McLaren Life banner

121 - 140 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
100% agree. I owned a 720s coupe and 720s Spider. I was shocked at how much the depreciate and how quickly. But more importantly, at least for me, is the build quality. My Ferraris have been way more reliable. And I am not some Ferrari troll on the McLaren forums - I have a P1 and a Senna and have my fingers crossed they will be more reliable than my others have been. I had a 765LT allocation but backed out. At the time I had the two 720s and just felt like it was too similar. Plus I didn't feel like I needed another track-focused car. Now I am glad I backed out as the reliability/devaluation scares the heck out of me. Don't watch the video podcast of the guy Behind the Glass on Mclaren if you are soft like me :). TBH I really don't think the Pista is all that special compared to others, but in the right paint color it is stunning. And for now at least, the S duct is also attention grabbing. But long term, I don't see the Pista keeping up with Speciale values. I just sold my Speciale coupe as part of a 918 purchase and I got just about MSRP for the Speciale. No way any of these newer "limited" track cars will do that five years down the road.
The sign of an apocalypse is when people watch youtube videos as any type of indication of cars or decision making.

An entire industry has cropped up to discuss road cars on social media. It's almost an extension of arguing/discussing Formula 1 but they bring it down to road cars, freaking road cars. What could one actually discuss on social media/youtube about road cars. The soup du jour is currently reliability . Could you imagine if people just interviewed mechanics and asked them to discuss recalls, cost of items, service bulletins, how long it takes to get parts, etc., It would be endless across all marques and one would never ever buy a car.

These videos is now just youtube people trying to remain relevant and talk about something/anything because there isn't much to really talk about road cars.

it doesn't escape me that the person being interviewed is a third party re-seller who has other cars for sale that he needs to indirectly pump up. (this is basically social media and comments in a nutshell. (trying to remain relevant and come up with topics and hidden agendas by people who are directly/indirectly in the business to create a narrative or keep a narrative going which helps them on their financial side of things).

Regarding re-sale value and speciale. Mine is $372K MSRP. Straight out buy from a wholesaler was $295K and that was two years ago. I'll get more in a trade if I overpay for the car that I'm buying (One of the reasons that dealers/re-sellers, etc., can sell cars at higher prices if a person is trying to trade in a car). I'll get much more for my speciale if I want to trade it in for another perhaps over-priced car. Its just moving money from one bucket to another.

Reactions: Capsfan

·
Registered
84 Posts
Most disagree that the roof scoop is in demand as it provides no functionality and way over priced.
I dont agree with you. During my order of the 765lt with Roof scoop, i got the explenation of MSO thaz the scoop is able to reduce engine temp on track by 10degres by just blowing cold fresh air on top of the engine. Considering that my 675lt suffers under heat problems after heavy tracking, i see the roof scoop of the 765lt way more functional than the one on the 675lt. The 675lt has more then enough intake air without the roof scoop, so there is no need for the scoop on the 675lt, as it is not helping cooling. On the 765lt if you considering tracking your car a lot, there is defintily a good reason for the roof scoop

·
Registered
81 Posts
I’ve ordered a roof scoop also. I was told the same thing about cooling the engine.
If I was a buyer on used market, roof scoop would be a big plus and senna seats. The less people order it more rare it will be.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I agree, in general the roof scoop would be a plus when it comes to sell although there is a not-insignificant group who see it as a negative and prefer a car without it. Regardless of that it is very expensive and in the current market where all cars depreciate I doubt you would get back anywhere near it's initial cost at sale time. Based on that I would only get it if I needed the extra cooling or really liked the look. I don't think getting it just to boost resale value makes economic sense. (BTW here it costs A$100K, $80+K for the scoop and 18K for the engine window which must also be added😦

·
Registered
303 Posts
I normally love roof scoops. I have it on my 600LT and think it looks great, but the implementation doesn’t look good to me on the 765LT. If it’s actually functional and provides engine cooling then I can see getting it for that, but for looks it just doesn’t do it for me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am in line for the 765LT Spyder. Any thoughts or comments on Spyder vs Coupe and peoples general preferences. I wont track the car as I already have a track car (570s GT4)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am in line for the 765LT Spyder. Any thoughts or comments on Spyder vs Coupe and peoples general preferences. I wont track the car as I already have a track car (570s GT4)
it depends what else you got going on. Generally I find hard too spider is about 2-3 times more fun than the coupe. Lol.
I was gonna get the spider but ultimately I went with coupe cuz I want that roofscoop. Plus I already have pista spider to cover the open top.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
I'm not so sure how representative the forums are for people who are getting 765 LT's. Mine is low spec. However, people who have shared their spec's with me outside of these forums are very high... $700K, $650K, many, many in the $500K range. Generally, I'm seeing in the $420K-$450K range but a lot of people are going for the high spec. one's too. People are very excited about this car.
Mine is at $418K and I have it spec'd pretty well. Much less than my Pista listed for. :)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
I dont agree with you. During my order of the 765lt with Roof scoop, i got the explenation of MSO thaz the scoop is able to reduce engine temp on track by 10degres by just blowing cold fresh air on top of the engine. Considering that my 675lt suffers under heat problems after heavy tracking, i see the roof scoop of the 765lt way more functional than the one on the 675lt. The 675lt has more then enough intake air without the roof scoop, so there is no need for the scoop on the 675lt, as it is not helping cooling. On the 765lt if you considering tracking your car a lot, there is defintily a good reason for the roof scoop
Considering how few including myself will track it the roof scoop offers every little to no value. However if it works for your purposes then go for it. I can tell you that I know about 5 people placing orders and none have it spec'd. Same for the glass window in the rear.

