McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,
After contemplating an Aventador SV I've put that idea aside for now and have been, almost on a whim, considering ordering a 765LT. It sounds like I could get an allocation, although a few places have told me there's an approval process I would need to go through, which I'm not really convinced Mclaren can afford to be selective like that under the current conditions but anywho. For those who have placed an order for a 765LT, or prior LT models, have you been required to put down a healthy deposit to secure an allocation?

And has anyone been able to negotiate anything of MSRP? I read on here, I believe, someone who was approached with 5% off MSRP. If there's more than one example of someone being offered any sort of discount I'll try and let patience prevail, otherwise chalk it up as an outlier. As a side note, does Mclaren offer any sort of benefits/discounts with their European delivery program? I think I can already guess the answer though :)

After driving a 720S I have to say I'm even more excited about the 765LT, but truth be told, of the 3 major exotic brands, a Mclaren would have normally been the last car I'd want to buy new. I'm not sure if I'm prepared to take a $100k hit or more over the first two years but I'm trying to convince my brain to align with my heart. My intent would be to keep this car for 5+ years however, as it would offer the performance, tech, and styling to last well into the future I believe. I'm generally not one to go through cars quickly, so I want to make a purchase like this really count. Appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I guess with most dealers in the US you could be lucky if you get one at MSRP and don't need have owned one or more cars before ... the 5% I guess is really down to your strategy in negotiations but don't expect it if you are a new customer

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
One more thing if you wanna keep the car longer and limit the depreciation - in general Mclaren cars with some more or less unique MSO color Blues/Satin Silver/Volcano Red/Volcano Orange or some other tasteful not too loud stuff (which is not that much more than the Elite paint) hold value much better than more standard colored ones where there are usually plenty of options on the used market

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One more thing if you wanna keep the car longer and limit the depreciation - in general Mclaren cars with some more or less unique MSO color Blues/Satin Silver/Volcano Red/Volcano Orange or some other tasteful not too loud stuff (which is not that much more than the Elite paint) hold value much better than more standard colored ones where there are usually plenty of options on the used market
That is why I question the demand for this car with what's happening in the world, as none of the dealers I have contacted have flat out said they don't have any allocations available. Had it been any other year I'm sure it would be a different situation, but I can only look to the 600LT as a data point and see what's happening with that car.

I also question whether or not wait for them to show up to dealers and perhaps pick one up off the showroom like could be done with the 600LT now. Might have a shot at negotiating off MSRP easier than ordering one. Only problem I worry about is finding the spec I want that way. You mention color, and I actually love the Nardo Orange they debuted the car in. If I thought there would be a number of LT's in this color available I'd maybe just wait. As always, thanks for your insight ChrisK.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
That is why I question the demand for this car with what's happening in the world, as none of the dealers I have contacted have flat out said they don't have any allocations available. Had it been any other year I'm sure it would be a different situation, but I can only look to the 600LT as a data point and see what's happening with that car.

I also question whether or not wait for them to show up to dealers and perhaps pick one up off the showroom like could be done with the 600LT now. Might have a shot at negotiating off MSRP easier than ordering one. Only problem I worry about is finding the spec I want that way. You mention color, and I actually love the Nardo Orange they debuted the car in. If I thought there would be a number of LT's in this color available I'd maybe just wait. As always, thanks for your insight ChrisK.
Allocation (or paying a deposit) does not really mean anything as long as McLaren did not confirm your order and gave you a VIN ... before that it’s only at the dealer and not in the production plan ...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Allocation (or paying a deposit) does not really mean anything as long as McLaren did not confirm your order and gave you a VIN ... before that it’s only at the dealer and not in the production plan ...
Dealers just got their second allocation to submit to Mclaren (in USA) First ones got submitted about 3 weeks ago. My dealer has 13 allocations.

Dealers won't say no to anyone to get on the list. There is an interest list (anyone), list approved by Mclaren USA (more then allocations available), dealer then allocates to that list but doesn't guarantee anything (whether person gets the allocation and/or when they get it). It is a fluid list.

Another list that is outside of dealer control - allocations directly from Mclaren to customers and customer decides which dealer they want it delivered too.

Deposits - stupid thing that dealers really do. They are refundable. If Mclaren requests a deposit (ultimate series cars to finance the build) then it is a deposit required by the dealer to Mclaren and they just pass it on to their customer.

One guy said 5% discount (dealers will laugh at you in the States if you ask for this), another guy reported that two different dealers told him he had to buy a GT at full MSRP to be considered to get 765 allocation. A few allocations floating behind the scene that are being sold from $25K to $40K. Newer customers (1 to 2 existing Mclaren purchases), seem to really be loading up on the options (the sort of thinking is that for them to get one with little history then they need to move up by making it more profitable for the dealer).

Chris - you already know everything I wrote except for probably the first paragraph.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see, that's good to know. So I could basically be paying a deposit to get in line only to be later told that I was not able to get an actual build slot. Looks like I will need to discuss more with the dealers to get more clarification from them. I'll need to do some heavy pondering here.

Lovely 720s btw, I don't think I've seen any Mclaren in Atlantic Blue. I've always loved Mclaren's different shades of blues and purples.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealers just got their second allocation to submit to Mclaren (in USA) First ones got submitted about 3 weeks ago. My dealer has 13 allocations.

Dealers won't say no to anyone to get on the list. There is an interest list (anyone), list approved by Mclaren USA (more then allocations available), dealer then allocates to that list but doesn't guarantee anything (whether person gets the allocation and/or when they get it). It is a fluid list.

Another list that is outside of dealer control - allocations directly from Mclaren to customers and customer decides which dealer they want it delivered too.

Deposits - stupid thing that dealers really do. They are refundable. If Mclaren requests a deposit (ultimate series cars to finance the build) then it is a deposit required by the dealer to Mclaren and they just pass it on to their customer.

One guy said 5% discount (dealers will laugh at you in the States if you ask for this), another guy reported that two different dealers told him he had to buy a GT at full MSRP to be considered to get 765 allocation. A few allocations floating behind the scene that are being sold from $25K to $40K. Newer customers (1 to 2 existing Mclaren purchases), seem to really be loading up on the options (the sort of thinking is that for them to get one with little history then they need to move up by making it more profitable for the dealer).

Chris - you already know everything I wrote except for probably the first paragraph.
Appreciate the breakdown. I'm obviously inexperienced with the ordering process of a new limited car such as this so that was very helpful to understanding the various steps dealers and manufactures go through when handing out allocations.

It sounds like this was hopeful optimism on my part as I assumed I could get a guaranteed spot. But I'll count myself lucky to get one at MSRP then and not expect any discount if I'm able to order new. I of course do not want to buy an existing Mclaren to get a 765 allocation (had that proposed as well) and do not want to load up on options so I might not be the ideal candidate.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Appreciate the breakdown. I'm obviously inexperienced with the ordering process of a new limited car such as this so that was very helpful to understanding the various steps dealers and manufactures go through when handing out allocations.

It sounds like this was hopeful optimism on my part as I assumed I could get a guaranteed spot. But I'll count myself lucky to get one at MSRP then and not expect any discount if I'm able to order new. I of course do not want to buy an existing Mclaren to get a 765 allocation (had that proposed as well) and do not want to load up on options so I might not be the ideal candidate.
I'd definitely call up dealers. It will help you greatly if you are not in the jurisdiction of any particular dealer. I think the number one rejection reason for Mclaren USA to approve a customer is that the customer falls in a different dealer jurisdiction (dealer jurisdictions are very small - from a discussion long time ago it is 40 miles from the dealer. Outside of that area then any Mac dealer can sell you a new car without any repercussions (this may have changed).

I live in a very hotbed Mclaren area (San Francisco). There are a handful of people who don't have significant buying history getting one. Some of the other regulars might be waiting for the spider version. Some customers got banned and not eligible (sold ultimate series car too early, or other types of reasons that are generally not known to those types of customers).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll definitely keep inquiring and I'll at least have a better understanding now when talking with dealers. The dealer jurisdiction could be a hindrance however, thanks for the heads up on that. Looks like I simply need to make some calls at this stage :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Doesn't hurt to try. I think if you didn't get a VIN at this point, it's only gonna be harder for you to get a 765LT. My dealership is getting 13~ as well and there's more than 13 looking for one. I'm sure buying history plays a lot into being chosen.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

yes most I know ... only thing I really think that’s different here is, that the dealer once the car is confirmed and in production owns the deposit... basically they use it if you later cannot pay the car to have more room for negotiations with the next customer whom they need to sell your already speced car to ... so after some time it’s no more refundable

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
yes most I know ... only thing I really think that’s different here is, that the dealer once the car is confirmed and in production owns the deposit... basically they use it if you later cannot pay the car to have more room for negotiations with the next customer whom they need to sell your already speced car to ... so after some time it’s no more refundable
Yeah, I think it is different by jurisdiction.

I had this discussion with my dealer about the deposits.

Mclaren - dealer - customer. The dealer has to pay mclaren and instead of using their money they get it from us. It is refundable to us if we decide not to go for the car. The dealer has to refund it to us in our jurisdiction. I asked my dealer that if a refund of the deposit was required (say on the senna which was $360K (from memory) then dealer has to come up with that cash but they have passed it on to Mclaren. This would cause a cash crunch for them and how was this handled between Mclaren and the dealer. He said they would return the deposit back to the customer out of their own funds but would not get it back from Mclaren. If they decided not to go ahead with the car then they would just offset that money with other things owed to the dealer or allocate it somewhere else (there is a lot of money due /owed between manufacture and dealers).

Read the financial statements and I think as of 12/2019, Mclaren has about $200 million pounds owed to it from various parties (trade receivables. I'm assuming that the majority of that number is amounts due from dealers for cars)). There is another number of amounts due to dealers (they call it something else but imply it is amounts due to dealers), and that number was $180 million pounds. (this would be for incentive payments, reaching sales goals, finance amounts for those big discounts to move inventory to customers). Interestingly enough; this number increased by $30 million pounds from 2018 to 2019 with a decrease of about 150 units sold to dealers. (this is amounts owed and not the actual expense because I think it is offset with the general revenue on the income statement).

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I'll definitely keep inquiring and I'll at least have a better understanding now when talking with dealers. The dealer jurisdiction could be a hindrance however, thanks for the heads up on that. Looks like I simply need to make some calls at this stage :)
if you want one I would just try till you get your definite answer... Due to the Covid related market uncertainty it is possible the best chance right now to get a very in demand car from McLaren that would otherwise be impossible to get for first time customers ...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I placed my beefy deposit awhile back. Fought long and hard if I wanted/needed the 765LT at all but I made up my mind and finally finished my spec today. I'm told its gonna get submitted to the production and expecting for the year-end delivery. A few notes in my purchasing process:

1. Mclaren is like iPhone, newer one always better.
2. Future of the Mclaren. Look at 600LT, 720S, 720S Spider, 570S, GT, etc. basically the whole production line up got stuck at dealers begging to sell right now. They can't ignore the brutality of the Mac depreciation anymore. I hope they got a wake-up call and finally called themselves a failure in marketing strategy during this Covid-19. I think they will come back stronger and smarter. Or, the market will force them to regardless. I believe in Mclaren as a brand.
3. 765LT competitions. I see no competition for the 765LT model for the next 3 years. F8 is not ready for the limited edition. Porsche still needs some time to work on their stuff, they will need a 992 GT2RS, Lambo will come up with something that only their own cars can do for the lap times. Automakers are going hybrid on supercars, a new era of supercars are coming.

To OP, if you are keeping a supercar for 5 years and if this will be your primary toy, the depreciation shouldn't be the #1 concern. I would be more concerned if this is something that you wanna live for 5 years tbh. Today's supercar world is not like used to. Ppl always want the newer and better toys. Back in the days, I would never see any Speciale on the road ever. Today, the Pista looks a bit old fashion already after 2 years in the market. That's what social media did to us. We always need something newer. So, in a 5 year term, I would want to make sure the 765LT would be the one keeps me entertained. Somehow, sleek looking, high performance, doors go up, etc. from the 765LT ticking all the boxes for a boys' dream car.

Good luck and enjoy your shopping. Tell us how everything goes.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I placed my beefy deposit awhile back. Fought long and hard if I wanted/needed the 765LT at all but I made up my mind and finally finished my spec today. I'm told its gonna get submitted to the production and expecting for the year-end delivery. A few notes in my purchasing process:

2. Future of the Mclaren. Look at 600LT, 720S, 720S Spider, 570S, GT, etc. basically the whole production line up got stuck at dealers begging to sell right now. They can't ignore the brutality of the Mac depreciation anymore. I hope they got a wake-up call and finally called themselves a failure in marketing strategy during this Covid-19. I think they will come back stronger and smarter. Or, the market will force them to regardless. I believe in Mclaren as a brand.
3. 765LT competitions. I see no competition for the 765LT model for the next 3 years. F8 is not ready for the limited edition. Porsche still needs some time to work on their stuff, they will need a 992 GT2RS, Lambo will come up with something that only their own cars can do for the lap times. Automakers are going hybrid on supercars, a new era of supercars are coming.

