McLaren Life banner

1181 - 1200 of 1238 Posts

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,337 Posts
It was never intended to match Senna on track, nor will it. Except somewhere like Brands Indy, where it should even beat Senna.

On road, it will be quicker than Senna.

More importantly - a lot more fun, anywhere.
Why would it be quicker than a Senna anywhere? Road or a specific track?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Why would it be quicker than a Senna anywhere? Road or a specific track?
Virtually the same power and weight, but 15% shorter gearing. So a short twisty track, or on road, where Senna can't benefit from its aero will give the 765LT the advantage.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,337 Posts
Maybe I see the short track with gearing, not sure why on a road. Obviously many kinds of roads, but it would have to be an equally short twisty track. Also, my understanding is the weight and HP difference is not inconsequential, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Maybe I see the short track with gearing, not sure why on a road. Obviously many kinds of roads, but it would have to be an equally short twisty track. Also, my understanding is the weight and HP difference is not inconsequential, but I could be wrong.
Same principle on road i.e. Senna cannot use its aero advantage. Unless you're talking about taking bends at super high speeds on the autobahn, the cars would be at lower speeds where aero effect is low.

Don't underestimate the 15% shorter gearing advantage. It has a huge effect. When I drove it, that was probably a far bigger factor in the brutal acceleration over my 720S than the power increase.

Wait and see what happens when DragTimes races the 765LT vs Senna. I can predict that one :)

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Virtually the same power and weight, but 15% shorter gearing. So a short twisty track, or on road, where Senna can't benefit from its aero will give the 765LT the advantage.

but thats exactly when you look at the data where the Senna is faster ... Corner entry, turning at higher g and corner exit ... if the 765LT behaved like you said it would be quicker around a track as it clearly accelerates faster than the Senna (1/4 9.3 vs 9.8 for Senna)

Same principle on road i.e. Senna cannot use its aero advantage. Unless you're talking about taking bends at super high speeds on the autobahn, the cars would be at lower speeds where aero effect is low.

Don't underestimate the 15% shorter gearing advantage. It has a huge effect. When I drove it, that was probably a far bigger factor in the brutal acceleration over my 720S than the power increase.

Wait and see what happens when DragTimes races the 765LT vs Senna. I can predict that one :)
Senna has far more aero at lower speeds and holds higher corner speeds ... not sure if there is any advantage for the 765LT till you reach a lvl for road so bad the Senna gets into trouble with its very low sitting chassis and having less visibility ... but than that is the kind of road where a 400-500hp WRC will drive circles around both and not really the one for s big supersportscar

1/4 Winner is clear as the Senna already lost against the 720s in 1/4s ...

·
Registered
2020 720 Spider
191 Posts
Very much the expected result ...

for the first 2 I think Brooks, besides having the faster car also got the better start ... would be interesting how close they would be of they swapped cars ... I think 3rd gives a good impression about reality (not the best start for Brooks and the other guy could match that) other 2 he is clearly behind with his reaction (0.1 -0.3 s) so I guess 4-5mph and around 0.3-0.4s are the realty of what both cars are apart ...

Let’s what the much heavier SF90 will do ... I guess times around 9.6-9.2s could be expected
Brooks was actually slower with his reaction time in race 1 and race 3. Race 2 he red lighted. I actually thought the other driver out ‘drove’ Brooks on that day (which is rare). Two tree wins (reaction time) and then a win by default on the red light...that’s 3 for 3. After that...it’s up to the car...nothing more the other driver could’ve done.

765 has shorter gearing.
Lighter car.
More power.
Possibly better launch control.

1.5s vs 1.60s 60ft time is worth 2/10ths on the big end.

= Relatively easy win.

Either way they are both awesome cars...esp. considering they weren’t designed for the drag strip...

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Someone with a 765LT w/ tune and downpipes was able to get 8.9s in the quarter mile. Bonkers
I saw the this posted in IG, any info on how much hp the car makes ?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Shouldn’t be an issue as the battery continually gets recharged by the generator attached to the engine. Only would be an issue of trying to drive in electric only mode, which would be extremely limited use anyway (trying to get out of the house without the wife knowing or walking the kids)
The 918 did that in theory too, but in practice it was limited.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Two astonishingly quick cars, but the way the 765LT gapped the Senna.... damn.
We will need to see more weigh-ins and same RR tests, but it appears the 765LT and Senna are pretty even on both weight and peak power, but with the 765LT having more area under its power curve thanks to a revised piston shape.

The significant difference is of course the 15% shorter gearing advantage, and better TC.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
We will need to see more weigh-ins and same RR tests, but it appears the 765LT and Senna are pretty even on both weight and peak power, but with the 765LT having more area under its power curve thanks to a revised piston shape.

The significant difference is of course the 15% shorter gearing advantage, and better TC.
I thought the Senna had shorter gearing too?

·
2012 MP4-12C
936 Posts
I thought the Senna had shorter gearing too?
Negative. 765LT was the first to employ a shorter final drive ratio. The gearboxes are, AFAIK, mechanically identical between 720S - Senna - 765LT.

Reactions: Jas and Mycroft
1181 - 1200 of 1238 Posts