McLaren Life banner

661 - 680 of 861 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I had an Ariel atom for 1 month. It is not comparable. I would prefer a Miata.

I had a Bac Mono in my garage for 1 year as my friend was convinced it was going to skyrocket. I drove that car a lot and on the track. It's a fun car.

Overpriced for what it is and what my friend found out is that no dealer wanted to buy it and pool of buyers is extremely small. The only way he could get rid of it was to trade at a eye-watering loss, which make Mclaren's depreciation look like PP nautilus resale values.

The BAC Mono is purely a journalists car so they can speak of the numbers. I have yet to see anyone of them actually buy it, like they do with F cars, P Cars etc.
Sure, the 765LT is even more overpriced for what it is. And it's less fun than a BAC Mono. The irony of some people wanting only rawness (when other options are more so) and then others saying the 765LT is versatile (when that's the opposite of what so many wanted in the 720S). That's the beauty of laptimes. You're either on top, or you aren't.

Man, people are fireselling Monos? Maybe I should grab one.

All this is besides the point. McLaren should be making the best drivers car in the segment for both fun and capability. That includes the track.

I am not confident in the second. And I don't agree that a loose car fulfills the first either. We don't know as of yet where the car lies, but based on initial hype of it being the best of the last of the ICE cars, seems like it is so far missing the bullseye

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sure, the 765LT is even more overpriced for what it is. And it's less fun than a BAC Mono. The irony of some people wanting only rawness (when other options are more so) and then others saying the 765LT is versatile (when that's the opposite of what so many wanted in the 720S). That's the beauty of laptimes. You're either on top, or you aren't.

Man, people are fireselling Monos? Maybe I should grab one.
The 765LT is between a BAC and a 720S... ;) The reality is that there are now so many supercars in the market that consumers get to really fine tune what their tastes lean towards. So, raw like the BAC? Maybe not. civilized as a 720S, too much... Those of us who can afford these cars are the lucky few who can be extremely picky and indulge their sensory taste buds. A lap time while great is not a deal breaker for most.. Given the current competitive set of the exotic car market, another choice on the menu isn't necessarily a bad thing.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm mentioning the BAC mono and Ariel atom as a better play for an involving driver's car, which to some people on here, is all that matters for the 765LT. Is that incorrect? Aren't both those cars far more engaging than any traditional supercar, on the road and on track?
That's a nonsense argument.

I had a Caterham SLR, and it was more involving than I think a 765LT will be, at a fraction of the price. But that's comparing apples to grapes, they are so far apart. You might as well say a fast motorbike would be more involving.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I dont think its an issue of budget. Its really just how well planned and detail oriented like you would in a Formula 1 racing environment. Im always surprised why they cant bring that type of F1 mentality to a press release of vehicles for journalist that will help set the tone for your cars in the eyes of consumers worldwide. Getting optimally spec cars in prime condition is similar to prepping an F1 car... And its not like they are in as a much of a time crunch like in a F1 race. A shame letting all that work to elevate the car's peformance only to have a let down first impression...

We dont know what the issue is but the obvious is budget. The 765 is a big deal for McLaren so I dont think they slept on the release but rather did a poor job for this one test.

Everyone here seems to have figured it all out and making criticisms with a single test. I bet we will see what we've come to expect from this model if we just give them a chance.

I haven't driven a 765 yet, mine is expected to be delivered in December or January. I can tell you that I didnt buy it to track although I might here and there. Like the Pista and other similar models they are not ideal for the track. They are fun to run but too pretty to really run hard. The 765 will be the highest performing car available sub $1m range with the looks and sound to back it up. There is nothing else out there that will touch it for some time. Next crop are hybrids and I haven't seen a single one that interests me so far.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The 765 will be the highest performing car available sub $1m range with the looks and sound to back it up. There is nothing else out there that will touch it for some time.
From whom did you get these fake news? From the McLaren marketing department? I hope you have not paid a deposit yet.
;)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I find it hard to believe the 765LT won't be significantly faster than the 720S, though maybe not the GTR BS since that car looks like an actual track car (i.e. it's embarrassing to drive on the street). I personally would save $100-200K and buy a standard 720S, but that's just me. I don't find much value in the "track day" models and they will get surpassed in 12-24 months by the new model anyway.

But hey, if you got the cash and you like it, why not? To each their own.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I find it hard to believe the 765LT won't be significantly faster than the 720S, though maybe not the GTR BS since that car looks like an actual track car (i.e. it's embarrassing to drive on the street).
Finally someone says that ... the BS is so much race car its no more fun to drive around normally .... its even with the BS that is much much worse in my opinion than the Senna which has the hyperexotic look of a true hypercar and therefor is kind of outlawed from rules that apply to more normal cars ...

·
Registered
419 Posts
I find it hard to believe the 765LT won't be significantly faster than the 720S, though maybe not the GTR BS since that car looks like an actual track car (i.e. it's embarrassing to drive on the street). I personally would save $100-200K and buy a standard 720S, but that's just me. I don't find much value in the "track day" models and they will get surpassed in 12-24 months by the new model anyway.

But hey, if you got the cash and you like it, why not? To each their own.
I wouldn’t find this any more ‘embarrassing’ to drive on the street than a Porsche RS.

·
Registered
565 Posts
That Merc BS has 285/335 tyres, that's 140mm extra rubber width over the 765, it is built to murder the track, the 765 is built to have fun, if you want the fastest track car Mclaren make those too. (pretty sure Ron Dennis said something similar to this :LOL:)

·
Registered
227 Posts
The 765 would feel significantly quicker than the Mercedes. Scarily so. 9/10 people would be quicker in the Mercedes because of that. Honestly 755 hp (800 likely) and 2900 pounds is too much to exploit probably. Which is why the car will feel fun for years and years. Tire tech will improve and the acceleration from EVs will be beyond ICE cars. They just have no soul. So a car that can keep up with future EVs in a straight line but be fun and sound good is my kind of car.

I have no experience with GTBS but I do have experience pushing a GTR hard on the street. Controls feel weighty. Power is good but not by any means scary (my M5 feels quicker in a straight line). Car is very stable. I can see how this car taken up two notches would do so well.

·
Registered
849 Posts
From whom did you get these fake news? From the McLaren marketing department? I hope you have not paid a deposit yet.
;)

Tell us all what will be the all around better performing car. Perhaps you can also let us know your firsthand knowledge with any of these cars.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I wouldn’t find this any more ‘embarrassing’ to drive on the street than a Porsche RS.

well Porsche RS models in screaming colors have the same - driver took the wrong turn at the end of the pits look ... it’s nothing against performance on a car, but for normal road driving it looks a bit outlandish

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I think it's the equivalent of walking around wearing in shoulder pads and a helmet. They don't do anything off the field, so why would you want to wear them to Starbucks?

·
Registered
115 Posts
All my questions will be resolved once I get the car and drive it. I am expecting the 765 to address all my peferences and priorities and if it does, all else is gaslight. What Chris Harris thinks and the opinions and anxieties expressed by the nervous Nellies on car forums will be as useful as a screen door on a submarine.

661 - 680 of 861 Posts