McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could any new 765LT owners who also own or have owned an 675LT kindly share driving impression comparisons?

On street and on track comparisons both appreciated wrt fun to drive and capabilities.

Also is the 765LT different enough to warrant keeping a 675LT and adding a 765LT vs trading it in?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The 675LT and 765LT are completely different platforms despite both being LT's.

Arguably, the consensus seems to be the 675LT is the best driving car from McLaren. 720's and 765's are faster with upgraded tech.

765 seems to be most similar to the 720s as its similar platform, and even looks.

I think they are very different vehicles all things considered. It will be hard to definitively say which is the right car for you because of these differences, and because both cars are top of their class.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could any new 765LT owners who also own or have owned an 675LT kindly share driving impression comparisons?

On street and on track comparisons both appreciated wrt fun to drive and capabilities.

Also is the 765LT different enough to warrant keeping a 675LT and adding a 765LT vs trading it in?

Thank you in advance.
Bumping this up - any input from OWNERS who can share comparative driving impressions would be hugely appreciated. Road or track.

Yes I understand they are different platforms as I too have google and YouTube.

I have a 675LT. I’ve driven a 720 spider for a few days but never a 765LT.

Any similarities between 675 and 765?

Is a 765 significantly more fun and connected to drive than a 720 (much like how a 675 is dramatically more so than a 650)?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Bumping this up - any input from OWNERS who can share comparative driving impressions would be hugely appreciated. Road or track.

Yes I understand they are different platforms as I too have google and YouTube.

I have a 675LT. I’ve driven a 720 spider for a few days but never a 765LT.

Any similarities between 675 and 765?

Is a 765 significantly more fun and connected to drive than a 720 (much like how a 675 is dramatically more so than a 650)?

Thank you.
Twosherpaz posted on another thread . He was giddy with his 765 on track and drove it 8 hours to his house . He currently has 2 675 and had 3 of them . (He has a very serious collection. He drives and tracks all of them )

I haven’t driven my 765 yet (I’ve had 2x675).

Search for his postings ....

I’ll be back in a few weeks to give my impressions

·
Registered
474 Posts

Thank you in advance.
I recommend keeping your 675LT until after driving a 765LT. Everyone has a different perspective of what constitutes ‘different enough’ so only you can make that decision. I’ve come to learn that many users on these forums sense things that I don’t (ie. downforce helping grip on public roads).

·
Registered
548 Posts

Thank you in advance.

I've only driven both on road, so my experience is limited in that sense. I've driven 720S on road and track.

See here: (60) 765LT drive - my street test review & day at MTC | McLaren Life

I'd add that 765 is very different to 720. It is also pretty different to 675, mostly due to having much more power, but also being more defined by its front end in how it drives. It's slightly less laggy than 675, much quicker, and more ferocious. Both sound equally good and feel equally good fun on road.

I could choose to buy a 675 obviously, as I only have a 720. But am choosing the 765 over the 675. If I had a 675, it would be a very tough decision however, and I might perhaps not bother to change. Sorry if that doesn't really help in your case :( Really the best thing you can do is drive one and see.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The fact that the car is being driven on public roads has little to do with the efficacy of downforce. It is about how fast the car is travelling and it is quantifiable. Below a specific speed threshold, downforce will have little to no affect.

·
Registered
474 Posts
The fact that the car is being driven on public roads has little to do with the efficacy of downforce. It is about how fast the car is travelling and it is quantifiable. Below a specific speed threshold, downforce will have little to no affect.
It has to do with the fact that based on the relatively modest amount of downforce these cars generate, one must be travelling at immense speeds before one can detect it on a 3,000+ pound street car. Speeds not approachable on normal roads. Not
to mention you’ll also need the tires to be at operating temperature in order to approach those cornering speeds - something nearly impossible to achieve on the street.

I’ve seen numerous reviews of cars driving through canyon roads and the reviewer gushing over the downforce. Credibility lost.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It has to do with the fact that based on the relatively modest amount of downforce these cars generate, one must be travelling at immense speeds before one can detect it on a 3,000+ pound street car. Speeds not approachable on normal roads. Not
to mention you’ll also need the tires to be at operating temperature in order to approach those cornering speeds - something nearly impossible to achieve on the street.

I’ve seen numerous reviews of cars driving through canyon roads and the reviewer gushing over the downforce. Credibility lost.
Overall, I certainly agree. Downforce cannot really be explored properly on public roads. I think the exception might be the Viper ACR which makes even more downforce at 177mph than a Senna (2000lbs versus 1764lbs). I do think it probably makes enough downforce even at slower speeds (120-150mph) to be perceptible. Those speeds can be accomplished on public roads, at least that is what a friend told me...

