McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if there is anyone here that wants one that doesnt have an allocation?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I got my allocation and now need to decide if I get rid of my Pista and go back to Mclaren. Loved my 720s when i had it and I also love the Pista. With 1530 (coupe and spiders) being produced I am not sure how bad the depreciation will be combined with the current market for luxury goods. I always expect every car purchase to depreciate it’s just a matter of how much.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I got my allocation and now need to decide if I get rid of my Pista and go back to Mclaren. Loved my 720s when i had it and I also love the Pista. With 1530 (coupe and spiders) being produced I am not sure how bad the depreciation will be combined with the current market for luxury goods. I always expect every car purchase to depreciate it’s just a matter of how much.
Well how many pistas were or ar still beeing build. I guess over 3000 pista coupe or even more. In my market (small market Switzerland are 17 pistas for sale, and not moving at all, and some all ready under MSRP).
It would be wrong to think Ferrari with is current build strategie, over 10000 cars per year will not beeing hit by depreciation. Just a matter of time

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well how many pistas were or ar still beeing build. I guess over 3000 pista coupe or even more. In my market (small market Switzerland are 17 pistas for sale, and not moving at all, and some all ready under MSRP).
It would be wrong to think Ferrari with is current build strategie, over 10000 cars per year will not beeing hit by depreciation. Just a matter of time
As I stated in my post I always expect every car purchase to depreciate. I have had 3 Mclarens and this is my 4 Ferrari. Every single one of them has depreciated. (Some of them have lost a LOT more than others). I think a person is foolish if they buy a car and don’t expect it to depreciate. The issue is how much will you potentially lose. My belief is in the current market the depreciation curve is going to be steep for no matter what brand car you buy. My personal decision is do I jump in on the latest and greatest or keep what I have for a while (history is on the side of me getting the latest and greatest).

·
Registered
166 Posts
Definitely keep the Pista. It will get some depreciation but the market demand for that car is exponentially bigger than McLaren at this time.
I do think the 765LT will be a better car and outperform the Pista but if you are weighing up which will loose the most stick with Ferrari.
Especially as you already own it and I assume you bought it at list?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Definitely keep the Pista. It will get some depreciation but the market demand for that car is exponentially bigger than McLaren at this time.
I do think the 765LT will be a better car and outperform the Pista but if you are weighing up which will loose the most stick with Ferrari.
Especially as you already own it and I assume you bought it at list?
the Pista has been a blast. I actually drove it to the office today and It is fun with no cars on the road. With that being said, I’ve always been fond of McLaren. They have treated me like a real customer and They set me up on a tour in woking a few years back. Ferrari is a different story! I‘ve never liked or appreciated the games they play. I still have some time to decide and will see what happens with the economy in the coming months. Stay safe everyone!

·
Registered
77 Posts
The pista will depreciate it has already started to I don't understand what SAS is saying. The car has no demand hence why none are or have been selling

·
Registered
235 Posts
The pista will depreciate it has already started to I don't understand what SAS is saying. The car has no demand hence why none are or have been selling
ALL cars depreciate. Doesn’t matter the brand anymore and the days of Ferrari selling for msrp a year later are long gone. I “think” what SAS is saying is there is usually more of a demand for a Pista than a Mclaren. This is probably true but the market is so soft right now that I don’t think there is much of a demand for any exotic. For every car I’ve every purchased I expect to lose money. Life is too short to worry about depreciation. I drive the cars and enjoy them. My concern Is buying ANY new exotic in the Current market and especially a car that isn’t so limited. For me it isn’t a Mclaren vs Ferrari depreciation issue as both will depreciate, but a how much will the 765lt (or a SF90 for that matter) take a hit? I’m a car NUT and crazy but I really don’t want to buy ANY exotic and lose 50% in a year (just an exaggeration to make a point). I have to remain somewhat sensible. Lol.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The local Ferrari dealer in my area currently has five Pista's on the floor for sale and I'm sure any one of them can be had at a nice discount. Other than very limited hyper cars you should expect depreciation as part of the cost of ownership. Best way I know to bend the curve is buy pre-owned or resist checking all the options boxes when purchasing new.

·
Registered
166 Posts
you need to read my post, I didn’t say anything about the Pista not depreciating?
My view was that it would be less and he already owns the Pista therefore it would make more sense to stay put.
He would have to sell the Pista at a loss then take on a bigger depreciation with a new purchase.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The local Ferrari dealer in my area currently has five Pista's on the floor for sale and I'm sure any one of them can be had at a nice discount. Other than very limited hyper cars you should expect depreciation as part of the cost of ownership. Best way I know to bend the curve is buy pre-owned or resist checking all the options boxes when purchasing new.
Very well said. I’ve always kept my cars with the basic must have options. My Pista was 425k as I didn’t go crazy with options. The 765lt, without all of the carbon on the exterior is actually decently priced. if you don’t need the latest and greatest pre-owned is absolutely the way to go. Wait for a sucker like me to get tired of the car in 12-16 months and with only 2500 miles and sell it at a huge discount. Lol.

·
Registered
263 Posts
by the way my Mclaren dealer called me a few weeks ago and offered a 765LT allocation if I wanted one. Seems so many people are now sitting on the fence it just got easier. I never actually put my name on a list but I've owned three McLaren's and currently own a 2020 600LT Spider which I'm in no hurry to part with.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I plan to keep my Pista, maybe get rid of my F12 or GT3. I do believe the 765 will be epic and like you I loved both of my 720's, I had a coupe and a spider. They will all depreciate button knowing the next crop will be hybrid might help values for the Pista and 765.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
by the way my Mclaren dealer called me a few weeks ago and offered a 765LT allocation if I wanted one. Seems so many people are now sitting on the fence it just got easier. I never actually put my name on a list but I've owned three McLaren's and currently own a 2020 600LT Spider which I'm in no hurry to part with.
Might not be worth parting with the 600, you will take a big hit and have to spend another $200K for the 765.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So to be clear in these few responses a couple people have been offered but unsure they will take one. I wonder how this will play out. I have heard that they may cap them to 500 vs. 765, I would like to confirm this if anyone can help.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I too have recently purchased a 600LT spider. I checked with my dealer about the possibility of getting a 765. He told me they had not yet heard how many allocations they would be getting. They are currently taking name for a list with refundable deposits.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Is there any info regarding the popularity of the double glazed engine window? I was leaning towards ticking the box but then realized I intend to tint all the rear and side windows, so it wouldn’t be very visible....

·
720s
903 Posts
Asked if I wanted and passed. Know 3 others that did the same and one is on fence.

Think the 765 will be amazing of course, but I will see what will happen with exotic market for rest of the year. I'm not going to get locked into anything at this point.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts