McLaren Life banner

101 - 120 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
You must have sensors/back-up camera to get the 360. I have the 360 on my 720 and it is much better than the back up camera for judging rearward distances. Its a must have option for me.

Likewise with external CF I'm not usually big on this but for me this will be a long term keeper and my first LT so I'm going for CF2 but not 3 but I will get the headlight surrounds in CF. I have that on my 720 and quite like it. I'm giving the roof/aerobridge/diffuser/wing a miss.

I'm torn about the glazed engine window. I don't think you will be able to see through it very well from outside the car particularly if you get the privacy window which I intend to get. Plus the engine window is quite expensive. Having said that, the engine does not appear to be as easily visible from outside like on the 720. What do others think about this?
Yeah good idea, maybe just get the headlight surrounds in CF, keep roof all gloss black, and add the splitter and side skirts in CF.

If the glazed engine window were in the $2-$3k price point I'd be tempted, but I figure there's already plenty to look at on the LT. I'd rather put that money towards the Senna seats.

As far as power adjustable steering column, yay or nay? Any reason not to take this option?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wouldn’t get it. Why add weight and cost. How many times do you actually adjust the wheel? Set it and forget it. YMMV.
I remember this option was free? I think i chose it cuz its free. if it's a costing option on 765, would not make any sense to get. like you said, probably one adjustment till next owner since i wouldn't let valet drive mine.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I remember this option was free? I think i chose it cuz its free. if it's a costing option on 765, would not make any sense to get. like you said, probably one adjustment till next owner since i wouldn't let valet drive mine.
I’m assuming there is an expense associated. Even if it was free, I wouldn’t get it. Seem so unnecessary on a track focused car.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
For someone who only occasionally tracks it I think they would be good but if you're heavily into tracking, iron brakes preferable unless you have very deep pockets.
I thought long and hard about getting the track/senna brake system on the 765. Every Senna owner can't stop talking about how good the brakes are on track (and I mean everyone). The pads are double the cost of the 720s and the rotors are also double the cost.

A lot of the decision depends on where you track, how often you track and with who you track with. People who don't track, think that we are doing lap tests like the journalists do (ideal track conditions with no one else on track with you). The reality of the situation is much different.

Fixed costs of tracking (not dependent on how many laps one does):

Third party transport (if any)
Coaching (if any)
Single day track insurance (if any)
Track fees
Hotel fees (if staying over night)
Track inspection

Variable costs (dependent on laps)
Fuel
Brake pad /rotor wear
Tires

If you track often and you have the fixed costs then you want to do as many laps as possible and under ideal conditions. Usually, ideal conditions are private track days (where everyone is fast and known to you) or a private run group within an HPDE (where everyone is fast and known to you) These types of days are far and few in between (In the last 3 years, I have only had 3 track days like this).

The rest of the time it is the regular HPDE. In a regular HPDE, you will go out like a bat out of a cave on the out lap and then hit traffic after about 3 laps and then start navigating through that traffic. You will probably start getting tired after 3 sessions and might not even make it through the end of the day (my experience is that 3 x 20 minute sessions is about right). In this type of scenario; you want to keep the fixed costs low (or eliminate them) and then be efficient with the variable costs.

All of that being said; the typical type track day is the above paragraph. Keep the fixed costs to a minimum and be efficient with laps to only spend $$$ on good/clean laps. Paying higher for the senna brake system (fixed cost), doesn't make a whole lot of sense with how track days go. I plan on changing out to steel/iron or Surface transforms right away. The problem will be that I'm one of the earlier 765 deliveries and there won't be an aftermarket brake system available right out of the gate.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I wonder how much of the superiority of the Senna brakes on the Senna are due to the brakes themselves rather than the additional aero (airbrake and downforce) which the 765 won't have to the same extent? I am ignoring the better thermal capacity which is hopefully equivalent.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wouldn’t get it. Why add weight and cost. How many times do you actually adjust the wheel? Set it and forget it. YMMV.
I had similar thoughts...might seem counter intuitive to add power adjustable steering to a track car but figured if I'm going to add the 360 camera, a/c and radio anyway what's one more creature comfort. But with that said, I'll probably leave this option out to keep it as hardcore as practical.

I can't justify the Senna brake upgrade. I've never driven a Senna and have no frame of reference but I can't imagine myself outlasting the standard ceramic discs with Senna calipers.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I had similar thoughts...might seem counter intuitive to add power adjustable steering to a track car but figured if I'm going to add the 360 camera, a/c and radio anyway what's one more creature comfort. But with that said, I'll probably leave this option out to keep it as hardcore as practical.

I can't justify the Senna brake upgrade. I've never driven a Senna and have no frame of reference but I can't imagine myself outlasting the standard ceramic discs with Senna calipers.
If it was a true comfort I understand getting the electric adjust steering wheel but this is one of those things you need if you and your wife are sharing the car and there is a decent enough height difference. Ain’t nobody gonna drive my car but me. Power steering wheel, power seats- forget it. Waste of money.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Of those with orders in, what ETAs are you being given and how long ago or when did you confirm the order?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was told most will be coming in Jan or Feb.

Also, I was reading through your posts, don’t see any roof scoops orders. In my opinion if you decide to sell the car down the road that will be high in demand as well as senna seats.

Senna brakes, I don’t think many people would get that.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
I was told most will be coming in Jan or Feb.

Also, I was reading through your posts, don’t see any roof scoops orders. In my opinion if you decide to sell the car down the road that will be high in demand as well as senna seats.

Senna brakes, I don’t think many people would get that.
Most disagree that the roof scoop is in demand as it provides no functionality and way over priced.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just put in my order, told late March 🙁

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Most disagree that the roof scoop is in demand as it provides no functionality and way over priced.
I'm not so sure how representative the forums are for people who are getting 765 LT's. Mine is low spec. However, people who have shared their spec's with me outside of these forums are very high... $700K, $650K, many, many in the $500K range. Generally, I'm seeing in the $420K-$450K range but a lot of people are going for the high spec. one's too. People are very excited about this car.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Of those with orders in, what ETAs are you being given and how long ago or when did you confirm the order?
The orders being submitted right now are for December deliveries (It is generally the third allocation for the dealer). These ones will be delivered sometime in December 2020.

Dealers generally know which order they are going to submit each customer. They ask their customers (all of them who are on the approved list) to spec. the cars (regardless of where they are on that list). If a person drops out when it comes to submit the spec., then they have the next person in line to submit. You could be moved up, down or off the list during this waiting to submit spec. time.

I received my VIN in the middle of April 2020. Submitted my spec. to dealer at the end of April. It was entered/submitted in Mac portal middle of May for ready to ship September 2020. I was part of the first round of the regular customer deliveries (the shareholders/vip's were having their cars built back in March 2020 and are the true first builds/deliveries)

Reactions: ksp

·
Registered
25 Posts
Definitely keep the Pista. It will get some depreciation but the market demand for that car is exponentially bigger than McLaren at this time.
I do think the 765LT will be a better car and outperform the Pista but if you are weighing up which will loose the most stick with Ferrari.
Especially as you already own it and I assume you bought it at list?
100% agree. I owned a 720s coupe and 720s Spider. I was shocked at how much the depreciate and how quickly. But more importantly, at least for me, is the build quality. My Ferraris have been way more reliable. And I am not some Ferrari troll on the McLaren forums - I have a P1 and a Senna and have my fingers crossed they will be more reliable than my others have been. I had a 765LT allocation but backed out. At the time I had the two 720s and just felt like it was too similar. Plus I didn't feel like I needed another track-focused car. Now I am glad I backed out as the reliability/devaluation scares the heck out of me. Don't watch the video podcast of the guy Behind the Glass on Mclaren if you are soft like me :). TBH I really don't think the Pista is all that special compared to others, but in the right paint color it is stunning. And for now at least, the S duct is also attention grabbing. But long term, I don't see the Pista keeping up with Speciale values. I just sold my Speciale coupe as part of a 918 purchase and I got just about MSRP for the Speciale. No way any of these newer "limited" track cars will do that five years down the road.

101 - 120 of 148 Posts