McLaren Life banner
21 - 40 of 2,068 Posts
A few things …

mclaren owners have loose lips and like to blabber things that they shouldn’t be discussing .

mclaren is updating dealers or preparing them for future product . However, the initial communications aren’t sorted yet as things aren’t finalized . Smart dealers will not inform anyone because they know the information can change and they don’t have solid information to share …..

however, some dealers will inform select customers and tell them about these things but they aren’t meant for public consumption ….. loose lips start telling others , then they ask their dealers , then blabber openly on social media about it .

back when 765 spider was done with nda and mso - it wasn’t for all dealers … they didn’t have enough mso personnel to do it . However , they wanted to get a jump on the manufacturing process before the car was publicly revealed and have the cars in customer hands shortly after it was announced (car was officially announced in August 2021 and first customer car made it into USA at the beginning of October 2021).

5 of us at my dealer did it under nda with mso before the car was officially launched . All would have been delivered by beginning of December 2021 until there was a stop at the end of November . A few of those cars were heavy mso and 2 of them arrived before end of November and the other 3 arrived end of January 2022.

my dealer had all 5 delivered before some dealers even had one delivered . The reason being that they built the cars based on when the build sheets were submitted and finalized to mclaren . My dealer was diligent and had us submit them very early . This is the reason why ours got built very early relative to other dealers . Timelines started changing for cars that hadn’t even started to be built by the end of November .

NDA and pre spec 750 before public reveal is correct and was supposed to happen by end of December . Practical problem was that there is now only 3 people to spec with mso (at the time this nda /pre spec thing was decided )….. therefore , your dealer may have not been able to make this cut and other dealers were able to make this cut (my dealer told me it was going to be 3 of his customers ).

now it’s delayed but as of a couple of weeks ago ; my dealer said that his information has not changed about nda and pre spec before public reveal . It’s possible that your dealers were not able to make this cut and you may not be able to spec until after public reveal .

fwiw; I rarely ask my dealer any questions on these types of things because I don’t want to put them in a compromising situation …. However , they will sometimes proactively inform me of things without me asking .

waiting for my dealer....thumb rolling.

Some folks seem to be upset about the 750...Genuinely curious, what are you upset about? What is McLaren doing wrong here?

At the end of the day, it's not only a smart move by McLaren, it's their ONLY move. They are NOT ready for the Hybrid replacement and they need to keep up with the competition.

The 488 wasn't in the same class as a 720...so I'd rather piggy back from a 720 than a 488 (into an F8). The 750 vs 765LT will be an F8 vs. Pista discussion. It's that simple.

You'll have some minor body tweaks, more power, same weight, 765 tranny, redesigned seats, updated electronics (with car play), and better warranty and service etc...Exactly what don't people like about this? The 720 was already spectacular and STILL is. The ONLY thing I can think of is people wanted a 'fresher' design after 5+ years. It can't be performance because people are RAVING about the performance of the 296 and the 750 will match that for sure, and likely best it. It also has the electronic upgrades (similar to an Artura). So what gives?

Lastly, the car will have NO problem selling. My dealer has known for many months how many allocations they are getting. ALL of them are spoken for in 2023 and likely 2024 as well. This car will sell just fine because there won't be that many of them. McLaren desperately needs the revenue/cash flow. They only have GT's and Artura's to sell at the moment.
how many are they planning to sell? if it is a run of two years or three years=3,000?

Well I wrote it before and I still think it’s the same: Ferrari and Mclaren don’t have the same buyers … of course some very wealthy ppl buy both brands and have collections or at least 3+ such cars from different brands, but simply put most mclaren buyers moved upward from Porsche 911/ Audi R8 etc while most Ferrari buyers are more buying the car as a status symbol and the brand is positioned closer to the luxury market than McL … additionally Ferrari has about 4-5x the client base if not 10x …
From this comes the observation that mclaren clients are way more price sensitive than Ferrari clients and Mclaren can easily price itself out of a significant part of its market … therefore the replacement of the 720s cannot be priced too high (330-350k base seem to work - 400-420 won’t) … power ratings and other numbers won’t change much about that as the ppl at some point just won’t buy the cars anymore … and simply put a SF90 or V12 Lambo even if inferior from its performance carries more social status, which is a big part for many owners … maybe not so much the ones here in the forum, where the discussion is mainly technical and performance related but more on the street …

after driving a ferrari, lamborghini and porsche a few times, I decided to to try my hand on a 720s and after buying and owning it will never look back. It is a better car. I don't even cross shop it anymore.

I’m kind of in a dilemma. If history is to repeat itself, I’m a current 720s owner which is akin to a 12C owner. If you’re going to upgrade, will you upgrade to a 650S(750S) or a 675LT(765LT) or just wait for McLaren hybrid to come?

It will probably very close to the 765 numbers since the 720 is no slouch to begin with but exceed the 765 it will not. I'm guessing a small changes cosmetically, different wheels, a few new paint options and possibly a similar dashboard from the Artura. I'd love to see a Senna seat/harness bar option also.
why create a slower vehicle? progress is faster. my guess is the 750S will be faster though the 765LT will be an icon.

Or how much longer they will. McLaren owners tend to dump these things car surfing on to the next one and the next one. Very few keep them. And I think it's why McLaren should make the 750 an 850. It's always best to eclipse your own products rather than the competition doing it for you.
why create a lesser model. nobody would desire the 750S since the 765LT will eclipse it. my guess is 820S lol!

that was my point in my prior post… after seeing car, i do not think demand after this initial wave will exceed supply. performance is better but not a fan of the front. i was actually a bit disappointed… you can tell this car was NOT initially planned and became a stopgap post the covid meltdown… a couple of tweaks to performance, some changes to rear and front, some things added for free, some things you cant get anymore and boom, here is the refresh… thats all i can say. It is a lazy “refresh” imho.

I think after initial deposits are done, you’ll be able to order one despite all this buzz…. The’ll produce these to make money until a hybrid is ready…

if they run the car for 3 years, there is likely production beyond ‘25… into ‘26…. and if hybrid is delayed, into ‘27 you may see them. Now this is opinion but some common sense, after the artura launch disaster, i would think mclaren would really prep for their thoroughbred launch of another hybrid… I have owned more than 4 mac’s, i think they are starting to figure out they can’t launch a car that isnt ready…

And somewhere i read the artura is in high demand? Dont think so. My dealer advertises specials on it and constantly sends marketing to come by and order one… nothing in my view sees the artura as a high demand car.

love the brand but being honest here…. nothing will happen to 765 values and my guess is after initial wave, you’ll be able to get one. as long as hybrid is far off, they will pump these out.
Pics?

21 - 40 of 2,068 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.