McLaren Life banner

181 - 200 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Anyone saying it will hold value better than the 675LT is not really looking at McLaren's history. The initial values are driven by instant demand within the first year. As the flipping stops and the initial "I need to get one now" feeling goes away, the values will start to drop. New cars will come out. The super rich people will sell them to get the new cars. The 2-5 year range will see a huge drop. What matters more to me when we talk about value is the 5+ range. This will depend very much on how people view the 765LT in the lens of historical McLaren cars. The 675LT has an inherent advantage because it was universally loved (read all the reviews - almost all saying this was the best car they had driven up to then and was the 4th fastest car to 124mph behind the 3 hypercars), it represents the first LT and more importantly, it really put McLaren on the map for performance supercars wheras the F1 and the P1 were great but unobtainable. It's aesthetics were also well liked - it was different enough from the 650s but not in an obvious way and more cohesive. The roof scooped ones really represented the pinnacle, the execution of which was the best integrated of all the LTs (of course subjective).

The 765LT will do well initially, the 2-5 year period I suspect will hold about as good as the 765LT. Beyond that, I think relative to the 675LT it will fall behind.

Major disclosure - I have a 675LT and I'm honest in the fact that I'm in no financial position to buy a 765LT. I don't think that invalidates my opinion, but it is a bias I note.
It’s worth noting that the 675LT was immediately bettered with the 720S, and now the 765LT. While the 765LT represents the final ICE (other than a 785R) solution before the transition to a genre that is not 100% well received. Indeed, not everyone likes the electrification of cars (plug-in, hybrid, etc). In fact, by my estimation, most do not. This is not carburetion giving way to EFI, or a manual tranny to paddles. This shift is much deeper and more unpleasant. The best/last of an ICE breed will protect the 765LT somewhat. Of course, what matters most is how good the car is. Will it be a performance monster? Will it gather a strong following? That remains to be seen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anyone saying it will hold value better than the 675LT is not really looking at McLaren's history. The initial values are driven by instant demand within the first year. As the flipping stops and the initial "I need to get one now" feeling goes away, the values will start to drop. New cars will come out. The super rich people will sell them to get the new cars. The 2-5 year range will see a huge drop. What matters more to me when we talk about value is the 5+ range. This will depend very much on how people view the 765LT in the lens of historical McLaren cars. The 675LT has an inherent advantage because it was universally loved (read all the reviews - almost all saying this was the best car they had driven up to then and was the 4th fastest car to 124mph behind the 3 hypercars), it represents the first LT and more importantly, it really put McLaren on the map for performance supercars wheras the F1 and the P1 were great but unobtainable. It's aesthetics were also well liked - it was different enough from the 650s but not in an obvious way and more cohesive. The roof scooped ones really represented the pinnacle, the execution of which was the best integrated of all the LTs (of course subjective).

The 765LT will do well initially, the 2-5 year period I suspect will hold about as good as the 765LT. Beyond that, I think relative to the 675LT it will fall behind.

Major disclosure - I have a 675LT and I'm honest in the fact that I'm in no financial position to buy a 765LT. I don't think that invalidates my opinion, but it is a bias I note.
I think the key sentence above is ‘new cars will come out’. Yes they will. but they will be fundamentally different. And more money. And to many of us - less appealing as well.

The new cars that come out will be fast but hybrid. And we probably only have one generation of that before we go full electric. Fast yes. But soulless.

the past is often a good guide to the future but every so often everything changes. This is one of those moments.

As to where the 765LT fits, its a bit too soon to tell. I think the 720s will certainly be seen as a towering achievement. From the reviews the 765 seems to be extreme and polarising. Going to be interesting.

·
2012 MP4-12C
670 Posts
From the reviews the 765 seems to be extreme and polarising.
Don't forget that there is more pressure than every to develop "clickable" reviews due to the immense power of social media. If everyone is saying a car is great, some folks may just stop clicking and some reviews would get missed. If you are one of a small subset that says a great car is NOT, more people will be drawn to your viewpoint and will click. Lots of things at play beyond the "simple" maker-buyer-resale relationship.

As stated above, time will tell on how good the car is once owners get to drive them for themselves.

·
Administrator
2,715 Posts
not really the last ... there will highly likely be another more extreme Super Series version afterwards, before they switch to hybrid and also there are still the 812GTO and F8 VS (?) , possibility some Aventardor EVO, 992GT2rs in that segment of the market
Agree, if they follow the 765LT with a 780R its going to have a major impact on values.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
lets hope they learned their lesson. The “R” models are insanity in terms of value destruction. Mclaren..... Just, say, no.
Sorry to say that but its McLaren ... they have never ended any production series without a more special versions of the specials they made before ... probably Speedtail will remain the only exception and even there I would not be 1000% sure, but I can really not imagine what they could do with it without totally pissing off their most loyal customers ...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Porsche has done it more recently by just making more cars rather than follow-up specials. But I'm not complaining otherwise I would never have qualified for a 3RS if they limited the numbers as they did for the 997.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Seems everyone is forgetting that Mclaren puts less cars out amd less frequently, than in the past. Financiel problems are holding back the „track plan“.
the „new“ sports series succesor was rescheduled almost an year back, also the 765lt spyder version, (where the units are still not confirmed to 765). And of course the succesor of the 720s moved also to the back and will not hit the road before 23 or even beginning of 24.
This takes a lot of pressure out, specialy for the 765lt, opposit to what was happend with the 675lt, where an year later the 675lt spyder was hitting the road, and very shortler after the 720s

·
Registered
501 Posts
Porsche has done it more recently by just making more cars rather than follow-up specials. But I'm not complaining otherwise I would never have qualified for a 3RS if they limited the numbers as they did for the 997.
People forget that Porsche only built limited numbers of 964RS, 993RS, 996RS and 997RS because people did not want to buy them, they built what they could sell, the 997.2 4.0RS was probably the first real invitation oversubscribed model as the madness of the Porsche hype hit in 2010 following the crash of 2008.
Mclaren thought they were riding this wave, as did their customers, with the 675LT but it was short lived.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
People forget that Porsche only built limited numbers of 964RS, 993RS, 996RS and 997RS because people did not want to buy them, they built what they could sell, the 997.2 4.0RS was probably the first real invitation oversubscribed model as the madness of the Porsche hype hit in 2010 following the crash of 2008.
Mclaren thought they were riding this wave, as did their customers, with the 675LT but it was short lived.
997.2 4.0RS was easy to get here ... with discount :ROFLMAO: My local Porsche dealer had one on the floor for over half a year and no one wanted to have it waiting for the 991GT3 and gt3rs ... He needed to offer it with 15% discount to finally sell it

Reactions: tb993tt

·
Registered
155 Posts
Dealer told me that going starting with this new hybrid the entire sports/super/ultimate series is out and they’ll be making cars by a given name. Think Senna/Speedtail/Elva. The literal names and ever increasing specials of, frankly already special cars should be over. Mclaren needs to learn their lesson.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Dealer told me that going starting with this new hybrid the entire sports/super/ultimate series is out and they’ll be making cars by a given name. Think Senna/Speedtail/Elva. The literal names and ever increasing specials of, frankly already special cars should be over. Mclaren needs to learn their lesson.
I think that is wishful thinking, read what Mike Flewitt says in the bottom link.

"We retailed about 4,500 cars in 2019 and we’ll be back to that level by 2022 or 2023".

·
Registered
34 Posts
The reviews of the 765 are following in lock step to the Pista. All the "experts" are gobsmacked with the exception of Chris Harris who voiced disappintment and preferred the 600LT. Did his opinion have any impact on the sales or depreciation of either model? The answer is no.

The 765 is an epic car that is limited in number and will, in all likelihood, repesent a benchmark in its category, the likes of which will be soon gone. Being technically stellar and accomplished seems to be beyond doubt.If it comports to my expectation with regards to driver engagement, being unfiltered and immersive, it will be a keeper. And in my world of revolving door cars, that says a lot.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
you need these Specials as ppl demand them ... from what we read about Mclarens future they will make more special editions and not less - especially for the Chinese and Asian market

Reactions: Afat675

·
Registered
McLaren 720S spider, 2020. Spark.
445 Posts
Like this idea. When people ask “What is this car?” reciting off some numbers is less meaningful to most folks. Just more fun to have a name. Less German too.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
McLaren PR is already missing a huge step. Mercedes just went and slapped the Manthey GT2RS, Pista, and 720S at Hochenheim GP.
Was "only" the regular GT2rs to my knowledge not the Manthey one ... The BS had special made Michelin C2R on it ( Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 R MO1A) and the time is 1:43:30 which is of course better than the 720s (on regular Trofeo R) or Pista ... I would not interpret too much into that time bc of the tires ...

However the NS time of the BS seems to be underwhelming (6:58:sth as works race driver time - compared to 7:08 for the 720s with corsas and journalist semi pro driver) as AMG desperately tried to get a better one by heavily modifying the car: a modified GT3 front element and a tune of120 -150hp was needed to get it to 6:40

Sport Auto Video Link:

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Was "only" the regular GT2rs to my knowledge not the Manthey one ... The BS had special made Michelin C2R on it ( Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 R MO1A) and the time is 1:43:30 which is of course better than the 720s (on regular Trofeo R) or Pista ... I would not interpret too much into that time bc of the tires ...

However the NS time of the BS seems to be underwhelming (6:58:sth as works race driver time - compared to 7:08 for the 720s with corsas and journalist semi pro driver) as AMG desperately tried to get a better one by heavily modifying the car: a modified GT3 front element and a tune of120 -150hp was needed to get it to 6:40

Sport Auto Video Link:

It beat the Manthey Racing GT2RS (MR) at Hochenheim GP. That splitter is the same one on the production car, just held by straps instead of tie rods, highly doubt Mercedes uncorked the engine, either.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
It beat the Manthey Racing GT2RS (MR) at Hochenheim GP. That splitter is the same one on the production car, just held by straps instead of tie rods, highly doubt Mercedes uncorked the engine, either.
yes you are right, I found the video of the MR 2rs ...

Now back to topic. I guess that the 765LT can still beat it, but would be surprised if it beats the Senna time (1:41:50 to 1:42:50 is what I think the 765LT will achieve) ... it has more power and is lighter than the BS with also better brakes, but the AMG GT BS seems to have very high df (800kg were mentioned which would be similar to the Senna ? right ?) and the tire advantage against the Trofeo Rs of the 765LT

181 - 200 of 241 Posts