McLaren Life banner

161 - 180 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Have you seen Memphis red?

I’m not generally into red cars but my eyes kept drifing back to a 720 at McCharlotte. Striking.
Memphis red is very nice but I need a change. I've had too many red Ferraris Lol. Btw, Charlotte has a ton of inventory and a buddy of mine just picked up a 720s spider from them at a great price. I’ve never dealt with them.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Yes, call around and you can get an allocation. A lot of dealers had allocations unfilled and other dealers had cancellations and allocation reopen back up. Scottsdale may have been blowing you off but I bet if you walk in with a check for a 20k deposit an allocation may magically appear.
Come on man. How many dealers do you know of and how long their lists are?

From discussing with my dealers, other dealers, sales people and other people in the know;

The lists of people are long. More than what dealer allocations are. However, Mclaren has cracked down on "fake customers" and dealers that are selling to customers in another dealer jurisdiction (with some exceptions). It's probably the number one reason for Mclaren to reject a customer that is presented for an allocation by a dealer.

The biggest offender is Mclaren Charlotte. They flooded other dealer jurisdictions by selling severely discounted cars and ruining the Mac market in USA. Over 70% of their sales were outside of their market. This would be a reason why Cadster could get one because they probably had a good amount of their potential customers rejected by Mclaren. Other smaller markets couldn't or wouldn't sell outside of their market. They would have had allocations taken away from them (your local dealer may have had this issue). The allocations were then re-allocated to other dealers who had much longer lists (my dealer received a couple more then what they initially had received).

People did back out but the lists were long and they were just replaced by other people in line. There's a lot of economic uncertainty in the new car market space (used car sales are booming). A lot of the people who backed out of the coupes wanted to defer buying the car. They have now placed themselves in the spider line. This line seems to be very, very long.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Come on man. How many dealers do you know of and how long their lists are?

From discussing with my dealers, other dealers, sales people and other people in the know;

The lists of people are long. More than what dealer allocations are. However, Mclaren has cracked down on "fake customers" and dealers that are selling to customers in another dealer jurisdiction (with some exceptions). It's probably the number one reason for Mclaren to reject a customer that is presented for an allocation by a dealer.

The biggest offender is Mclaren Charlotte. They flooded other dealer jurisdictions by selling severely discounted cars and ruining the Mac market in USA. Over 70% of their sales were outside of their market. This would be a reason why Cadster could get one because they probably had a good amount of their potential customers rejected by Mclaren. Other smaller markets couldn't or wouldn't sell outside of their market. They would have had allocations taken away from them (your local dealer may have had this issue). The allocations were then re-allocated to other dealers who had much longer lists (my dealer received a couple more then what they initially had received).

People did back out but the lists were long and they were just replaced by other people in line. There's a lot of economic uncertainty in the new car market space (used car sales are booming). A lot of the people who backed out of the coupes wanted to defer buying the car. They have now placed themselves in the spider line. This line seems to be very, very long.
I know of 2 dealers that have allocations available. There are other people that have also posted that their dealers have allocations available. I hate to burst your bubble but there are no long lines, but if that makes you feel better than so be it. The bottom line is if you want a 765lt you can call around and get one. I personally know that back when the car was first announced there was a waiting listed (I was on that list). That has completely changed and they are available (I moved up from the wait List to being able to be in the first group to get delivered. I opted for a January build). I wish there was a long list and the car was hard to get as it would make mine more special when it arrives and maybe it Would hold its value. However I accept reality and know it will depreciate just like every other car, but that’s not the point in buying it. I buy them to enjoy and don’t care about losing money.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I imagine a lot of people would have had to cancel. Here in the UK as well. It is very sad for everyone concerned. It is strange though because my dealer here in the UK told me that their allocation has been cut by about 40% with the cars going to the USA. I wonder why Mclaren would do that, if there were lots of cars not sold in the US. He seemed pretty miffed as he said he had customers for those cars. As ever it is hard to find out what is really going on.
So maybe that is why I was able to secure an allocation. Perhaps the US production quantity was boosted. If true, that will not make the value proposition better, but I have no illusions regarding the likely depreciation factor.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was told by dealer Mclearn had to approve you to buy a 765 Lt and could not sell it for 6 months. :sneaky:

If any dealers want to "approve" me I would like to build one.

Jeff

·
Registered
207 Posts
Have you seen Memphis red?

I’m not generally into red cars but my eyes kept drifing back to a 720 at McCharlotte. Striking.
I much prefer Memphis Red over Vermillion Red. I've said this before in previous post but the special/elite colour range for the LTs is not great. I prefer a deeper orange which is not in the 765LT configurator (even Helios is quite pale) so I'm stuck with paying MSO price for either Azores or VO. VO is the clear winner here but it grates that both of these were an elite colour on the 720S/570S.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I was told by dealer Mclearn had to approve you to buy a 765 Lt and could not sell it for 6 months. :sneaky:

If any dealers want to "approve" me I would like to build one.

Jeff
Yes, I think the mother-ship needs to approve the purchase of LE cars but I don't think that's a high bar at the moment! They are trying to put off flippers (do they still exist?) but if you have a good McLaren history it seems weird and just on principle I would resist that. I have not seen that restriction mentioned by any-one else. Presumably it would not prevent you selling it back to them within that time? But on the other hand, why would you want to sell it within 6 months? I can't see anything better than the 765 in that price range on the horizon within a year other than the spider.

Try another dealer if you can.

Reactions: Capsfan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anybody actually know of somebody who got a 765 confirmed order who wasn't already on a list for one? As opposed to moving up the list?

Either way, surely it really is different this time? We already know this is the last dance at the disco for the pure internal combustion engine. Not just at Mclaren but everywhere. If Mclaren get the 765 right, then it will stand as a permanent high point. Nothing in the near future will have a dry weight of 1229kg again. The SF90 is the future - heavy, expensive and complicated and can't do more than a couple of laps before needing a recharge.

Often you don't know what you have got til it's gone.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Memphis red is very nice but I need a change. I've had too many red Ferraris Lol. Btw, Charlotte has a ton of inventory and a buddy of mine just picked up a 720s spider from them at a great price. I’ve never dealt with them.
They are great. Ryan is awesome.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
They are great. Ryan is awesome.
LOL. they single handily killed 720 prices by flooding the market with their excessive inventory and selling at irrationally low levels. yah, they are great

they have an awful reputation by industry players including many east coast dealers. they killed the market. maybe they are good for new customers but they screwed existing customers. kind of idiots IMHO.

Reactions: my2000si

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
LOL. they single handily killed 720 prices by flooding the market with their excessive inventory and selling at irrationally low levels. yah, they are great

they have an awful reputation by industry players including many east coast dealers. they killed the market. maybe they are good for new customers but they screwed existing customers. kind of idiots IMHO.
I wouldn't put the blame on them for killing 720 prices, that would be McLaren for sending too many cars to dealers. At some point the dealers need to move inventory, the carrying costs are not cheap.

The east coast dealers, i.e. Sterling is at the bottom of the list as is Palm Beach. The other dealers seem to be doing fine.

I bought my 720 Spider from Charolette, I got a fair price and incredible service on top of it. They did everything they committed to unlike Sterling who I purchased 5 cars from in about 18 months. So to me, they are an excellent dealer.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I wouldn't put the blame on them for killing 720 prices, that would be McLaren for sending too many cars to dealers. At some point the dealers need to move inventory, the carrying costs are not cheap.

The east coast dealers, i.e. Sterling is at the bottom of the list as is Palm Beach. The other dealers seem to be doing fine.

I bought my 720 Spider from Charolette, I got a fair price and incredible service on top of it. They did everything they committed to unlike Sterling who I purchased 5 cars from in about 18 months. So to me, they are an excellent dealer.
mclaren didn’t send them too many cars... they ordered too many cars and over estimated their market... its a supply demand issue... and they overestimated the demand side and flooded market. its kind of a known issue.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
mclaren didn’t send them too many cars... they ordered too many cars and over estimated their market... its a supply demand issue... and they overestimated the demand side and flooded market. its kind of a known issue.

I can tell you for certain that McLaren pushed cars on dealers. They were making cars that didnt belong to anyone and they needed dealers to take them. I know in some cases a dealer would spec cars but I think that is because they were required to hit certain numbers. Each dealer took on extra cars, some were able to move them some could not. In my experience, my local dealer was garbage. The buying and after sales experience with Charolette was outstanding. Many factors contributed to the depreciation curve of the 720 which hasn't been unlike other cars. No more 720s being built this year so prices should be stable now.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Agree. When I bought my 720 I was given the opportunity to choose from about 5 or 6 incoming cars. They were already locked. I cannot imagine the dealer wanted/specced all those cars with no alloted owners.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Agree. When I bought my 720 I was given the opportunity to choose from about 5 or 6 incoming cars. They were already locked. I cannot imagine the dealer wanted/specced all those cars with no alloted owners.
owners do back out of orders with refundable deposits

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I can tell you for certain that McLaren pushed cars on dealers. They were making cars that didnt belong to anyone and they needed dealers to take them. I know in some cases a dealer would spec cars but I think that is because they were required to hit certain numbers. Each dealer took on extra cars, some were able to move them some could not. In my experience, my local dealer was garbage. The buying and after sales experience with Charolette was outstanding. Many factors contributed to the depreciation curve of the 720 which hasn't been unlike other cars. No more 720s being built this year so prices should be stable now.
hope you are right. Miller Motors and Bergen County by me did not have the same inventory issues - at one point they had a shortage of 720s and asked me if i knew anyone that was looking to sell (Bergen County) as they had inquiries for preowned. I can tell you they were not forced to take cars from factory... in fact, most cars that did sit on their lots at various points in time were from owners that backed out of their orders.

You could be right but think you are over simplifying the issue. IMHO.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Mclaren USA took on too many cars. They volunteered to buy re-allocated cars from non USA jurisdictions. They then pushed dealers to take on extra inventory.

Many of the dealers did but up to a certain limit and then pushed back on Mclaren. Charlotte, took on a lot of cars (a lot more then their market can support - they sold 30 cars in their market last year and pumped out 70 into other dealers markets). They definitely screwed the market (a known issue among all dealers and customers). Instead of nurturing their own home market (to get the valuable recurring warranty/service/trade-ins), they screwed other dealers and all customers of Mclaren cars. They have the same ownership as Mclaren boston and should know better (ie; they are not new to this).

161 - 180 of 192 Posts