McLaren Life banner

750S, thoughts on the McLaren 720S replacement

163K views 2K replies 119 participants last post by  VGJ 
#1 ·
Hey Guys... with all this Covid stuff and supply/manufacturing delays etc... i have to imagine the LT may be slightly delayed which could push out the 720 replacement as we still need to see the LT spider...

I am definitely skipping the LT because the thought of a 720 replacement being hybrid is going to be mad performance numbers... cant wait for the new tech!

Anyway, i need to eventually extend my warranty on my 2018 (end of this year i think) so probably going to extend for 2 years depending on the release of the 720 replacement....

are we thinking the 720 replacement deliveries will be in 2023? I am thinking it could even be closer to end of 2023 which would have me keep the 720s for another 3 years...! thats a record for me [emoji41]

Thoughts on: 1- extending warranty and 2- the delivery year for 720 replacement?

#53 ·
I think the new CEO is hell bent on going to hybrid as quickly as possible...by 2026 all Macs will likely be hybrid...and the rumors of an all EV SUV are disappointing...Personally I don’t think you’ll see an LT version of the 750...but perhaps an ‘HS’ version as a final hurrah to ICE.

Enjoy the next 2-10 years. Even Ferrari will go full EV sooner than later. For now...hybrid is the name of the game and likely will be until 2030 or so...

#93 ·
I think the new CEO is hell bent on going to hybrid as quickly as possible...by 2026 all Macs will likely be hybrid...and the rumors of an all EV SUV are disappointing...Personally I don’t think you’ll see an LT version of the 750...but perhaps an ‘HS’ version as a final hurrah to ICE. Enjoy the next 2-10 years. Even Ferrari will go full EV sooner than later. For now...hybrid is the name of the game and likely will be until 2030 or so...
Sorry to tell you that the ICE will not be dead. Zero emission fuels will be part of it but we need to overcome the idealization of an ICE combined with an electric motor (aka heavier car) will rule the world. Or the coal burning EV option. I believe a combination of these will be the future. Let the flames begin!

#61 ·
People have been discussing it in the Artura review threads, so I started a thread on it separately. I'm not sure where the information is coming from. I'm guessing leaks being passed along as hearsay. But the leaks around here have generally proven out in most cases. So it's an interesting development for those that thought a true new platform upgrade was coming for the 720.

#72 ·
I dont think there would be time to do a cycle of all 4 cars? Coupe, Spyder, LT Coupe, LT Spyder. Otherwise, even at a year a piece, youre talking 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, and so we dont get the new platform until 2027? That's a LOT of time for the Artura to hold the hybrid line for McLaren.

Although, oddly, it could also end up being a point of differentiation. If ALL of the Ferrari options are hybrid, having a non-hybrid offering could end up being a surprise hit.

#73 ·
I dont think there would be time to do a cycle of all 4 cars? Coupe, Spyder, LT Coupe, LT Spyder. Otherwise, even at a year a piece, youre talking 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, and so we dont get the new platform until 2027? That's a LOT of time for the Artura to hold the hybrid line for McLaren.

Although, oddly, it could also end up being a point of differentiation. If ALL of the Ferrari options are hybrid, having a non-hybrid offering could end up being a surprise hit.
from an enthusiast I agree, but Id bet the majority of the buyers market want the latest and greatest.

#79 ·
it makes sense to run the platform for 3 or 4 more years and thats it. The LT is already out there. I agree with my dealer that the 750 will have the coupe and then announce the spider 1 year later so thats 2 years. Then they begin leaking pics and launch the official super series hybrid in year 3 or 4…. likely deliveries in year 4 of the 750 being out there. I guess that would make the new super series hybrid a MY ‘26 or ‘27???

I have to imagine the 750 will hold its value given it will be the latest and greatest and last non hybrid… I hope we see same price reaction as F8 with the release of the 296!!!????

Reactions: alexceres
#81 ·
Think about it this way. P1 is 903 HP. Would it be wise to have a super series have more go on paper than a P1 if the P1 replacement isn't out yet? No. So whatever the P1 replacement is on power, it'll probably be in the middle. If I had to take a stab they'll probably rate it for 850-900 and probably do it at the wheels, over 1k at the crank.

#90 ·
Is your Google broken? :mad:

Alright, alright, I will play along! Wet cylinder liner is a liner that's in direct contact with the coolant. This means it basically acts as the sole structure for the wall of the cylinder and needs to be pretty big and heavy - and that's made worse by the fact that the cylinder liner will be made from cast iron. Really, though, I think the main point is that Mclaren have been using cylinder liners to begin with - which I would call an obsolete technology now. Many rivals have long switched to cylinder wall coatings (like Nikasil) where there is no liner and the aluminium wall itself gets coated instead.

As for cooling, having no liner helps with that too, because aluminium conducts heat much better than steel. A potential problem is how to design large enough cooling channels without weakening the wall of the cylinder too much - because aluminium is also structurally much weaker than steel - but this has generally not been a problem for the production car levels of Nm/L. Once you push the boost high enough, steel liners might become preferable - and that's what you often see on 1000hp+ builds - but for 200-250Nm/L it's not needed. I am sure the Mclaren engine will be pushed much further in the future without major changes.

#89 ·
My best bet would be still on V8 hybrid for 720s successor. If you consider Lamborghini is going to put a V12 Hybrid into the Aventador successor then mcLaren would have to a hard time selling a V6 habrid 720S successor...Also McLaren will need a V8 Hybrid engine anyway for P1 sucessor so it would make sense they would also use it in the Super Series.

#96 ·
Can anyone with more experience/knowledge share if McLaren does customer focus groups for their model roadmap? Do they have go-to customers they test out concepts with? What does it take to join that club? Just curious since there are some strong preferences on power plant options.

#97 ·
They send out survey emails from time to time, typically when making big model changes. I got one back in January maybe asking about specific desires in a hybrid, preference of hybrid, thoughts on SUV's, some different features, etc. I got another one maybe in February about some other stuff, had some exhaust sound clips to rank. I know I'm on a customer list with corporate and that's probably how I got it.

#99 ·
This is why manufacturers don't talk about new models while older ones are still available to buy. Sales halt if they did.

#102 ·
Today I asked my dealer, an honest and well informed guy. Regarding the „750“ he said a facelift is possible but currently no details are available, no roadmap, nothing. Last week took place a briefing/education session, but not one word about such a project from McLaren side. Sure is that Leiters currently is focusing completely on the Artura rollout, this product „enjoys“ the full focus from the McLaren management, this model has to fill up the production line over the next few years…

#104 ·
anyone hear anything new on the mid cycle refresh of the 720 (aka 750)?

#109 ·
Yeah ; just to give some information to others .

Communication differs by dealers within the dealership . Some have the dealer principles sit in on the calls with the mothership and don’t bother telling sales people .

Sales people find out from owners finding out through other sources .

Some owners /customers then feel left out that they didn’t know .

My dealer tells me that as soon as something is posted on social media that he will get a lot of phone calls and sometimes people are a little upset that they didn’t know about it … my sales guy says that he has 700 mclaren customers and gets inundated with phone calls before he has even been able to tell 5 customers about it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.