McLaren Life banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I agree with everything Afat wrote. For those not wanting to trade their 720 for a 765 and realize the depreciation hit, perhaps keep the 720 and add a 675? It’s probably a wash financially over the ownership period. Come to think of it, adding a 675 may end up being more financially prudent.
I still believe the 675 will rise in value down the road.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yeah, i also find the folding display a gimmick. It saves zero visibility out the windscreen. Also i think being able to actually monitor engine and tyre temps on track is the most needed time to do.
Mine is permanently set to up. Dont understand this bit of nonsense. But every friend that gets in and sees it says...wow... Lol

·
Registered
608 Posts
I agree with everything Afat wrote. For those not wanting to trade their 720 for a 765 and realize the depreciation hit, perhaps keep the 720 and add a 675? It’s probably a wash financially over the ownership period. Come to think of it, adding a 675 may end up being more financially prudent.
As a new 720S buyer who just took the hit on the 720 awaiting the incoming 765 the numbers for what you describe are bang on certainly for the UK. I could have added virtually any of the 675s for sale for the extra I am putting towards the 765.
My man maths convinced me that I don't need two super series and I will keep the 765 for a long time. :oops:

·
Registered
222 Posts
The dilemma is, for virtually the same price, would you rather have a 765 or instead a 720S and a 675.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The dilemma is, for virtually the same price, would you rather have a 765 or instead a 720S and a 675.
My limiting factor is not the total spend, which as you say would be similar, but is my time & also garage space. On that basis it was an easy choice for me to go for 765LT.

Plus the fact it was so awesome to drive, and will almost certainly be the last non hybrid from McLaren.

It's one hell of a "big bang" for pure combustion to go out on :)

·
Registered
548 Posts
As a new 720S buyer who just took the hit on the 720 awaiting the incoming 765 the numbers for what you describe are bang on certainly for the UK. I could have added virtually any of the 675s for sale for the extra I am putting towards the 765.
My man maths convinced me that I don't need two super series and I will keep the 765 for a long time. :oops:
Similar though process here. The hit on my 720S will really hurt, but I've come to terms with it as it's factored in now anyway. And I will keep the 765LT for a decade most likely.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I dont think anything non hybrid will touch this thing unless it is at least double the cost. The STO seems like a cool car but this will leave it well behind and it doesn't look like Ferrari will introduce anything to compete. An F8 VS is unlikely and even if not I doubt they will release anything as fast as the SF90. This one might be the keeper.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I dont think anything non hybrid will touch this thing unless it is at least double the cost. The STO seems like a cool car but this will leave it well behind and it doesn't look like Ferrari will introduce anything to compete. An F8 VS is unlikely and even if not I doubt they will release anything as fast as the SF90. This one might be the keeper.
I wouldn't write off the STO just yet IMO.

Personally I think 765LT and STO will both be keepers. Best of na and turbo.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Depends on how you consider performance. In a straightline, I agree with you. On track, GT Black Series, next GT2RS, and STO (depending on which track for STO, it'll suffer on high speed GP tracks/Big Willow) will all probably be faster.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I wouldn't write off the STO just yet IMO.

Personally I think 765LT and STO will both be keepers. Best of na and turbo.
I am not writing it off but lets face it, the STO is just another iteration of the Huracan. Just Lambo milking it as usual. That said I am sure it will be a fine car.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Depends on how you consider performance. In a straightline, I agree with you. On track, GT Black Series, next GT2RS, and STO (depending on which track for STO, it'll suffer on high speed GP tracks/Big Willow) will all probably be faster.
Sure you can find a spot here and there that one will compete with it but as the total package I believe the 765 will be king. With this said I wouldn't refuse any of them.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Sure you can find a spot here and there that one will compete with it but as the total package I believe the 765 will be king. With this said I wouldn't refuse any of them.
Just depends on what your priority is. I'm 100% sure the 765LT will be quicker in a straightline than all of them, but it'll probably be slower on slow speed tracks/corners. It's just what trade works for you.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I am not writing it off but lets face it, the STO is just another iteration of the Huracan. Just Lambo milking it as usual. That said I am sure it will be a fine car.
Lambo (and I take this with a pinch of salt and pepper) says it's 3 seconds a lap faster than the Performante at Daytona. That's more than the supposed 765LT vs 720S difference at Nardo handling track.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Lambo (and I take this with a pinch of salt and pepper) says it's 3 seconds a lap faster than the Performante at Daytona. That's more than the supposed 765LT vs 720S difference at Nardo handling track.
We dont have any data to prove this out. Just a single track test with the 765 in less than desirable conditions.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Just depends on what your priority is. I'm 100% sure the 765LT will be quicker in a straightline than all of them, but it'll probably be slower on slow speed tracks/corners. It's just what trade works for you.
I dont think so. If the tires are warmed properly I doubt anything will stay with it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Daytona is all about straight line performance and braking, with a few tight corners in between. It’s perhaps the worst track to benchmark these cars with. The skeptic in me wonders if Lambo chose it for a reason..... and here’s why.

This comparison tells me a few things:

1) STO has an incredible braking advantage over the Performante - due to the CCM-R brakes, stickier tires and more aero. This advantage is magnified at a track like Daytona.

2) The STO has more power than the GT3 race car. Notice they cleverly compared Daytona lap times against the GT3 (limited to 580hp per BOP regs) and not the Super Trofeo (640hp). I suspect the ST is faster around Daytona than its GT3 counterpart. Perhaps someone can confirm?

Why didn’t they benchmark lap times at a more traditional European track?

- The gap to the GT3 would have significantly widened and the gap to the Performante would have shrunk. No bueno for marketing which it seems has also been tailored to remind some of its customers that Lambo races in GT3 and has had success.... hence the “Based on a true story” tag line.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts