McLaren Life banner

1081 - 1100 of 1116 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
A golf course is far more beautiful than scorched earth. Make light of what you will but Cali’s forest maintenance is a joke and has caused terrible harm. But let’s get back to topic.

·
2012 MP4-12C
918 Posts
A golf course is far more beautiful than scorched earth. Make light of what you will but Cali’s forest maintenance is a joke and has caused terrible harm. But let’s get back to topic.
I live in Cali... what forests? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
On my 720S, the colour changes from blue to black at 25C. On Corsa tyres.

I wonder if PZero and Trofeo have the same threshold? Anyone know?
yes 25 deg is really not much ... the blue values must be different for TRs on the 765LT as the car should reach 25deg with ease

·
Registered
548 Posts
yes 25 deg is really not much ... the blue values must be different for TRs on the 765LT as the car should reach 25deg with ease
Depends on ambient temperature though. In the current 5-10C ambients, I cannot get my tyres to 25C on road. Certainly not the fronts.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Maybe this is the big answer to why there is a tyre selection menu. Could be as simple as this. Just adjusts the threshold for what is 'warm'.
I really find it impossible it really holds or gathers any useful data and then to act on.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Great review. Glad they’re calling it a baby senna rather than a super 720s. Alarmingly however, The Trofeo R tire temp issue continues to come up. Not a good sign when you can’t get them to temp after “50 miles of hard canyon driving” in 70+ degree temperatures.
Here’s my opinion on McLaren tire choices...

If you’re doing that kind of driving you’d be better off with the Corsa tire option. Canyon driving would have enough slow sections to keep Trofeos cool. The latest versions cool down way more quickly than the old ones. In my opinion it’s a positive feature of the tire if you plan to use it on track.

Trofeos are awesome on track, and decent on the road at legal speeds, but they gain temperature very slowly (and sometimes not at all on the road) and lose temperature very quickly (which is great at the track because they quickly go back to proper pressures between sessions and you don’t have to baby them). If you live in a warm climate, where the roads are warm, they’re also OK.

That said - as long as you’re not being completely stupid and driving on the road like you’d drive on the track, or driving in a lot of standing water, they’re perfectly fine road tires if you’re obeying the speed limits. But getting them properly sticky on the roads is difficult except on very warm days.

BUT.... this is very car-dependent. It is MUCH easier to get the Trofeos warm with a 675LT or P1. But the Senna, because it is so much lighter and easier on tires, has a heck of time getting Trofeo’s up to temperature, and keeping temperature, on the road. Fortunate you have enough downforce to induce grip, and counteract their lack of stickiness, on high speed sections but that won’t help you very much racing through twisty canyon roads at lower speeds in moderate temperatures. I have no idea where the 765LT sits in the spectrum. Is it lighter than a 675LT? It certainly will be lighter than a P1. How it uses up tires might also be a function of suspension geometry.

I am often shocked at how easy the Senna is on its tires. Track sessions that would have shredded the Trofeos on P1, or definitely taken a lot of life out of them, or 675LT produce very little wear on the Senna even when the Senna is producing much faster lap times. Of course this going-easy-on-tires means achieving high-enough temperatures is even more important to producing great lap times and having the confidence to push in slow corners where downforce isn’t helping. In my humble opinion this is definitely what hurt the 765LT in that first test where they said 720 was faster. They probably ran the 720 on a hotter day where the tires worked much better. They may have been better off running the 765LT on Corsa tires. The latest Corsa (and P-Zero) tire compounds are so much better than they’ve been in the past.

I was lucky enough to get to use one of McLaren’s 720S USA test cars for a few days, right after the car was revealed and I drove it several hundred miles over the next 4 days. After driving it for a few hours I asked the then-development director of McLaren what crazy voodoo magic they were performing to get these tires to be so good. I had owned McLarens and Ferraris on P-Zeros before and they never had grip like these. He said Pirelli has completely revamped the compounds of the whole line and that the new Corsas could now match or beat the lap times of the old Trofeos (but with much lower wear than the previous Corsas) and the new P-Zeros were now comparable to the old Corsas but with much lower wear than the previous P-Zeros. I ordered Corsas on my 720S and then again on my 720S Spider and they were/are amazing. Later when I got the Senna I could not believe how much better the new Trofeos were than the older versions that came with the P1 and 675LT. Especially better with heat management but also better overall grip (once warm) and definitely more durable.

BTW, for my P1 I bought two sets of wheels. One set has Corsas and stay mounted on the car 95% of the time and one set has Trofeos and are used only at the track. I’ve tracked it a few times on the Corsas when I was too lazy to change them and the Corsas were decent but obviously not as grippy as the Trofeos. The Senna lives on Trofeos permanently.

I’ll bet there’s a similar story with Michelin tires. These top tire manufacturers are really competing hard with each other but (in my opinion) the 765LT got caught in the middle wearing the wrong tires for a cold track test.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Really great content and thanks. My personal experience with Trofeo Rs on the 600LTS over 1500 kms in two days was exactly as as suggested. Day one had ambient temp of between 6-12 degrees C and I simply could not get the tyres to temp. The car was a bit of a handful and one had to be very careful. Day 2 with ambients in the 20's the tyres reached temp quite quickly and it was sublime to drive. BTW: I also found the Trofeo R's to be quite pressure sensitive especially when not at ideal temp

·
Registered
283 Posts
Can' t wait. A few more weeks.

The question he gets at the end. So sick of it.!!

1081 - 1100 of 1116 Posts