McLaren Life banner

201 - 220 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Actually, it’s 400kgs at 155 mph, so half the Senna at that speed. However, it doesn’t bleed off downforce like the Senna beyond that so total pressure will obviously be much more than 400kgs at top speed.

Would be interesting to know what the 765’s figures are. All McLaren claims is that it generates 25% more than the 720S.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Actually, it’s 400kgs at 155 mph, so half the Senna at that speed. However, it doesn’t bleed off downforce like the Senna beyond that so total pressure will obviously be much more than 400kgs at top speed.

Would be interesting to know what the 765’s figures are. All McLaren claims is that it generates 25% more than the 720S.

I think I heard in a video that it's in the 200 kg range.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts

I found the 800kg figure also strange (however read it in some review - probably the person writing it mixed up kg and lbs or maybe at max speed)

for the 720s there is still no df figure I know of ( guesstimate would be around 150-220kg at 155mph - Pista and 2rs have way more) so for the LT maybe around 220-280kg ???

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I found the 800kg figure also strange (however read it in some review - probably the person writing it mixed up kg and lbs or maybe at max speed)

for the 720s there is still no df figure I know of ( guesstimate would be around 150-220kg at 155mph - Pista and 2rs have way more) so for the LT maybe around 220-280kg ???
800 kg figure is for top speed for GT BS.

200 kg for 765 LT at 150 mph

·
Registered
325 Posts
They killed the sound of the AMG. Hopefully an aftermarket exhaust can fix that. It sounds pretty boring now.

·
2012 MP4-12C
670 Posts
200 kg for 765 LT at 150 mph
This is almost correct, I believe, based on McLaren's own percentage-based numbers, though they have never quoted a 150 mph downforce number as far as I know. Following McLaren's downforce percentage increases (at 300 KPH / 186 MPH) and using two significant digits for rounding...

MP4-12C was rated at 120 kg
650S - 24% more than 12C = 150 kg
720S - 50% more than 650S = 220 kg
765LT - 25% more than 720S = 280 kg

BONUS: 675LT - 40% more than 650S = 200 kg

So if we scale off of the speed using the fact that downforce is proportional to the square of velocity, 150 mph would yield a downforce of ~180 kg based on the 280 kg @ 186 mph figure.

As I said, close.

For anyone interested in calculating the approximate downforce at a given speed (at least to first order), use the following formula:

Est. DF = Ref. DF * (Est. Speed / Ref. Speed)^2

Est. DF = estimated downforce
Est. speed = speed at which you want to know the downforce
Ref. DF = known downforce at a known speed
Ref. speed = speed at which you know the downforce

·
Registered
195 Posts
These are nice and a friend is getting the current "Mercedes-AMG GT Black Series P One Edition" which looks stunning. Ito performance another friend had the AMG GT R and we did a long two day drive on B & C roads and he really did not like it and sold it soon thereafter

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I respect your opinion and generally agree, although there are a few AMG models that catch my attention - namely the SLS BS and GT BS.
SLS is really nice - I still like that one very much and also own one. The SLS BS is the hardcore version ... but less useful for normal street driving - however very cool looking. The GT however I never really liked too much from the looks and the BS just looks overcooked (like it was at an extreme tuning shop before it even left the factory) ...

·
Registered
360 Posts
SLS is really nice - I still like that one very much and also own one. The SLS BS is the hardcore version ... but less useful for normal street driving - however very cool looking. The GT however I never really liked too much from the looks and the BS just looks overcooked (like it was at an extreme tuning shop before it even left the factory) ...
Nice, what colour? I own an SLS BS and find it comfortable enough for street driving. That may change though once the Renntech R1 package with long tube headers and 200 cel cats are installed in a few weeks :)

As for the GT BS, I see it as a case of form following function, much like the Senna. 400kgs at 155mph is no small feat in my opinion. If it laps the Ring faster than a GT2 RS (or MR for that matter), then I think the extreme/overcooked styling will seem justified.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Nice, what colour? I own an SLS BS and find it comfortable enough for street driving. That may change though once the Renntech R1 package with long tube headers and 200 cel cats are installed in a few weeks :)

As for the GT BS, I see it as a case of form following function, much like the Senna. 400kgs at 155mph is no small feat in my opinion. If it laps the Ring faster than a GT2 RS (or MR for that matter), then I think the extreme/overcooked styling will seem justified.
well it makes sense of course... but in my opinion it just looks like a GT3 race car in which someone took the wrong turn off the race track when you see it on the road ... I know ppl like this, only in my opinion its too extreme looking (somehow I find it even more aggressive than the Senna . but thats maybe bc of the front engine and double wing)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Where did the 3,500 number come from? Some have suggested close to 6,000 (which I tend to believe).
I read it on a Ferrari forum. It seemed plausible, but I've no reason to assume it is more accurate than your 6000 figure. What's the source for that btw?

·
Registered
417 Posts
closer to 1500 600LT/LTS globally - check the 600LT thread as major analysis was done via counting each VIN in the US as well as presentation material from Mac themselves
My figure was from McLaren, and I believe it is correct. 2500-3000 600LT/S cars globally. Not 1500.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well said. Long term value wise, 675 > 765. Also Speciale > Pista.
Apples to oranges.

675/765 both "similar technology", albeit one is far more advanced.
Speciale is the last NA V8.

765 will very likely be the last limited McLaren before they go hybrid. (Apart from a very track focused probable 770-790R model.)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Agree, if they follow the 765LT with a 780R its going to have a major impact on values.
Not really. I'd still rather buy a 600LTS than a 620R.

I've considered waiting for a 770-790R, but concluded I prefer a raw/hardened road car over a softened track/race car, as mine will spend 95%+ of its time on the road. So I actually want the 765LTS instead.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Apples to oranges.

675/765 both "similar technology", albeit one is far more advanced.
Speciale is the last NA V8.

765 will very likely be the last limited McLaren before they go hybrid. (Apart from a very track focused probable 770-790R model.)
Cant see 675LT ever not being a floor for the 765LT.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I read it on a Ferrari forum. It seemed plausible, but I've no reason to assume it is more accurate than your 6000 figure. What's the source for that btw?
Source is FChat where one member referred to knowing a component supplier who referred to a production quantity of 6,500.

Another member said UK registrations up to Q3 2020 was more than 500 units, and that market traditionally represents 10% of global allocations. There will be more registrations in Q4 as well.

201 - 220 of 241 Posts