McLaren Life banner

41 - 60 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
yes that the unfairness about that - for McLaren it seems every new pain job is somehow made up in social media to be an entirely new car - while VAG makes such variations all the time and no one really cares or even takes note ... I also don't know how ppl can seriously say paint jobs (Senna LM/Senna CanAM) or bespoke commissions (MSO R/ MSO HS 688) or tuner specials (P1 Lm /P1 GTR Street/ P1 GT) etc are really seen as individual cars ...
‘Mclaren will get there just takes time. Remember Porsche had 3 models 911, 928, and the 944 they almost went bankrupt...............history is a predictor of the future.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
McLaren is the most exclusive of the bunch and depreciation seems to be mostly caused by the factory delivering cars to dealers that weren't ordered or from people canceling orders or not getting financing. Having more independent shops local to buyers would help as well. As of today their depreciation curve is on par with the others except maybe some of the more special cars such as 911 Touring or manual GT3. Even new Ferraris aren't holding anymore - especially the Lusso's and 812's which might be the fastest depreciating cars made.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
‘Mclaren will get there just takes time. Remember Porsche had 3 models 911, 928, and the 944 they almost went bankrupt...............history is a predictor of the future.
Difference being McLaren probably wont make an SUV. All the others have or are in process.

·
Registered
368 Posts
McLaren is the most exclusive of the bunch and depreciation seems to be mostly caused by the factory delivering cars to dealers that weren't ordered or from people canceling orders or not getting financing. Having more independent shops local to buyers would help as well. As of today their depreciation curve is on par with the others except maybe some of the more special cars such as 911 Touring or manual GT3. Even new Ferraris aren't holding anymore - especially the Lusso's and 812's which might be the fastest depreciating cars made.
I agree with you back to brand strategy ........I have a friend that runs a MAC store and they just send them cars to sell with no buyers. I get the reason they do it, they need to keep the line running to keep the workers busy. The only way to solve the production line being full is filler cars that you know you can sell. Not to keep bring up Porsche I’ve hired their supply chain consultants they maximize every minute in production and it has to be profitably. We also hired Mclaren’s technology division really good. If you study large aircraft manufacturers.......they all hired Toyota to maximize production/cost of production. Mclaren doesn’t have a car problem they’re great they have a line problem which they understand just takes time. When they ship cars to the dealer, the dealer has to pay for them and that keeps the cash register ringing. Byproduct dealer is stuck with cars, and now they discount to sell ....you have some dealer sitting on 1 year old 720’s. Not enough buyers this high in the food chain at this price point, get rid of the marketing/sales guys not forecasting the market correctly. Sorry for the long rant .......I love their brand and want them to get it right.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Difference being McLaren probably wont make an SUV. All the others have or are in process.
Agree that damn lambo SUV prints money and still trades close to MSRP, I’m not into race car SUV’s, if I can take to Home Depot not for me. By the way your 765 is a killer spec.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Funny the new GT3 launch goes live in 15 minutes, and the cult is lined up at the door to pay over for the car. It’s the same engine in my Speedster with maybe 5 more horse power, but a line out the door more buyers than cars. Goes back to supply chain.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Depreciation on past Mclaren models has little to do with the amount of models and the introduction of the offspring of those models, but rather the result of dealers having unsold cars in stock which they sell at a discount. It is a short sighted business model adhered to by Mclaren and the dealers, which may initially bolster sales but the long term affect of steep depreciation creates a disincentive for customers to purchase new cars. Ferrari and to a lesser extent, Lamborghini as well, rarely have demo or inventory cars. Ferrari sales are all undertaken by placing orders which can take up to 18 months for delivery and discounts are not offered.Lamborghini is more flexible in their sales approach and will offer a small discount.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Depreciation on past Mclaren models has little to do with the amount of models and the introduction of the offspring of those models, but rather the result of dealers having unsold cars in stock which they sell at a discount. It is a short sighted business model adhered to by Mclaren and the dealers, which may initially bolster sales but the long term affect of steep depreciation creates a disincentive for customers to purchase new cars. Ferrari and to a lesser extent, Lamborghini as well, rarely have demo or inventory cars. Ferrari sales are all undertaken by placing orders which can take up to 18 months for delivery and discounts are not offered.Lamborghini is more flexible in their sales approach and will offer a small discount.
thats the problem if you are on a growth strategy in a stagnant or even declining market - the international super and hypercars market stopped growing around 2018-19 ... McLaren still wanted to reach 6000 units around that time, with all other manufacturers on similar strategies

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think McLaren needs to work on giving a longer term warranty or a more cost effective warranty extension program. I know this is a big turn off to many who considered buying McLaren but went Ferrari. I truly hope they do something for this.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I think McLaren needs to work on giving a longer term warranty or a more cost effective warranty extension program. I know this is a big turn off to many who considered buying McLaren but went Ferrari. I truly hope they do something for this.
The Ferrari warranty is the same cost as Mclarens. The 7 year deal they provide is only for basically fluids/filters and not mechanical items.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Time for an SUV to reach that number without compromising sales strategy for the super cars.
Timeframe for the ICE SUV is over and for hybrids is closing at a very fast speed - I would say that even AM was already late by 2-3 years ...

If they make one to be released in 2-3 years they need to go the EV route maybe with a hybrid option ... that however is mostly impossible as mclarens cf tubes are not in any way fitting for the skateboard design with battery integrated into the structure that is state of the art in that segment ...

·
Registered
298 Posts
The warranty is the same for Mclaren, Lamborghini and Ferrari - 3 years comprehensive. Ferrari many years ago, instituted the 7 year free maintenance program. This is not a warranty. Includes yearly oil changes, filters and liquid changes as required. However, this program has now undergone modification. Since 2019, owner is no longer guaranteed a yearly oil change. It now depends on mileage driven and an analysis of the ECU to determine whether an oil change and/or the filters are necessary. Many cars are thereby denied the complimentary service.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The warranty on Artura is 1 year longer than Ferraris. Shorter inclusive servicing though.

So they are moving in the right direction. Doesn't help us on 765LT though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I mean - I'd use the 675lt as a benchmark. Similar starting price once optioned. Production for the 765lt should be higher once the inevitable spider version gets launched, but if it doesn't then maybe it'll hold better.

·
Registered
616 Posts
once the inevitable spider version gets launched, but if it doesn't then maybe it'll hold better.
Considering I placed my deposit last year and started to spec it, I'd certainly hope it will be launched ;)

My dealer's entire allocation of Spiders is already sold out btw, and they have a wait list in case of cancellations.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Down.

But what's wrong with the route of the 720S? The cars came out in late 2017 IIRC, it's practically March 2021, and the launch cars still ask low-to-mid 200s and they are high mileage cars. I mean, I guess if you spec'd a $400K+ MSO car it was a bit worse, but I don't think $100K depreciation over 3-4 years is a bad route to take on a $350K car.

I would not expect 765LT residuals to be that much different in dollar terms once you factor in the typically high price of the LT and how quickly new stuff comes out. McLarens just don't hold value like special edition Ferraris and they probably never will. It's just a different brand that appeals to different buyers.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Nope, we are the same people buying both brands for the most part. I do have a feeling this car will do better than most other Mclarens in the past as there is nothing like it on the market almost at any price point.

Would certainly agree with you ... only thing is that most McLaren cars are actually sold to ppl who also drive them (Ulimate series only a few do) and unlike Ferrari LE are not for a big percentage of the used market more or less untouched 2-3 years later ... that's also part of the equation why Ferrari LEs (being more of a money holding box in bigger collections, with some upwards potential) generally hold value better than most Mclarens including the LTs

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Would certainly agree with you ... only thing is that most McLaren cars are actually sold to ppl who also drive them (Ulimate series only a few do) and unlike Ferrari LE are not for a big percentage of the used market more or less untouched 2-3 years later ... that's also part of the equation why Ferrari LEs (being more of a money holding box in bigger collections, with some upwards potential) generally hold value better than most Mclarens including the LTs
To your point I only had about 1300 miles on my Pista after 18 months. I plan to drive the 765 every day the weather allows regardless of depreciation.

41 - 60 of 106 Posts