·
Registered
138 Posts
it depends what else you got going on. Generally I find hard too spider is about 2-3 times more fun than the coupe. Lol.
I was gonna get the spider but ultimately I went with coupe cuz I want that roofscoop. Plus I already have pista spider to cover the open top.
Makes sense - I think I will stick with the Spyder for now as open top driving does it for me.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Considering how few including myself will track it the roof scoop offers every little to no value. However if it works for your purposes then go for it. I can tell you that I know about 5 people placing orders and none have it spec'd. Same for the glass window in the rear.
Interesting re: engine window. My dealer indicated to me that it was a popular option.

·
720s
34 Posts
I thought long and hard about getting the track/senna brake system on the 765. Every Senna owner can't stop talking about how good the brakes are on track (and I mean everyone). The pads are double the cost of the 720s and the rotors are also double the cost.

A lot of the decision depends on where you track, how often you track and with who you track with. People who don't track, think that we are doing lap tests like the journalists do (ideal track conditions with no one else on track with you). The reality of the situation is much different.

Fixed costs of tracking (not dependent on how many laps one does):

Third party transport (if any)
Coaching (if any)
Single day track insurance (if any)
Track fees
Hotel fees (if staying over night)
Track inspection

Variable costs (dependent on laps)
Fuel
Brake pad /rotor wear
Tires

If you track often and you have the fixed costs then you want to do as many laps as possible and under ideal conditions. Usually, ideal conditions are private track days (where everyone is fast and known to you) or a private run group within an HPDE (where everyone is fast and known to you) These types of days are far and few in between (In the last 3 years, I have only had 3 track days like this).

The rest of the time it is the regular HPDE. In a regular HPDE, you will go out like a bat out of a cave on the out lap and then hit traffic after about 3 laps and then start navigating through that traffic. You will probably start getting tired after 3 sessions and might not even make it through the end of the day (my experience is that 3 x 20 minute sessions is about right). In this type of scenario; you want to keep the fixed costs low (or eliminate them) and then be efficient with the variable costs.

All of that being said; the typical type track day is the above paragraph. Keep the fixed costs to a minimum and be efficient with laps to only spend $$$ on good/clean laps. Paying higher for the senna brake system (fixed cost), doesn't make a whole lot of sense with how track days go. I plan on changing out to steel/iron or Surface transforms right away. The problem will be that I'm one of the earlier 765 deliveries and there won't be an aftermarket brake system available right out of the gate.

Are the standard brakes different on the 765 from the 720? Why wouldn't current aftermarket systems fit on the 765?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes, 765 has Senna calipers with 720 rotors and different pads for the "hybrid" set-up. Unless they change the suspension uprights from 720 to 765 or the caliper mounts I would imagine a full aftermarket systems like AP Racing would fit but can't confirm this.

Reactions: Hannibal

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Interesting re: engine window. My dealer indicated to me that it was a popular option.
I just dont see the point. $8K USD for a small glass window to see the engine? it just seems stupid, quite frankly it should be stock in this car.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I just dont see the point. $8K USD for a small glass window to see the engine? it just seems stupid, quite frankly it should be stock in this car.
I’m one of those stupid people. Mind you, I paid $3,500 to have the 12 o’clock steering wheel marker in my Senna so at least I’m consistently stupid.

The weird looking roof scoop with limited functionality for $30k is more of a head scratcher to me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got my allocation and now need to decide if I get rid of my Pista and go back to Mclaren. Loved my 720s when i had it and I also love the Pista. With 1530 (coupe and spiders) being produced I am not sure how bad the depreciation will be combined with the current market for luxury goods. I always expect every car purchase to depreciate it’s just a matter of how much.
Pista is amazing:)

·
Registered
597 Posts
This ended up being the most controversial option for me. I ended up going for it mainly because I think having the glass there will funnel more engine noise into the cabin. I'm told you can see into the engine when you stand in front of the car and look through the windshield. With that, I ended up getting all the interior carbon fiber options.

·
Registered
45 Posts
As I stated in my post I always expect every car purchase to depreciate. I have had 3 Mclarens and this is my 4 Ferrari. Every single one of them has depreciated. (Some of them have lost a LOT more than others). I think a person is foolish if they buy a car and don’t expect it to depreciate. The issue is how much will you potentially lose. My belief is in the current market the depreciation curve is going to be steep for no matter what brand car you buy. My personal decision is do I jump in on the latest and greatest or keep what I have for a while (history is on the side of me getting the latest and greatest).
I agree in todays craziness and uncertainty, im not sure I’d want too be the first one on board of a new luxary vehicle release. albiet some of us have FU money excuse my french, if thats the case who cares, but most of us have too be reasonible. Like you said, we are gonna loose on every single one of these, just how much? agreed!

121 - 140 of 148 Posts