McLaren Life banner

1161 - 1180 of 1235 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
i think with the electric motors controlling traction up front it will do very well. I know it’s only Top Gear, but the SF90 broke their record, with a lap time of 1:11.3, which was 1.4 seconds faster than the Pista, and 2.1 faster than the GT2RS (all good driving days). That’s a lot of a gap on such a small track. Granted, these are tests done on different days, but they at least show that the SF90 will still be fast around the track even with the added weight.
the Top Gear lap gives a lot of advantage to the SF90 ... first its very short and quiet wide corners with straights afterwards, second the car there is staring from a stand still (probably charged at 100%) the SF90 can therefore use its qualifying mode ... this will change in normal tests where the car does the timed lap in the 2nd or 3rd lap with flying start and warmed up tires (the way most magazines test) and on the long NS ... I doubt somehow that the SF90 will keep its performance under those circumstances which are closer to what a track day or regular driving should be ... however the time as it stands now is quiet impressive, if it was not rigged (1250hp Press SF90 ? ;-) )

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,330 Posts
the Top Gear lap gives a lot of advantage to the SF90 ... first its very short and quiet wide corners with straights afterwards, second the car there is staring from a stand still (probably charged at 100%) the SF90 can therefore use its qualifying mode ... this will change in normal tests where the car does the timed lap in the 2nd or 3rd lap with flying start and warmed up tires (the way most magazines test) and on the long NS ... I doubt somehow that the SF90 will keep its performance under those circumstances which are closer to what a track day or regular driving should be ... however the time as it stands now is quiet impressive, if it was not rigged (1250hp Press SF90 ? ;-) )
How does a short track advantage a heavy car?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I see what you mean about the battery being depleted being less likely for a shorter track, but generally the physics work against heavy cars on short tight tracks.
It’s basically an 8 on a airstrip not really tight

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

·
Registered
614 Posts
if it has a qualifying mode which only lasts a very short time (1-2 laps) it does

Yes indeed. I expect SF90 to be quicker in setting lap records than 765LT, due to its full power qualifying mode.

After a couple of laps however, it will be slower.

1000cv in that mode. But it's normally only 875cv in performance mode.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
The 765LT is truly a beast...765LT vs 720S...3rd race is the best, very even launch, LT is 0.3 and 5mph clear of the 720S.
Very much the expected result ...

for the first 2 I think Brooks, besides having the faster car also got the better start ... would be interesting how close they would be of they swapped cars ... I think 3rd gives a good impression about reality (not the best start for Brooks and the other guy could match that) other 2 he is clearly behind with his reaction (0.1 -0.3 s) so I guess 4-5mph and around 0.3-0.4s are the realty of what both cars are apart ...

Let’s what the much heavier SF90 will do ... I guess times around 9.6-9.2s could be expected

·
Registered
152 Posts
Let’s what the much heavier SF90 will do ... I guess times around 9.6-9.2s could be expected
i am with you here, but i think the sf90 will benefit less from the dragstripe as the 765LT does, because traction from the sf90 is already superior on the street due to
AWD. The 765LT makes a big jump from street performance 1/4mile (with limited traction) to the 1/4mile on the dragstripe in time and as well in MPH. Not sure if the sf90 can hit over 150MPH on the dragstripe

·
Registered
270 Posts
Here is a brief track report for you all...
Recently in a banked turn on a super speedway at a point where I usually see 273km/170 mph in my tuned 12-C on 100 octane with Goodyear 3R’s on 19inch square Forgelines I saw 293 km /182 mph in a new 765 LT on OEM wheels and Torfeos R’s. No drama whatsoever. Have not tried a 720 on either tire at that spot so can’t compare
Now does the LT accelerate a bit quicker or brake a bit better with the Senna brakes than a 720 ? Probably but frankly I don’t care The 720 is lightening fast and braking is superb I have no performance complaints with a 720 on a track
I do think that the 765 LT will be a collectible like the 675 LT

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Here is a brief track report for you all...
Recently in a banked turn on a super speedway at a point where I usually see 273km/170 mph in my tuned 12-C on 100 octane with Goodyear 3R’s on 19inch square Forgelines I saw 293 km /182 mph in a new 765 LT on OEM wheels and Torfeos R’s. No drama whatsoever. Have not tried a 720 on either tire at that spot so can’t compare
Now does the LT accelerate a bit quicker or brake a bit better with the Senna brakes than a 720 ? Probably but frankly I don’t care The 720 is lightening fast and braking is superb I have no performance complaints with a 720 on a track
I do think that the 765 LT will be a collectible like the 675 LT
the major problem the 765LT still has (maybe can be cured by owners who change car setup or some tune or software update) is that it looses a bit of time vs the 720s/Senna/ GT BS on a good number of corner exits due to lost traction and power oversteering ... 0.2-0.3s per corner on 50-60% of the corners quickly become 2-3 seconds on most tracks with 15-30 corners, additionally this will also negatively influence final speed on the straights which would be increased by some mph if the corner exits are cleaner ... that is more or less the time the 765LT needs become faster to be ahead of all competition besides Senna - which it will probably not be able to ever match as the Senna just carries much more speed through corners with the more than double df and ability to handle higher g loads ...

·
Registered
499 Posts
the major problem the 765LT still has (maybe can be cured by owners who change car setup or some tune or software update) is that it looses a bit of time vs the 720s/Senna/ GT BS on a good number of corner exits due to lost traction and power oversteering ... 0.2-0.3s per corner on 50-60% of the corners quickly become 2-3 seconds on most tracks with 15-30 corners, additionally this will also negatively influence final speed on the straights which would be increased by some mph if the corner exits are cleaner ... that is more or less the time the 765LT needs become faster to be ahead of all competition besides Senna - which it will probably not be able to ever match as the Senna just carries much more speed through corners with the more than double df and ability to handle higher g loads ...
I’d have more fun perfecting my power oversteer than chasing a better lap time.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Agreed (from what little I know). It wouldn't be the first time that either McLaren software needed tweaking, or drivers needed educating on which modes to use for the fastest lap.

·
Registered
292 Posts
There will be little that offers a greater abundance of driving thrills than controlling a wild thoroughbred of a car at its limits or more accurately, at the limits of the driver's capabilities.

·
Registered
614 Posts
which it will probably not be able to ever match as the Senna just carries much more speed through corners with the more than double df and ability to handle higher g loads ...
It was never intended to match Senna on track, nor will it. Except somewhere like Brands Indy, where it should even beat Senna.

On road, it will be quicker than Senna.

More importantly - a lot more fun, anywhere.

1161 - 1180 of 1235 Posts