McLaren Life banner

81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
In The UK it is noticeable that Mclaren have tried to do something different with 765. They have gone only to people who keep their cars long term. But maybe that's not true everywhere. UK got its allocation reduced by a fair bit, so maybe that became easier to do. When Senna came out it took only a week or two for a car to come up for sale. No 765 have come up yet publicly for the UK. Maybe US and ROW are different. I know a lot went to US so you might expect a few to come up - and they have. But perhaps fewer than might be expected. Mclaren have been quite public about not making any more pure ICE. I suspect the people who do want to change cars will sell to people who do want to keep them.

We have seen the effect on price of limiting the production of a car. Like 600LT vs 675LT. But how much more dramatic if we know, because of regulations, that there will never be another car like this?

I suppose I'm just saying - this time it really is different.
well maybe for the UK that was the right thing to do as Mclaren there is much weaker in resale than in other countries.

however numbers for the 765LT are way bigger : If it’s 765/765+ Specials vs 500/500+ 90 specials (Carbon edition, HS, MSO R ... we are still talking about at least 50-60% more inventory to a worldwide market that is more saturated and with a general worse perception of Mclaren keeping long term value as the first 675LT had ... and that 675LT market always has about 10-15% (down from 20+%) floating around for reale...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Only 765 of these for the world, the US will get fewer than 200 so there will be a lot less of these than any other recent car. I'm sure some will flip but I bet many will hold on as nothing else compares right now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tried for 2 months to get a coupe allocation, with no luck...finally Dallas McLaren came through and got me the white 765 I've been wanting. It will be my first McLaren and I'm nervous to pay MSRP given McLaren's history of depreciation, but, this car is too great to worry about the depreciation. I can't wait to get mine.
Peter

·
2012 MP4-12C
936 Posts
Only 765 of these for the world, the US will get fewer than 200 so there will be a lot less of these than any other recent car. I'm sure some will flip but I bet many will hold on as nothing else compares right now.
FWIW, I heard that the USA was getting just shy of 300 allocations. Either way, I have only seen one for sale with 1,100 miles and a fairly low ~$380K spec and it sold in under a week for ~$450K.

Short term values appear great, as mentioned above. Future predictions require a crystal ball (mine is still sitting at the BH service department 🤣) but I will not be letting this car go. There is nothing that comes close even if you add another 2-3x the cost.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Cars are a depreciating asset. The only ones that don't are ones that are original, 0 miles still on the MSO and never registered that have been wrapped in plastic and stored away for 20 years. Look at values on BMW E30 M3's for the longest time they were a $15-20,000 used car. Then they were "discovered" and now the ones that were packed away and never played with are worth big money. But to me where is the fun in having a car like this and not driving it. Kinda like having a hot wife and not FKing her... BTW I love the depreciation because I would never put close to $500,000 down on a car unless it was a classic Ferrari.

·
Registered
404 Posts
There have been a total of 3 765 on Autotrader. 2 have been sold, the black one remains. Will 765 depreciate? yup. ITs not a investment. its an adventure. I usually am happy to pay for adventures.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Cars are a depreciating asset. The only ones that don't are ones that are original, 0 miles still on the MSO and never registered that have been wrapped in plastic and stored away for 20 years. Look at values on BMW E30 M3's for the longest time they were a $15-20,000 used car. Then they were "discovered" and now the ones that were packed away and never played with are worth big money. But to me where is the fun in having a car like this and not driving it. Kinda like having a hot wife and not FKing her... BTW I love the depreciation because I would never put close to $500,000 down on a car unless it was a classic Ferrari.
So if you won't put down $500k for a car, can we take it you didn't get a 765 then? If you are hoping to get one on the cheap as everyone piles into hybrids - I think you might be in for a disappointment. Everybody who has spent $500k on one seems pleased as heck with them. But time will tell.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Many type of people buy these cars. Most are car enthusiasts, some have the attitude that these cars are just cool things to have, some are in the business of servicing cars, buying/selling.

Some are part of collections, some buyers buy to hold and sell many years laters (these types of buyers who are always talking about investment, etc., are the most miniscule of buyers but the type that hang around car forums and continue to post these types of topics).

I'm of the opinion that more buyers the better... however, do not be fooled into thinking that these are investments. Whoever, told you is just trying to fool you into buying one. People have podcasts, youtube channels, etc., just to talk about the topic that they have very little understanding or data.

Reactions: Capsfan and taw6189

·
2012 MP4-12C
936 Posts
depreciate? yup. IT
There have been a total of 3 765 on Autotrader. 2 have been sold, the black one remains. Will 765 depreciate? yup. ITs not a investment. its an adventure. I usually am happy to pay for adventures.
Where? I haven't seen any on AT.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
There is a volcano orange with roof scoop for sale through banned auto group (broker/re-seller in Los Angeles), my broker andrew is looking for a low spec 765 also. (he's already re-sold two of them).

Chicago Motor Cars had one for sale but it was sold quickly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There is a volcano orange with roof scoop for sale through banned auto group (broker/re-seller in Los Angeles), my broker andrew is looking for a low spec 765 also. (he's already re-sold two of them).

Chicago Motor Cars had one for sale but it was sold quickly.
Do you have a link to the one with the broker 'Banned Auto Group'? Can't see it on their site.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Do you have a link to the one with the broker 'Banned Auto Group'? Can't see it on their site.
I happen to know those guys. .

it’s not listed on their website ; bannedauto.com

below is instagram posting from mclarens for sale. banned auto group has a private account but they have it listed on their instagram.

A86A755E-2ED7-4124-86EA-825CF1B8508E.png

Reactions: Woozle

·
Registered
108 Posts
they're for sure going above msrp right now. but they were even peddling (or trying to) the huracan evo rwd over msrp for awhile and that's supposed to be the base version. lots of demand while other discretionary spending outlets are closed off, plus production slowdowns.

·
Registered
203 Posts
IMO the 765LT is probably the last v8 turbo produced by McLaren. Future cars will be v6 turbo hybrids...

·
2012 MP4-12C
936 Posts
I love the car... like seriously love it... but I would be hard-pressed to say no to a significant overpayment offer. My MSRP was just over $480K before tax. Not sure what it would take, but certainly the first number would need to be a 6 or more...

·
Registered
614 Posts
No 765 have come up yet publicly for the UK. Mclaren have been quite public about not making any more pure ICE. I suspect the people who do want to change cars will sell to people who do want to keep them.

But how much more dramatic if we know, because of regulations, that there will never be another car like this?

I suppose I'm just saying - this time it really is different.
Agree 100% on all these points, and my thinking too.

I'm buying mine as a lifetime keeper, and plan to own it as long as I'm physically able to drive it.

This car is the zenith of what McLaren will achieve in pure ICE.

·
Registered
306 Posts
It is very sad that ICE has reached such a high level of development just in time for regulations to kill it. Enjoy while we can. I think this will be a brief period in history looked back upon fondly by car enthusiasts.

I too will be keeping this car a very long time. That's why I specced it much higher than I normally would.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Anyone here thinks Porsche/VW might help resurrect ICEs with their (currently being developed) synthetic fuel? I feel like battery powered cars will be the quartz watches of the automotive world but just like mechanical watches there will be a thriving yet niche community for ICE cars simply due to passion

81 - 100 of 106 Posts