McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully we can get at least some tests before the end of this year. Have you guys heard anything? :)

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Press launch is in Portugal later this month. Embargo until September.

Expect plenty of publicity for this car.
should be a lot of publicity: this will certainly be the car that will define what future supercars are tested against ... totally expecting this to set a lot track records for non hypercars

Reactions: shack

·
2012 MP4-12C
676 Posts
I heard recently that US reviews won’t be available until October or so. Sad day.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I heard recently that US reviews won’t be available until October or so. Sad day.
looks like McLaren's PR department takes one for the team again ... isn't it totally stupid to postpone tests and keep the embargo up till late autumn and till all cars are sold ... especially if you want to sell something (other products) and need some good news to strengthen your position in all kinds of negations with banks, future investors, customers etc ... :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Cadster

·
2012 MP4-12C
676 Posts
looks like McLaren's PR department takes one for the team again ... isn't it totally stupid to postpone tests and keep the embargo up till late autumn and till all cars are sold ... especially if you want to sell something (other products) and need some good news to strengthen your position in all kinds of negations with banks, future investors, customers etc ... :ROFLMAO:
From my contacts at McLaren, this is largely done because the people who want a coupe tend to be more hard-core track folks and will buy the car regardless of available media. The reviews are mainly to convince more people to be interested in and eventually buy the spider, which are more targeted for the road-going audience.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
From my contacts at McLaren, this is largely done because the people who want a coupe tend to be more hard-core track folks and will buy the car regardless of available media. The reviews are mainly to convince more people to be interested in and eventually buy the spider, which are more targeted for the road-going audience.
Very strange strategy in my opinion ... the 765LT coupe is quiet certainly the most hardcore car currently available below 7 digit hypercars (AMG ONE, Valkyrie) and certainly the performance benchmark in that segment. Good reviews would just show how capable McLaren is, while most of the direct competition (Lambo, Ferrari, Porsche) is either milking old platforms (SVJ) or making cars much heavier than previous generations (992, SF90) ... instead they chose to keep silent about it, while the company would be in desperate need for additional buyers and general favorable news for the Automotive division ...

Unfortunately the guys in PR at McLaren had several such ideas in the last years which also made the 720s and 600LT look somehow weak against competing products ( focusing only on the sports/track aspect of the 720s while it’s great general near daily drivable capabilities were never communicated and quiet frankly mostly ignored by the press; allowing tests against cars with track tires while 720s was on Corsas; taking the 720s vs the most hardcore track cars like 2rs SVJ and Pista, or cars a category higher like eg the Pista vs 600LT comparison). All these somehow made the cars look weaker than they really are, while many of their strengths were largely ignored in communication with the press (eg. technological advanced concepts like the general use cf tubs and focus on lightweight cars, only cars with all winged doors in their respective classes which will always make them look more exotic than conventional doors, very good suspension and transmission for daily use away from track setups etc.) ...

·
Registered
224 Posts
TG review (where is Chris Harris?) is near the opposite of what most others are saying.

Wait for the direct comparisons and lap times as the initial reviews don't mean much.

Reactions: Lrsdranger

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have to say I love it. I wasn't expecting it but I really do. The 675LT was a Joy. Guess I'll just wait for one of you guys to put one up for sale on the classified because I've already been told I couldn't get an allocation back around June.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have to say I love it. I wasn't expecting it but I really do. The 675LT was a Joy. Guess I'll just wait for one of you guys to put one up for sale on the classified because I've already been told I couldn't get an allocation back around June.
Keep reminding your nearby (or not so nearby) dealers. Cancelations often occur.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Even with Catchpole I left with a sensation that the 765lt is a improved 720s rather than a 'new'/very different car to the 720s as 675lt was.
I wonder if a well depreciated 720s on senna seats, trofeo r (or a 20/20 wheel setup on pista cup r, power steering delete and with a proper geo wouldn't be a better proposition for track (with money factored in, as we are talking about track cars and accidents happen a lot)..
At least it will be quite a fun car with a lot of the kinks and little weak points adressed, from engine bay heat soak, the weak arse head gaskets that start weeping for no reason, to the accumulators, to the inlet pipes, at least it will be a much more peaceful and less stressful ownership.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I didn't get that impression. But then I guess if I couldn't get allocation it would be easy to form that. Looks like you may need to keep wondering whether an upspec'd 720 with senna seats and a set of trofeo R's will cut muster with the new big brother.

1 - 20 of 246 Posts