·
Registered
474 Posts
Overall, I certainly agree. Downforce cannot really be explored properly on public roads. I think the exception might be the Viper ACR which makes even more downforce at 177mph than a Senna (2000lbs versus 1764lbs). I do think it probably makes enough downforce even at slower speeds (120-150mph) to be perceptible. Those speeds can be accomplished on public roads, at least that is what a friend told me...
My first experience with the ACR was while following Ralph Gilles in my Radical at Mosport. I remember catching him in turn 1 and expecting to get significantly held up in T2 which was easy flat in my car (125mph entry speed). Nope. I was shocked by his cornering speed. Great driver and super nice guy as I naturally had to figure out who was piloting that thing after the session.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
It's very noticeable when you can take it on and off and compare directly. The difference in driving a S2000 even with a simple wing vs none is huge, even at sub 100 mph. It is a car that produces rear lift stock. Stability, braking, handling balance is all improved. You think if you take the wing off a Senna or ACR that it won't be different in a canyon?

·
Registered
474 Posts
It's very noticeable when you can take it on and off and compare directly. The difference in driving a S2000 even with a simple wing vs none is huge, even at sub 100 mph. It is a car that produces rear lift stock. Stability, braking, handling balance is all improved. You think if you take the wing off a Senna or ACR that it won't be different in a canyon?
Senna and ACR are the most extreme examples. Put the Senna in race mode, install the front spoiler on the ACR and drive either of those cars at 3x the speed limits on canyon roads and I’m sure the downforce would become apparent and appreciated. However, someone doing spirited driving in a Pista or 765LT through the same roads will be relying on mechanical grip and any sensation of downforce will be mostly imaginary. That’s not to say the downforce isn’t helping, especially to counter lift as in your example, but spirited driving a heavy car with moderate downforce on track tires that are not up to temp should not trigger the pilot to think downforce is what’s keeping the car under control. I’m specifically referring to those who claim they feel the downforce difference between a 720 and 765 or Pista vs 488 on public roads. The extra 25%, 35% or whatever it is should not be noticeable at those speeds.... unless those people really are taking highway ramps at 120mph

·
Registered
474 Posts
What track is this?

I noticed that both you and 6th element are Canadian - do you ever track Mosport?
Yes, Mosport. I’ve tracked and raced there a few years ago although I’ve since spent most of my track time competing at other venues in a different car.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I currently own a 675 Spider and just sold my 720s in preparation for my incoming 765. I had a chance to drive a friend’s 765 coupe last week back to back with my 675 through some twisties.

The cars both feel very raw. The 765 is a lot more powerful and ferocious in its power delivery. It also seems to have a little less lag. They both sound fantastic although because of my car being a spider the sounds seemed a lot more lively than the 765 from inside the cabin. I’m sure the 765 spider will have the same advantage as well. The shifting on the 765 in sport mode also has a nice kick to it, which I loved. Overall, I’m very excited about getting my 765. It’s truly a phenomenal car and is clearly a superior car.

All that said, I would never part with the 675! For me, the 675 is the more usable and stable car for canyon driving, which is how I mostly use my cars. The 765 is so fast and ferocious that I feel you need a track to get more out of it. I don’t know how to explain it, but the 675 seems more balanced to me under hard acceleration whereas the 765 feels like it’s a wild animal clawing for traction when you hammer it. Great fun but also a bit too much on public roads. Again, just my initial take in comparing the two cars and in no way a deterrent from me picking up my 765. If anything this drive solidified my excitement for the 765 while re-enforcing my love for my 675. As scrappy said, everyone has their own take and I’m sharing mine with the OP.

The other reason why I would never part with my 675 is because to me, the driving position in the 675 is absolutely second to none. I have never driven car that seemed more Go-kart like than the 675. The outward view over the hood is perfection. From the driver’s seat, the 765 seems like a bigger/wider car to me than the 675. I felt the same way about my 720s. I know on paper they’re about the same size but to me the double skin doors on the 720/765 platform make them seem a lot wider from the driver seat.

Lastly, It’s personal preference again but I also like the interior layout of the 675 more than the 720s/765 platform. It just feels more intimate and jet fighter like. Plus, I love the analog speedo over the digital as it harkens back to a time forgotten.

Bottom line, if you can, definitely own both!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Lastly, It’s personal preference again but I also like the interior layout of the 675 more than the 720s/765 platform. It just feels more intimate and jet fighter like. Plus, I love the analog speedo over the digital as it harkens back to a time forgotten.
When the 720 came out many were critical of the quality/layout of the 650/675 interior however I too like Afat wasn't convinced. Still love the round tach and centre console. The folding display is a bit gimmicky. I also like the 720 interior but to me it wasn't the improvement some made it out to be. Jet-fighter like describes the older interior well. The 650/12Cs are aging well.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts