McLaren Life banner

621 - 640 of 856 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Serious question: how is the 765LT not a better track and performance car vs the 720S? If you took a 720S and increased the power a bit, reduced weight, shortened gearing...would it not be quicker around a track? Not to mention all the extra aero and suspension tweaks...
Obviously the 765 will outperform a 720. That’s common sense. How much it outperforms it by or does it sacrifice comfort and usability? Those are the questions that hopefully can be answered but to question if it is a better performing car over a 720, in my opinion, is a bit nutty. No?
Yes but you see I've done the math's and a 1.7 second difference in lap times versus a 720s actually translates to a 9 minute 'ring time clearly the car is trash!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Serious question: how is the 765LT not a better track and performance car vs the 720S? If you took a 720S and increased the power a bit, reduced weight, shortened gearing...would it not be quicker around a track? Not to mention all the extra aero and suspension tweaks...
Obviously the 765 will outperform a 720. That’s common sense. How much it outperforms it by or does it sacrifice comfort and usability? Those are the questions that hopefully can be answered but to question if it is a better performing car over a 720, in my opinion, is a bit nutty. No?
Agreed. However, ONE test has shown it to be slower so we must accept that test as being the gospel. We must now cancel our orders and trash the car for 32 pages. Alternatively, one could wait for additional test results to come out and see how it really performs. Just a thought.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The intent of the 3 modern examples of LT is to take a regular production model and elevate its capabilities, performance and driver engagement. The 675LT accomplished that task tangibly over the 650S, same for the 600LT compared to the 570S and it will apply to the 765LT in comparison to the 720S. The LT price increases were more than worth the cost of admission since in each case the LT versions offered a salient superior driving experience. Judging by all the reviews and owner comments, it appears that for me, the improvement of the 765LT over the 720S is the difference between no interest in owning the car to being fully enamoured with it.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
The intent of the 3 modern examples of LT is to take a regular production model and elevate its capabilities, performance and driver engagement. The 675LT accomplished that task tangibly over the 650S, same for the 600LT compared to the 570S and it will apply to the 765LT in comparison to the 720S. The LT price increases were more than worth the cost of admission since in each case the LT versions offered a salient superior driving experience. Judging by all the reviews and owner comments, it appears that for me, the improvement of the 765LT over the 720S is the difference between no interest in owning the car to being fully enamoured with it.
Actually, the intent of the 3 modern examples of LT is to be the segment leader in track performance AND be significantly more engaging. Just read all the literature. There's not a single press release not talking about how it's adapted for the track. You could literally have a 720S plus a BAC Mono for the price of an optioned 765LT.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Agreed. However, ONE test has shown it to be slower so we must accept that test as being the gospel. We must now cancel our orders and trash the car for 32 pages. Alternatively, one could wait for additional test results to come out and see how it really performs. Just a thought.
"Two tests", one by McLaren themselves at Nardo. Is 1.7 seconds enough to make you happy?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Actually, the intent of the 3 modern examples of LT is to be the segment leader in track performance AND be significantly more engaging. Just read all the literature. There's not a single press release not talking about how it's adapted for the track. You could literally have a 720S plus a BAC Mono for the price of an optioned 765LT.
You're one of the maybe two people bothered by this test in this thread...

Are you going to be cancelling your 765 or just going to keep this thread alive...

I'm not bothered. I know how these tests go. I'm more concerned about what I can do with it rather than journalists.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Are you going to be cancelling your 765 or just going to keep this thread alive...
I'm not bothered. I know how these tests go. I'm more concerned about what I can do with it rather than journalists.
I think you will find there are plenty bothered by this test. Right now people can choose the just released Huracan STO, AMG BS, 765LT and who knows whats around the corner with the 992 GT3RS/2RS.

For those of us with 600LT/S who were going to upgrade - it might put us back on the fence. We might just wait to see a 600LT vs 765LT test before committing? This is a fickle market and these things do matter to many people IMO

·
Registered
2,294 Posts

that is probably the most serious issue ... that the LT should be faster is a given - how much faster another question, but the most serious question is if the car is set up in a way to be lively and action oriented it’s maybe not going to be faster for all but very few drivers ... the Senna you said yourself is very confidence inspiring and feels planted to the road ... the 765LT somehow if you read the review seems to go into another direction ...

Reactions: Riederha

·
2012 MP4-12C
812 Posts
My store just provided me the factory alignment data for the 765LT. For those in the know, any thoughts or opinions? Seems pretty reasonable a spec to me...

·
Registered
303 Posts
"Two tests", one by McLaren themselves at Nardo. Is 1.7 seconds enough to make you happy?
No as I could care less about that. I don’t need to go around telling people that my car posted the fastest lap time. Personally I do not buy these cars to take on the track (other people may). I buy them to enjoy them on the street. I honestly don’t care what cars are faster than my Pista or that my old 720s was faster. If I was a professional racer and was competing for money, sure I would care and those times would be relevant. But I’m not! These cars have way more ability than I could ever dream of having. If I drive them to 1/4 of their capability I’d be impressed.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
No as I could care less about that. I don’t need to go around telling people that my car posted the fastest lap time. Personally I do not buy these cars to take on the track (other people may). I buy them to enjoy them on the street. I honestly don’t care what cars are faster than my Pista or that my old 720s was faster. If I was a professional racer and was competing for money, sure I would care and those times would be relevant. But I’m not! These cars have way more ability than I could ever dream of having. If I drive them to 1/4 of their capability I’d be impressed.
I guess I don't understand that either. Buying a 765 hp supercar to enjoy on the street at 70 mph. If you want ultimate feel, Ariel and BAC are waving hello.

I am not the only one concerned by the latest information. And there are many who believe segment superiority (through superior engineering) is the key reason to support McLaren.

If there are issues with McLaren engineering benchmarking and projected performance targets, that speaks even deeper into the brand as a whole.

·
Registered
182 Posts
This is more of an ego thing. Mine is better that yours.... but hardly anyone can actually drive close to the car's limits... maybe except for track rats like unmac and some others here.

·
Registered
303 Posts

Actually quite a fun vid.
Matt Jones is great. He honestly enjoys what he does. When I specced my 765lt with him I let him drive my Pista. He is the only person I would trust and he had never driven one Before. As I stayed above, I do not push my cars to anywhere close to their capability but Matt sure did. He had a ton of fun and was laughing the whole drive just like he does in his videos.

·
Registered
590 Posts
This is more of an ego thing. Mine is better that yours.... but hardly anyone can actually drive close to the car's limits... maybe except for track rats like unmac and some others here.
Unfortunately, there is more to it than that, it is about business, it is about a lot of money. If there wouldn’t be the promise of a car producer to deliver more performance for more money, the creation of expectations which aren’t met, then it would be as simple as you wrote.

The game with the „hyper performance versions“ for a lot of money is becoming more and more delicate because even today the basic products already have to deliver an enormous performance, are at the limit of what is possible.

We as customers have to become more critical against all these fancy marketing promises and the producers have to rethink their product strategies.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Wow, what a thread.

It's impossible that the 765LT is slower than 720S. Power, weight, aero and suspension tweaks see to that.

So given that the results on that one test showed it as slower, the obvious logical answer that is most likely is weather and track conditions. Tests on different days are never comparable.

We won't know the true delta in performance until the weather warms up next year.

Secondly, the LT cars are about a LOT more than track times. After all, the next standard super series hybrid will set much quicker track times & straight line times.

I'm buying one for driver engagement and thrills on road, at much lower speeds than 720S needs to be going to achieve this. And for a more visceral feel in how it drives.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I guess I don't understand that either. Buying a 765 hp supercar to enjoy on the street at 70 mph. If you want ultimate feel, Ariel and BAC are waving hello.

I am not the only one concerned by the latest information. And there are many who believe segment superiority (through superior engineering) is the key reason to support McLaren.

If there are issues with McLaren engineering benchmarking and projected performance targets, that speaks even deeper into the brand as a whole.
Perhaps the 765 is not for you.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The constant harping over that track time is beynd obsessive at this point. Matt Jones drive in the 765 illuminates precisely why I purchased the car. His reaction to the intensity and the driver engagement is why I eagerly await its arrival. The 765 will engender hairs on the back of your neck to stand at attention and goose bumps to trickle down your spine while you gasp for air and an ear to ear grin appears on your face. Its all about driver involvement and inducing an adrenaline rush. And the beauty of it, is all that emotion and excitement is achievable not only at 150 MPH but readily apparent on a country road. The 765 will be epic.

621 - 640 of 856 Posts