To OP, if you are keeping a supercar for 5 years and if this will be your primary toy, the depreciation shouldn't be the #1 concern. I would be more concerned if this is something that you wanna live for 5 years tbh. Today's supercar world is not like used to. Ppl always want the newer and better toys. Back in the days, I would never see any Speciale on the road ever. Today, the Pista looks a bit old fashion already after 2 years in the market. That's what social media did to us. We always need something newer. So, in a 5 year term, I would want to make sure the 765LT would be the one keeps me entertained. Somehow, sleek looking, high performance, doors go up, etc. from the 765LT ticking all the boxes for a boys' dream car.

But than again the next Super Series will 99.9% be a hybrid, hopefully still V8TTH and not V6TTH like the new Sports Series ... Many ppl don't want hybrids and I guess that will support the 765LTs collectability ... this car will near certain be one of the best non hybrid supercars ever made - most hypercars on the way are already hybrids besides the T50 which is 8x the price (AMG ONE, Valkyrie, the EV Lotus, Kegg etc. - all hybrid or EV)

·
Registered
29 Posts
But than again the next Super Series will 99.9% be a hybrid, hopefully still V8TTH and not V6TTH like the new Sports Series ... Many ppl don't want hybrids and I guess that will support the 765LTs collectability ... this car will near certain be one of the best non hybrid supercars ever made - most hypercars on the way are already hybrids besides the T50 which is 8x the price (AMG ONE, Valkyrie, the EV Lotus, Kegg etc. - all hybrid or EV)
The sweet spot for these cars is gonna be the first 1-2 years. I don't see how these cars gonna have collectability in the next 5-10 years. maybe next 20-30. ppl can't care about any car for that long tho. It may help the depreciation slowly but def not stopping it in the short term.

The newer generation will buy hybrid, they will also buy EV. I love current but still wanna be part of the future as well.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
The sweet spot for these cars is gonna be the first 1-2 years. I don't see how these cars gonna have collectability in the next 5-10 years. maybe next 20-30. ppl can't care about any car for that long tho. It may help the depreciation slowly but def not stopping it in the short term.

The newer generation will buy hybrid, they will also buy EV. I love current but still wanna be part of the future as well.
Not so sure about that:

Cars that are today significantly more expensive than when they were sold (between 4y and 35y old):

997GT2, 997GT2rs, Mercedes AMG SLS GT, SLS FE, SLS BS, F458SA, F40,F50, Enzo, CGT, 993GT2, F12TDF, F599GTO, SLR 722, SLR SM, SLR 722R ... all of these are no more the latest or best speed wise but still to many far more desirable than their current counterparts in the respective manufacturers lineups

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I agree, since the introduction of the 12C every model seems to be significantly better, and of course the rate at which they've been pumping out new models hasn't helped. On the one hand I enjoy seeing new innovation and design and evolution, but as a potential buyer I'd like to see them stick with one platform for more than 3-4 years at a time. As you said, social media certainly hasn't helped either, with seemingly so many wanting the latest and greatest. I am refusing to let myself go down that path as it's an endless loop trying to satisfy that desire.

I would be looking at getting the 765LT as a compliment to the AMG GTR that I have, so those would be my two primary toys. The GTR as you may already know, is relatively comfortable and easy to drive, whereas the 765LT I would want to be a more raw and overall thrilling experience, which as you alluded to checks all those boxes with it's modern tech and incredibly high performance, modern design and yes those amazing doors. If I can't be happy with that for at least the next 5 years then I have another problem :)

As far as the hybrid debate, if done right I don't see why this current generation won't throw there money at those cars if the design is on point and the performance is there. I wasn't a fan of the idea of electric cars say 5 years ago but as times change I'm beginning to as well. I hope the 720S and 765LT do well in the near and long term, but if I actually want to drive the car and put miles on it then that may be a moot point!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts

your pt. # 1 is why i chose to keep my 720s, skip the LT allocation and get the replacement 720s which will be baddass. i have a sense the 765LT is going to get wacked with the 720s replacement out in 3 years... hybrid? yes but it will be a tech marvel and alot of Mac owners are tech geeks... it wont have all the shortcomings of the SF90. I cant wait! sorry to divert but thats why i declined the allocation and your first point got me to respond .

I fear that the 765 will follow same trend as 600lt and 675. its my 5th mclaren and i have alot of other toys but not sure the upgrade from 720 to 765 is really worth it. the issue is the 720 is too good. IMHO.

Reactions: ChrisK1982
1 - 20 of 74 Posts