will be bigger turbos with the lag managed by electric torque infill. That's where they are going.

·
Registered
501 Posts
It won't be AWD. Messes up the steering feel. Adds weight. Weight and steering feel are two big things for Mclaren. They want to stay pure I think. Will be bigger turbos with the lag managed by electric torque infill. That's where they are going.
Is this your own speculation or do you have insider knowledge? From what I’ve ‘heard’, it will have an electric front axle which makes perfect sense to me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
well if the roll is long enough, German highwas 100kph-300kph i am pretty sure the 765Lt wil take it. They way the 765lt closed the gap on your rolling vids (2nd and 3th rolle), and
open the gap on the first roll, shows he has just more performance. Otherwise the 765lt couldnt make ground over the sf90.

I am also quit sure a 992 turbo s would have simular perfromance from a dig to say 80-90mph as the sf90 had on this kind of surface.

by the way, thanks for the great content on your vids
Or, maybe Brooks is the more experienced/more savvy driver?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Or, maybe Brooks is the more experienced/more savvy driver?
Sanjay is a very experienced road course driver (I know him (he was sf90 driver/owner). He shouldn't have had a problem with shifting during the roll races. The only excuse that I can give him is that when he is on a road course then he would know exactly where to shift (based on memory and not by shift lights or sound).

I don't ever see Brooks address this issue but his friend Jimmy (who sometimes jumps into the competing car and has quicker reaction times off the line); told me that at PBIR they go and warm up the cars tires on the road course beside the drag strip and then immediately go to the starting line to the drag race with warm tires. This is one of the reasons why all the cars perform better at PBIR in their tests versus other places.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Undoubtedly, the hybrid will be AWD. Couple that with instant torgue and it will be a world beater at 0-60 mph. If that is the only metric of importance, the future is hybrid.These hybrids will get you to your destination in the quickest time. But will the pleasure of the journey be its sacrifice.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
old news ...

there are a ton of 4wd supercars today ... strangely non of them is setting the performance bar (not at Porsche, not at Lambo, not anywhere else) on track, if 4WD would be so much better why are all cars that set track records rwd (at Porsche, McLaren, Lambo, AMG etc.) ? the only advantage 4wd has is utility for sports cars that are driven all year at all weather condition ... there of course it is miles ahead ...

this drag race with the Ferrari wining at 0 deg C against the 765LT both with bad times, but the McLaren with way more potential just shows that 4wd mainly makes it easier to overcome traction loss in bad conditions - in good conditions its not a big advantage

Reactions: taw6189

·
Registered
301 Posts

At 11:45 Jay Leno asked Dereck Hill (who raced the EB110 and is the son of Phill Hill) whether the 4wd system was a hindrance or help. Dereck put it politely and said that he was praying for bad conditions

·
Registered
616 Posts
Any drag from stationary on the street, the SF90 will win. And soon the next Tesla family car will beat that.

EVs will win this metric every time in the future.

Does it matter? Not at all, if you're buying an LT. You buy that for other reasons than drag racing - at least outside USA.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts