McLaren Life banner

1061 - 1080 of 1116 Posts

·
2012 MP4-12C
918 Posts
All the talk about Mclaren’s tire choice for the 765LT. Here’s another great video by Misha and Robert trying out michelin cup2s on his 675LT....

This is exactly why I am reserving judgement until I drive the car. So much speculation here on how bad the tires are from people who have not or will not drive the car. Real owners providing feedback is the only thing that counts here.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is exactly why I am reserving judgement until I drive the car. So much speculation here on how bad the tires are from people who have not or will not drive the car. Real owners providing feedback is the only thing that counts here.
For some (limited) context, I've put the 765 straight on Michelin PS4S given the weather in the UK. They've impressed me so far and have better traction than the P Zeros that were on the 720. Breakaway and intervention of the traction control feels fine albeit I appreciate that B-road driving is not the same test as on track. I was warned that they'd be much louder than the P Zero given they don't have the foam inserts - no noticeable difference to me.

·
Registered
214 Posts
A new tire and one that has 500 kms of use, will have different physical characteristics. The traction control system simply reacts to grip and the reduction thereof.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Noriceable difference in terms of grip, especially on hard cornering and at launch between the P Zero and the Corsa.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Misha says Nankang AR-1's work and are better than Trofeo R's on the 675LT. Every video I see of the 765LT being driven on the street, the tire temps are blue

·
Registered
607 Posts
I am basically with you. However, owners often tend to justify their purchase decision and are therefore not always objective in their feedback. I think the good mix makes it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
It is a rarity to read a negative review of the car someone has just received. The psychological vesting is simply too high to overcome. That does not imply that their commentary is so biased as to be dismissed. Frequently, these reviews can be informative as to general driving characteristics of the car especially when it addresses specific parameters of performance which may be controversial.

·
2012 MP4-12C
918 Posts
Every video I see of the 765LT being driven on the street, the tire temps are blue
Depends on what "blue" means. If the car is looking for track temps (e.g. >125 F tire air temp) you will likely never get there on the street if ambient is under 90 F, and yet they may hook up plenty well. All depends on the actual tire temp, not the color indicator.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Misha says Nankang AR-1's work and are better than Trofeo R's on the 675LT. Every video I see of the 765LT being driven on the street, the tire temps are blue
this is kind concerning if its the TR only ... even on a very cold day here ( I don't drive the 720s when its below 6deg C bc of ice in the backcountry and forests my tires are no more blue after maybe 10-15km of driving backcountry roads ... when does blue end? I don't have the manual with me right now, but should be around 25-30 deg C, right ???

·
Registered
546 Posts
These tyres are not ideal for low ambient temperatures and were way better at higher (+20 degrees Celsius) ambient temp. Once they are up to temperature they stick like crazy and it makes for one heck of a drive.
So in ambient 20C, what would you say is the minimum good grip tyre temperature pls on Trofeos?

I find at ambient 20C, my Corsas are fine at 25C, and great at anything over 30C.

·
Registered
546 Posts
this is kind concerning if its the TR only ... even on a very cold day here ( I don't drive the 720s when its below 6deg C bc of ice in the backcountry and forests my tires are no more blue after maybe 10-15km of driving backcountry roads ... when does blue end? I don't have the manual with me right now, but should be around 25-30 deg C, right ???
On my 720S, the colour changes from blue to black at 25C. On Corsa tyres.

I wonder if PZero and Trofeo have the same threshold? Anyone know?

2,754 Posts
I’m running the Michelin Sport 4S, albeit I’m in North Florida, it gets into the 30s here in the winter mornings. it takes 15-20 minutes of driving to warm these up to proper temps. They definitely will not have the grip of the TRs but they work well for daily driving and any wet weather

1061 - 1080 of 1116 Posts