McLaren Life banner

750S, thoughts on the McLaren 720S replacement

163K views 2K replies 119 participants last post by  VGJ 
#1 ·
Hey Guys... with all this Covid stuff and supply/manufacturing delays etc... i have to imagine the LT may be slightly delayed which could push out the 720 replacement as we still need to see the LT spider...

I am definitely skipping the LT because the thought of a 720 replacement being hybrid is going to be mad performance numbers... cant wait for the new tech!

Anyway, i need to eventually extend my warranty on my 2018 (end of this year i think) so probably going to extend for 2 years depending on the release of the 720 replacement....

are we thinking the 720 replacement deliveries will be in 2023? I am thinking it could even be closer to end of 2023 which would have me keep the 720s for another 3 years...! thats a record for me [emoji41]

Thoughts on: 1- extending warranty and 2- the delivery year for 720 replacement?

#678 ·
With the current prices of hypercars I feel McLaren would leave a lot on the table if they price them anything under 3 million dollars. In my opinion they should be able to sell 500 cars for that price. All 99 Bugatti Mistrals were all pre-sold and they were 5 million euros euros each. Rebodied Aventadors like the Sian and Countach were 2.5m dollars each. With how beloved the P1 and how good it still is I'm sure a lot of people won't pass an opportunity to own a P2 if they are given the chance.

#681 ·
They’ve thrown out feelers about the number of cars and pricing to dealers (p1 replacement ) .

keep in mind that it has to be priced right for all markets and it isn’t separate pricing by country (with minor variations ). What USA buyers may be willing to pay would be much different in other markets .

comparing to speed tail /elva is probably not the correct comparison (much lower in numbers vs what the p1 replacement will be).

it still seems to be a bit of a battle of who will be making the ultimate decisions for who gets the car (dealer vs. country/regional head/manufacture . It seems to be original owners of ultimate series cars and still owning them at the time of decision making will be given preference (I think only 30% of the original p1 owners at my dealer still own it) . Many own multiple ultimate series cars so you have to get rid of duplication when looking at the total amount of ultimate series cars owned by customer .

Legally on road legal cars - manufacture customer is dealer and end client is customer of dealer. It should be upto dealer of picking the customers ….. mclaren held too many senna allocations for direct customers and it doesn’t seem to me that it worked out for them …. Thankfully a new guy in charge in USA and u.k.

#683 ·
They’ve thrown out feelers about the number of cars and pricing to dealers (p1 replacement ) .

keep in mind that it has to be priced right for all markets and it isn’t separate pricing by country (with minor variations ). What USA buyers may be willing to pay would be much different in other markets .

comparing to speed tail /elva is probably not the correct comparison (much lower in numbers vs what the p1 replacement will be).

it still seems to be a bit of a battle of who will be making the ultimate decisions for who gets the car (dealer vs. country/regional head/manufacture . It seems to be original owners of ultimate series cars and still owning them at the time of decision making will be given preference (I think only 30% of the original p1 owners at my dealer still own it) . Many own multiple ultimate series cars so you have to get rid of duplication when looking at the total amount of ultimate series cars owned by customer .

Legally on road legal cars - manufacture customer is dealer and end client is customer of dealer. It should be upto dealer of picking the customers ….. mclaren held too many senna allocations for direct customers and it doesn’t seem to me that it worked out for them …. Thankfully a new guy in charge in USA and u.k.
Just a question out of curiosity, where do F1 owners rank (if at all) when it comes to customer status?

#716 ·
that’s choose your own adventure. You can get some pretty amazing stuff from the heritage catalog from around $12K but the sky is the limit. And when you’re done with that, you can get multiple applications in different colors, and satin, and tinted carbon fiber and and and …

#721 ·
It hasn’t gotten to that stage yet . I was told to expect to get some activity on this at the end of December /early January .

it should be a similar process as 765 spider .

dealer submits names for customers who will spec under NDA before the car publicly launches . Mclaren approves those customers .

zoom call with dealer/customer/mso. No public configurator will be available until the car publicly launches .

mso will have some renders showing some possibilities and then we configure .

note; there is some logistical issues . Much less MSO people to spec with compared to 765 spider time . Less people will be given an opportunity to spec with mso and before public reveal this time around

#723 ·
Not true at my dealership for the first few I’m aware of. Also...’most’ of the time the first cars off the line are not MSO builds because they take longer. This was true for the 765’s as well. The early early cars were ‘configurator’ specs.

Super high MSO spec cars usually take a while. Esp. ones with unique liveries, and special cf bits etc...My dealership is still waiting on 3 heavy MSO spec 765 spiders...specced/ordered 18 months ago.

Again...your relationship with dealer/corporate/history matters a lot. I’m well aware of opportunity cost, which I have no problem with...but as we’ve seen with Artura ‘info’ dissemination as well as 750 ‘info’ not everything applies equally across the board. However, if that’s what ‘your’ dealer is requiring then so be it...It’s a small price to pay for an awesome car and spec’ing with MSO is loads of fun...and expensive LOL.

#724 ·
your dealer hasn’t delivered any 750s yet [emoji15]… lets see what happens in January… lets be honest and somewhat intuitive … if they have to choose between a buyer spending 360k on a 750 and one buyer willing to spend +400k, guess who gets the allocation which is very limited to begin with??? we all have unbelievable relationships with our dealers but business is business unless your dealer is nonprofit?

• Haha
Reactions: alexceres and unmac
#726 ·
I wouldn’t be jumping on spourezza.
Keep in mind that info gets outdated and he and me are specifically talking about the early spec 750 with mso before the car is launched and not the allocations after the public reveal .

My Mac dealer has told me that mclaren hasn’t really given them incentives when they submit high spec customer cars (incentive meaning more allocations ).

ferrari and lambo have given incentives to dealers for other ways to get more allocations (lambo experience high paid events as an example , racing and high specing cars ). My lambo dealer got 3 extra STO allocations by getting one of their customers to sign up for super trofeo racing series . They got an extra tecnica allocations by buying 4 event tickets to tecnica track day experience at thermal (4x3k spend ).. having a customer spend $100k in options on the sterrato and paying lambo $20k for the customer to go to the lambo lounge to spec the car .

Ferrari does the same thing with the racing side of things and high specing cars .

Dealer dependent bit different customers get different amount of leeway of how to go about doing things .

#727 ·
I wouldn’t be jumping on spourezza.
Keep in mind that info gets outdated and he and me are specifically talking about the early spec 750 with mso before the car is launched and not the allocations after the public reveal .

My Mac dealer has told me that mclaren hasn’t really given them incentives when they submit high spec customer cars (incentive meaning more allocations ).

ferrari and lambo have given incentives to dealers for other ways to get more allocations (lambo experience high paid events as an example , racing and high specing cars ). My lambo dealer got 3 extra STO allocations by getting one of their customers to sign up for super trofeo racing series . They got an extra tecnica allocations by buying 4 event tickets to tecnica track day experience at thermal (4x3k spend ).. having a customer spend $100k in options on the sterrato and paying lambo $20k for the customer to go to the lambo lounge to spec the car .

Ferrari does the same thing with the racing side of things and high specing cars .

Dealer dependent bit different customers get different amount of leeway of how to go about doing things .
thank you unmac. i was merely referring to the early allocations where an NDA needs to be signed… once its public, any spec can be ordered IF one can get an allocation at that point… i guess if someone doesnt want to build an MSO spec, they can skip early allocations and wait but then you run risk of not getting one allocated to you since limited run

Reactions: unmac
#733 ·
This is a weird thought, but does McLaren and perhaps other car makers have a tick-tock cycle of refreshing cars?

This happens with intel CPUs and famously apple with their iPhones (iPhone 4, then 4S (tick for minor revision), then iPhone 5 (Tok for major revision)).

Mclaren went from 12C to 650 (tick) to the 720 (major revision) to now apparently the 750 (tick). I think Ferrari also had this for a while with 360 to 430 (tick) to 458 (tock).

If this is the pattern, wouldnt that suggest that the 750 was always planned as a minor tick?

#736 ·
Almost every manufacture does a mid-cycle refresh on cars before moving to the next brand new design. It may be less obvious with the supercar brands vs. a BMW, Porsche etc. but I don't think there's any great mystery to these cycles.

Usually it's all just R&D carry over anyways. The MKII version of Porsches generally have refreshes etc. that then carry over to the next "new" design. I.e. the engine in the 992.1 GT3 came from the 991.2 (refresh).

#734 ·
launch of 750 delayed by about 2 months… nothing in december or january…. february release now for deliveries july/august for early specs. No NDAs will need to be signed as of now. but allocations still limited… thats most i can say for obvious reasons…

#744 ·
here is some nuggets to help:

1- no public release until February or march … dont expect anything in december or january… the artura issues have pushed back things…
2- gear ratio will match 765
3- same center console as 720 but front screen will be artura
4- exhaust placement same place as 765…
5-will be called 750
6- modestly more options to chose from
7- will look almostly identical as 720… doesnt appear lights have changed.
8- apple carplay

This post has been deleted
#762 ·
As I've said before, as far as non-ultimate series McLaren's go, this could be 'THE' one to have. LT cars aren't for everyone. Hybrid isn't for everyone. V6 isn't for everyone. The 750 could be the perfect swan song for full ICE McLaren's. With the short 18-24 month run and overall Mac production as slow as it is, it'll be a hard one to get.

#765 ·
The 750 could become the 458 of McLarens and sky rocket in value as enthusiasts/purists yearn for driving experiences lost in evolution. McLaren did not undergo a passing of the torch from NA to forced induction, but it is about to experience an arguably more profound evolution from ICE to hybrid. Just as the 458 was the last of an era, the 750 may take on similar -- or greater -- significance as ICEs are phased out. I would not be surprised if, in years to come, the 750 is more valuable than its replacement, just as the 458 is more valuable than the 488.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.