McLaren Life banner

241 - 260 of 823 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sorry not sure how to do the link thing.

neroprufrok Yeah I used to track my 675LT a lot before the warranty expired. Now, I just don't due to the cost associated with something that goes boom. I daily drive a 911 GT3 Touring, so I'm used to hard riding cars normally. The LT is perfect for weekend trips or drives with friends and honestly isn't bad in terms of comfort. I see people buying track focused cars for the same reasons a lot of people buy ARs or super expensive watches - it's either for the capability when you won't use it or its for the craftsmanship that sets it apart.

I think you are spot on with the reasons people want the latest track orientated cars from McLaren et al.

Modern cars that are good on track are often good on the road, provided you like a firm setup (as you say) and don't mind feeling a bit tired at the end of the drive. My wife just got a Vantage GT8, which we think will be a great touring car, with plenty of room for the walking gear. We reasoned the car would be more fun on the road because you can drive it harder than say a 911 GT3 and have more chance of keeping your licence clean. Also it seems faster than it is due to the glorious noise! If you put it in 6th and cruise on the boring bits of road, you can even talk unlike the Cayman GT4!

Regarding track cars, I have just finished my 5th season of tracking the 675LT, coming from 993RS and multiple 911 GT3 and 911 GT3RS. Initially did mostly Pure McLaren and Porsche Club GB track days. Currently just Porsche Club GB track days. It has taken me a long time to feel I can drive the McLaren as hard as I drove the Porsches and I am just about there. The 675LT has been set up for the track, but is still great on the road. It now runs on on Michelin Cup 2 tyres with Surface Transform Discs with Pagid RSC1 pads all round. This hugely improves the running costs on track with no detrimental effect on performance for me.

It is a shame McLaren do not cover track days, other than Pure McLaren with their warranty. The 675LT has to be driven on a track to get the full experience for a sustained period, it is an addictive car due to the speed and the way it flows on circuit, provided you're smooth (driving). It is beautifully balanced and inspires confidence with ESC and ESC dynamic OFF (when it's really wet I leave it in ESC dynamic) . I am in no rush to sell this car (have previously changed to the newest car only to wish I had kept the older model), but I do wonder what a 620R would feel like on track. I want a 765LT, but not enough to part with the 675LT. The 765LT will be a faster car than the 675LT, but will it be different enough? The 675LT was my first McLaren, the first road going LT model, I visited the factory, saw it being built. Not sure you can compete with that, I would describe the 675LT as my 2.7RS, there is no higher praise from a Porsche fan. I will be interested in peoples opinions when they have had time in both 675LT and 765LT. An R version of the 765LT would be very tempting, but a GT4 race car would be cheaper and not much less practical for track days. So many options!

·
Registered
41 Posts
It looks like Sport Auto just tested the 765LT on the Hockenheim and will release it's lap time in the December issue. Curious to see how it compares to the AMG GT BS.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am more curious how much I will like the 765 on the road where it will be used 90% of the time. There is little doubt that it is a stellar performer on the track and whether it is the absolute fastest around any specifc track is of little consequence to me. The degree of engagement and smiles that appear on my face when driving it is what matters to me.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I am more curious how much I will like the 765 on the road where it will be used 90% of the time. There is little doubt that it is a stellar performer on the track and whether it is the absolute fastest around any specifc track is of little consequence to me. The degree of engagement and smiles that appear on my face when driving it is what matters to me.
Me too x10. That's what I want one for too. Mine will be used on road 95%+ of the time. And when on track, I'm there for fun, no to chase laptimes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Even for those who rarely or never track their cars, many take comfort and feel reassured by their car having the quickest track times or by being the fastest 0-60 or 1/4 mile. Ultimately, the thrills and pleasure your car engenders when being driven is the reason we purchase these marvelous examples of rolling art.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I’m kidding. It may interest me if they widen the bodywork. I find the Performante appears too tall/narrow, particularly from behind. It needs the Super Trofeo Evo treatment.

720- 4543 mm L x 2059 MM W x 1196 MM H
Performante- 4459 x 1924 x 1180

·
Registered
112 Posts
Any word on the street if the major publications have done their end of the year performance car tests...Car & Driver's Lightening Lap, Motor Trend's PCOY, R&T, etc...?

Just got the December issue of Motor Trend and it wasn't worth wiping my @$$ with. Was hoping to see the 765LT and many others beating up a track somewhere...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Any word on the street if the major publications have done their end of the year performance car tests...Car & Driver's Lightening Lap, Motor Trend's PCOY, R&T, etc...?

Just got the December issue of Motor Trend and it wasn't worth wiping my @$$ with. Was hoping to see the 675LT and many others beating up a track somewhere...
Curious myself. I've yet to see an American Mag publish the F8 tributo or 911 TTS tests. C&D reported 2.2 to 60 mph for the TTS but didn't release full figured. I have to assume it's for a full year end test, but when.....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Curious myself. I've yet to see an American Mag publish the F8 tributo or 911 TTS tests. C&D reported 2.2 to 60 mph for the TTS but didn't release full figured. I have to assume it's for a full year end test, but when.....
Yep. You gotta wonder about these car companies that drop a car right before the rainy/snowy season hits and we never seem to get any 3rd party test numbers until about summer of the following year...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Yep. You gotta wonder about these car companies that drop a car right before the rainy/snowy season hits and we never seem to get any 3rd party test numbers until about summer of the following year...
At least there are laptimes for Porsche's TTS. McLaren? Crickets. Terrible marketing work

·
Registered
208 Posts
Why is it relevant if Mcl have sold all 765 coupes? They may want to wait until they are close to releasing the Spyder before they release more marketing, data etc.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Why is it relevant if Mcl have sold all 765 coupes? They may want to wait until they are close to releasing the Spyder before they release more marketing, data etc.
Because it's about maintaining interest in the brand. We're on the cusp of the biggest technological shift in auto history. It's good to show ICE's still are relevant.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It’s about more than selling cars. For example, the 918 residuals were bolstered greatly when it kicked the crap out of everything. I think the 765LT is head and shoulders above the competition and exploiting that performance in major magazine tests would be good for the brand and those who received an allocation.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It’s about more than selling cars. For example, the 918 residuals were bolstered greatly when it kicked the crap out of everything. I think the 765LT is head and shoulders above the competition and exploiting that performance in major magazine tests would be good for the brand and those who received an allocation.
True but timing is everything and with Ferrari releasing the SF90 Spyder on the 12th and Lamborghini the STO very soon - its best to "keep the powder dry" for maximum benefit. I am sure Mcl Marketing folks realise this.

241 - 260 of 823 Posts