McLaren Life banner

181 - 192 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Mclaren USA took on too many cars. They volunteered to buy re-allocated cars from non USA jurisdictions. They then pushed dealers to take on extra inventory.

Many of the dealers did but up to a certain limit and then pushed back on Mclaren. Charlotte, took on a lot of cars (a lot more then their market can support - they sold 30 cars in their market last year and pumped out 70 into other dealers markets). They definitely screwed the market (a known issue among all dealers and customers). Instead of nurturing their own home market (to get the valuable recurring warranty/service/trade-ins), they screwed other dealers and all customers of Mclaren cars. They have the same ownership as Mclaren boston and should know better (ie; they are not new to this).
They got my service as well. They would send a truck to pick up my car and deliver when service was complete. I'm not that far from them but I did have a dealer within 10 miles of one of my homes. With this said my local dealer would not provide the same level of service and customer sat so it was a no brainer.

McPhilly and many other dealers sold outside of their regions as well. Some did it better than others. My preference is to use a local dealer but if they stink then I will freelance. Charolette or any other dealer cant predict who the next buyer will be so If someone contacts them who is unsatisfied with their local dealer and they make it happen then why are they the bad guys?

Also, it is not always about the lowest price. In my case there was more to it but Charolette found away to help when my local dealer wouldn't. Now I am a loyal customer of theirs.

·
Owner
79 Posts
Come on man. How many dealers do you know of and how long their lists are?

From discussing with my dealers, other dealers, sales people and other people in the know;

The lists of people are long. More than what dealer allocations are. However, Mclaren has cracked down on "fake customers" and dealers that are selling to customers in another dealer jurisdiction (with some exceptions). It's probably the number one reason for Mclaren to reject a customer that is presented for an allocation by a dealer.

The biggest offender is Mclaren Charlotte. They flooded other dealer jurisdictions by selling severely discounted cars and ruining the Mac market in USA. Over 70% of their sales were outside of their market. This would be a reason why Cadster could get one because they probably had a good amount of their potential customers rejected by Mclaren. Other smaller markets couldn't or wouldn't sell outside of their market. They would have had allocations taken away from them (your local dealer may have had this issue). The allocations were then re-allocated to other dealers who had much longer lists (my dealer received a couple more then what they initially had received).

People did back out but the lists were long and they were just replaced by other people in line. There's a lot of economic uncertainty in the new car market space (used car sales are booming). A lot of the people who backed out of the coupes wanted to defer buying the car. They have now placed themselves in the spider line. This line seems to be very, very long.
Back in mid 2015....all the gossip was the same for the 675LT....if you weren't "on the list already"...you had a slim to no chance of getting one. I walked into a dealer in SoCal December 2015 and bought one on the floor at MSRP because of a "last minute cancellation" of the person with the deposit.
So much for the long list....Still have the car....best purchase ever made!!!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Back in mid 2015....all the gossip was the same for the 675LT....if you weren't "on the list already"...you had a slim to no chance of getting one. I walked into a dealer in SoCal December 2015 and bought one on the floor at MSRP because of a "last minute cancellation" of the person with the deposit.
I am sure there are some speculators that are waiting to see what the market looks like before they take delivery. I would also bet the state of the economy may effect deliveries.

·
2012 MP4-12C
622 Posts
There will always be folks who place a deposit (usually only ~5% of MSRP) and then decide not to take delivery 5-6 months later. Provided it isn't a poorly spec'ed car which is hard to sell (i.e. lime green interior with pink exterior), dealers will typically refund the deposit upon delivery of the car and sell to a new owner. In rare cases, they will hold the deposit until they sell the car.

Nevertheless, with less than 300 of these 765LT's destined to the US, there are not likely to be many available on the floor. I guess what I am saying is that you were very lucky to find a brand new 675LT at a dealer, especially since those cars were even more rare than the 765LT's will be. On the flip side, people now know what an LT is capable of (unlike when the 675LT's were released) so there may be even fewer folks willing to give up their delivery. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
They got my service as well. They would send a truck to pick up my car and deliver when service was complete. I'm not that far from them but I did have a dealer within 10 miles of one of my homes. With this said my local dealer would not provide the same level of service and customer sat so it was a no brainer.

McPhilly and many other dealers sold outside of their regions as well. Some did it better than others. My preference is to use a local dealer but if they stink then I will freelance. Charolette or any other dealer cant predict who the next buyer will be so If someone contacts them who is unsatisfied with their local dealer and they make it happen then why are they the bad guys?

Also, it is not always about the lowest price. In my case there was more to it but Charolette found away to help when my local dealer wouldn't. Now I am a loyal customer of theirs.
There isn't many people posting on these forums. Therefore, it is easy to remember postings.

I'll credit you with the onslaught of people going to Charlotte. They probably have never sold a car at MSRP. If they sold their first 720s spider at a discount (which you had mentioned in the past); then that does not feed into them taking on too many cars. Other dealers were very responsible. If they just wanted to take every car, juice up their numbers and then sell them all at wholesale then why would they car as they would just be a pass through and flood the entire system. EVERY dealer could have done that.

The only people contacting Charlotte is price or lack of it. No other reason whatsoever.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #187 (Edited)
There isn't many people posting on these forums. Therefore, it is easy to remember postings.

I'll credit you with the onslaught of people going to Charlotte. They probably have never sold a car at MSRP. If they sold their first 720s spider at a discount (which you had mentioned in the past); then that does not feed into them taking on too many cars. Other dealers were very responsible. If they just wanted to take every car, juice up their numbers and then sell them all at wholesale then why would they car as they would just be a pass through and flood the entire system. EVERY dealer could have done that.

The only people contacting Charlotte is price or lack of it. No other reason whatsoever.

Are you saying I am responsible for people buying cars from Charolette? If so, that makes as much sense as the rest of your posts on this subject. Absurd.

In fact, I never mentioned what I bought my car for and I doubt my car was the first spider they sold so not sure where you are getting your info. All of my posts regarding Charolette were specifically regarding their service and them stepping up to the plate when my local dealer would not.

I can also tell you when I took my issue to McLaren NA and spoke to a rep and told them I was working with Charolette to resolve they were very much in favor. Apparently they have a very good reputation for doing the right thing and this is likely why they are doing well.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Could availability also have played a role in their sales results? I seem to recall them having a crap ton of new cars for sale. They also had a disproportionate of sub-1000 mile cars. Also, when you open up a new dealership, the manufacturer typically awards you a healthy allocation to jump start your success. From there, like other similar retail channels, it’s all about turn and earn. Plenty of dealerships work within the model of “stack them deep, sell them cheap”. Just because that model is highly uncommon in the high line arena, doesn’t mean that model couldn’t necessarily be made to work. That’s business, disruptors disrupt, it’s what they do.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
A fable about headquarters and dealerships .....

Big M built more cars than the market could bear at MSRP.

Faced with the option of not building/crushing the excess inventory :( or selling the excess cars Big M chose to ship the cars to the USA :)

Big M pushed these excess cars into the USA dealership network with some good lease deals made available as a sweetener. The cars that the dealerships refused to take (couldn’t sell) were then shipped to little C to dispose of ....

little C was told by Big M ‘do what it takes to get these cars sold!’ The other dealers complained to Big M headquarters about territorial boundary infringements. Big M commiserated with them, shedding a river of crocodile tears, saying yes we have talked to little C about that - tut tut. So poor little C became the whipping boy ....

This fable is fiction and any similarity to real events is purely coincidental

·
Owner
79 Posts
There will always be folks who place a deposit (usually only ~5% of MSRP) and then decide not to take delivery 5-6 months later. Provided it isn't a poorly spec'ed car which is hard to sell (i.e. lime green interior with pink exterior), dealers will typically refund the deposit upon delivery of the car and sell to a new owner. In rare cases, they will hold the deposit until they sell the car.

Nevertheless, with less than 300 of these 765LT's destined to the US, there are not likely to be many available on the floor. I guess what I am saying is that you were very lucky to find a brand new 675LT at a dealer, especially since those cars were even more rare than the 765LT's will be. On the flip side, people now know what an LT is capable of (unlike when the 675LT's were released) so there may be even fewer folks willing to give up their delivery. Time will tell.
I wasn't lucky...there were 675LT's available at other dealers at MSRP on the showroom floor...I liked the particular spec..and there was plenty of hype on the 675LT prior to release. Announcing the spider version as the coupes were about to be delivered hurt coupe market before it even started!!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
It looks like the demand for the 765 is pretty darn good. I am hearing that allocations are done for now and possibly a few may pop up. They are already going over list.

181 - 192 of 192 Posts