McLaren Life banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
your pt. # 1 is why i chose to keep my 720s, skip the LT allocation and get the replacement 720s which will be baddass. i have a sense the 765LT is going to get wacked with the 720s replacement out in 3 years... hybrid? yes but it will be a tech marvel and alot of Mac owners are tech geeks... it wont have all the shortcomings of the SF90. I cant wait! sorry to divert but thats why i declined the allocation and your first point got me to respond .

I fear that the 765 will follow same trend as 600lt and 675. its my 5th mclaren and i have alot of other toys but not sure the upgrade from 720 to 765 is really worth it. the issue is the 720 is too good. IMHO.
The 720S certainly is amazing. I kept saying to myself how could I ever need something faster than this during my drive, but I'm always drawn towards the track focused cars such as the LT models, Performantes, Pistas, etc. I just love that extra bit of menace the aero bits add. Hard to imagine the hybrid replacement spanking the 765LT, not saying it won't, just hard to fathom! Curious when we'll start seeing actual road tests with the 765LT?

As you already own a 720 I can definitely see why you'd pass on the 765. Not sure I'd want to wait for the hybrid to finally own a Mac though. I initially passed on the 650S, loved the 675LT but the 720s and now 765LT has made that desire go away sadly. Just need to start somewhere :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Personally, I think the 765 might hold its value well in the long run, but not in the first few years. EVs might be faster in a straight line and for short runs, but are boring IMO. People will start to miss the sounds of a gas powered engine.

That being said, there is something intriguing about the new Tesla Roadster with thrusters...although not sure how crazy I am about having a 10,000psi bomb sitting being me in a wreck...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
your pt. # 1 is why i chose to keep my 720s, skip the LT allocation and get the replacement 720s which will be baddass. i have a sense the 765LT is going to get wacked with the 720s replacement out in 3 years... hybrid? yes but it will be a tech marvel and alot of Mac owners are tech geeks... it wont have all the shortcomings of the SF90. I cant wait! sorry to divert but thats why i declined the allocation and your first point got me to respond .

I fear that the 765 will follow same trend as 600lt and 675. its my 5th mclaren and i have alot of other toys but not sure the upgrade from 720 to 765 is really worth it. the issue is the 720 is too good. IMHO.
our situation (having a 720s) is different from OP ;) ... when I would not have a 720s and have the possibility to still get a 765LT, I would certainly much harder think about it and probably do it , than when already having the mind blowing fast 720s ...

·
Registered
90 Posts
our situation (having a 720s) is different from OP ;) ... when I would not have a 720s and have the possibility to still get a 765LT, I would certainly much harder think about it and probably do it , than when already having the mind blowing fast 720s ...
I can understand your point of view. In my case still having the 675lt and the 720s, i do like more the way the Lts drive than the regular serie, but beside the 765lt coming end of the year i keep the 720s as daily. Dont wanna and need to sellt the car and make a second owner very happy and take the hit for them.

Concerning odering the 765lt. I think the orders ar confirmend and the vins are out. I do have comfirmation of my vin, so i think the others should have it to.

I think the 765lt will do well, spyder not befoe 2022, replacement Superseriesnot before 2023.
As mentioned already i do not see competition in the near future for the 765lt.
992 GT2 Rs is not ready 3-4 years out, new aventador neither, nor a VS of the F8 Tributo.

I think only around 300 765Lt coming to
the Us, cant see it hard to sell them there

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I can understand your point of view. In my case still having the 675lt and the 720s, i do like more the way the Lts drive than the regular serie, but beside the 765lt coming end of the year i keep the 720s as daily. Dont wanna and need to sellt the car and make a second owner very happy and take the hit for them.

Concerning odering the 765lt. I think the orders ar confirmend and the vins are out. I do have comfirmation of my vin, so i think the others should have it to.

I think the 765lt will do well, spyder not befoe 2022, replacement Superseriesnot before 2023.
As mentioned already i do not see competition in the near future for the 765lt.
992 GT2 Rs is not ready 3-4 years out, new aventador neither, nor a VS of the F8 Tributo.

I think only around 300 765Lt coming to
the Us, cant see it hard to sell them there
if you have the space and possibility to use the cars enough that is certainly the way to go ... I also think the 765LT is the easier to live with track toy than the Senna while not being as extreme as the 620R or even Senna (GTR)... bit of a sweet spot on the lineup ... I also don’t really see the others being used very much on track (probably also a thing of running costs) while super series cars seem to be used very often ...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have no doubt the 765LT will be an amazing benchmark car. But I don’t need to be hit over the head over and over again to realize that no matter how good it may be, it will depreciate like a rock just like the more limited and arguably more special 675LT (being their first LT car), the less expensive and more obtainable 600LT, and now even the mighty Senna. 765 coupes and 765 spiders is simply too many cars. Especially during a global Economic downturn.

I’ve taken my licking on my 675LTS but since I’m keeping it it doesn’t matter. However, trying to justify losing $150k on my 720s to get the 765LT, which will then probably lose an additional $100k, all within a three and half year period, is just not a winning proposition for me. Especially if (more likely when) Mclaren introduces the 800R or whatever they decide to make up.

I absolutely love Mclaren’s cars but their business model is broken. Unless they can prove they’re at least attempting to right the ship, I’ll keep enjoying my 675LTS and 720s and hopefully pick up a slightly used Senna for 30-40% off within the next year. Something I never even imagined possible a year ago....yet here we are with cars starting to trade in the high 700s.

My guess is, if by the end of the year, when the cars start showing up, the economy slides into a deep recession, which more than likely It will, a lot of 765LT buyers/speculators will balk on their orders, leaving a glut of cars on dealership lots. Only then I’ll consider picking one up with a hefty discount. It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds. Time will certainly tell.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have no doubt the 765LT will be an amazing benchmark car. But I don’t need to be hit over the head over and over again to realize that no matter how good it may be, it will depreciate like a rock just like the more limited and arguably more special 675LT (being their first LT car), the less expensive and more obtainable 600LT, and now even the mighty Senna. 765 coupes and 765 spiders is simply too many cars. Especially during a global Economic downturn.

I’ve taken my licking on my 675LTS but since I’m keeping it it doesn’t matter. However, trying to justify losing $150k on my 720s to get the 765LT, which will then probably lose an additional $100k, all within a three and half year period, is just not a winning proposition for me. Especially if (more likely when) Mclaren introduces the 800R or whatever they decide to make up.

I absolutely love Mclaren’s cars but their business model is broken. Unless they can prove they’re at least attempting to right the ship, I’ll keep enjoying my 675LTS and 720s and hopefully pick up a slightly used Senna for 30-40% off within the next year. Something I never even imagined possible a year ago....yet here we are with cars starting to trade in the high 700s.

My guess is, if by the end of the year, when the cars start showing up, the economy slides into a deep recession, which more than likely It will, a lot of 765LT buyers/speculators will balk on their orders, leaving a glut of cars on dealership lots. Only then I’ll consider picking one up with a hefty discount. It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds. Time will certainly tell.
Wait...currently trading in the high $700’s? Really? USD?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm currently debating my spec for the LT....can someone explain the benefits (or not) of the Senna brake upgrade? Thank you

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm currently debating my spec for the LT....can someone explain the benefits (or not) of the Senna brake upgrade? Thank you
I just went through that. If you don't go to the track, the brake upgrade makes no sense as 720s brakes are very good.I would spend that 18k for more carbon instead if it's street driving. vice versa.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
if you take the track pack pro it’s included ...

pros:
  • more stopping power
unknown:
  • maybe wear is lower than 720s brake
negative:
  • a bit heavier
  • replacement parts way more expensive and probably longer waiting times because they are not as readily available as the 720s replacement parts

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm after a bit of advice on the 765. Probably going to suck up the depreciation on my one year old 720 and get a 765 but not sure about the colours. My dealer is not able to get any new colour samples which isn't great when you're spending this much. My current car is Azores which I really like (again) but it would be an extra $10K here for the MSO (over Elite) option. Has anyone seen Nardo orange in real life? In pictures it looks like a solid rather than metallic colour. Can anyone confirm this? Myan orange looks a bit pale for my liking compared to Azores. Once again no sample. If I have to go MSO, the options brought into play include Helios and Volcano Orange. I've seen VO which I think may be better than Azores but I haven't seen Helios. Does anyone know how that compares in shade and character of the metal flake compared with Azores and VO?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I'm after a bit of advice. Probably going to suck up the depreciation on my one year old 720 and get a 765 but not sure about the colours. My dealer is not able to get any new colour samples which isn't great when you're spending this much. My current car is Azores which I really like (again) but it would be an extra $10K here for the MSO (over Elite) option. Has anyone seen Nardo orange in real life? In pictures it looks like a solid rather than metallic colour. Can anyone confirm this? Myan orange looks a bit pale for my liking compared to Azores. Once again no sample. If I have to go MSO, the options brought into play include Helios and Volcano Orange. I've seen VO which I think may be better than Azores but I haven't seen Helios. Does anyone know how that compares in shade and character of the metal flake compared with Azores and VO?
still think that VO is the best orange McLaren ever made ... seen it on P1, 675LT and 720s so far ... always looked great

·
Registered
208 Posts
I spoke with a salesman at McLaren of Charlotte who told me several things:
1) Mclaren is back in production of two vehicles the Elva and the 765LT all other orders for 2020 have been cancelled (!).
2)They are the largest (or one of the largest dealerships) and have been allocated nine (9) which are all spoken for.
3)They have a waiting list 20 people deep if anyone drops off the list.
4)There are VERY few 2020 720s coupes out there that are new (they have two) the numbers of coupes produced in 2020 is very small.
5)There are about 350 600LT coupes in the US.
With that knowledge IF you have an allocation for a 765LT I would get it. I would shy away from the Senna Brakes since they will be GOD awful expensive to replace if you track the car a lot. Pagid has the pads for most McLaren so I would think that the 765LT will be no different.
Go with Volcano Orange. It is an amazing color. That or Fire Black. I LOVE that color.

·
Registered
324 Posts

very good post and the exact reason I passed on the allocation of the 765. For the 250k it would cost me to upgrade from my 2018 720 to a 765- I just can’t do it. The 720 is the best car I own and I’d rather take the 250k and add a Porsche or 600LT to the garage instead of replacing my 720 with the 765. With the resale on the 600LT, I can’t see not getting the 765 for a massive discount ina few years. No doubt it will be a spectacular car. It will be the best. But I’m gonna take a hard pass.

·
Registered
310 Posts
very good post and the exact reason I passed on the allocation of the 765. For the 250k it would cost me to upgrade from my 2018 720 to a 765- I just can’t do it. The 720 is the best car I own and I’d rather take the 250k and add a Porsche or 600LT to the garage instead of replacing my 720 with the 765. With the resale on the 600LT, I can’t see not getting the 765 for a massive discount ina few years. No doubt it will be a spectacular car. It will be the best. But I’m gonna take a hard pass.
That’s where I’m at and why I bought a 600LT a couple months ago at a huge discount. Will watch for a one year old 756LT when the time comes.

Also, agreed on Volcano Orange. Just an awesome color and what I would choose if I were buying a new one.

As far as Senna brakes, are the calipers different/better? If so, I could see getting them and getting some Surface Transform rotors right away and put the stock ones on the shelf.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The Senna calipers are standard on the 765. If you option the brake upgrade you get the Senna discs (I think all 4 but would like someone to confirm this) which have better thermal conductivity and I've heard longer life. You also get the Senna pads. The calipers remain the standard ones all 765s get.

From the product guide...……………...

Back to my previous question, can anyone who has seen it in real life confirm if Nardo is a solid colour?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I spoke with a salesman at McLaren of Charlotte who told me several things:
1) Mclaren is back in production of two vehicles the Elva and the 765LT all other orders for 2020 have been cancelled (!).
2)They are the largest (or one of the largest dealerships) and have been allocated nine (9) which are all spoken for.
3)They have a waiting list 20 people deep if anyone drops off the list.
4)There are VERY few 2020 720s coupes out there that are new (they have two) the numbers of coupes produced in 2020 is very small.
5)There are about 350 600LT coupes in the US.
With that knowledge IF you have an allocation for a 765LT I would get it. I would shy away from the Senna Brakes since they will be GOD awful expensive to replace if you track the car a lot. Pagid has the pads for most McLaren so I would think that the 765LT will be no different.
Go with Volcano Orange. It is an amazing color. That or Fire Black. I LOVE that color.
all 2020 0rders cancelled? really? I would think that could provide some support for our current 720s values? what does that mean for the replacement 720...? is that pushed out? i would think they need to account for the current cancelled orders maybe as a 2021?

also, How can Mclaren make money selling Elva and 765 only? You sure about this?

I wish someone would come acquire this company and solve this McLaren going concern problems... love brand and i have owned 3 Mac’s but company needs some direction and more economies of scale...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
all 2020 0rders cancelled? really? I would think that could provide some support for our current 720s values? what does that mean for the replacement 720...? is that pushed out? i would think they need to account for the current cancelled orders maybe as a 2021?

also, How can Mclaren make money selling Elva and 765 only? You sure about this?

I wish someone would come acquire this company and solve this McLaren going concern problems... love brand and i have owned 3 Mac’s but company needs some direction and more economies of scale...
i think this is slightly misleading ... from what I was told they have just closed the availability of 2020 build slots for the 720s (meaning if you order one it will only arrive in q1-2 2021) ... it makes sense to first make the 765LT coupe production run and afterwards make 720s again so you don’t need to change from one production model to the other all the time in the line ... additionally there will be lots of modifications on the production line from 570s to its hybrid successor (rumor wise also using a different new chassis and of course different power train) ... these will also probably take some time and I guess with COVID-19 the resources of international equipment teams and possibility to get the ppl to UK to build up the production line for the hybrids have been greatly affected (more than regular production which can be planed) ...

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Realistically speaking, one should expect that EVERYTHING is in limbo until the company has some visibility on how their operating cash situation will play out. Any existing plans must be highly subject to change, perhaps on a daily basis, as they work through the legal process on their funding issues.

Oh, also never believe anything a dealer tells you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 74 Posts