McLaren Life banner

750S, thoughts on the McLaren 720S replacement

130721 Views 2093 Replies 120 Participants Last post by  VGJ
Hey Guys... with all this Covid stuff and supply/manufacturing delays etc... i have to imagine the LT may be slightly delayed which could push out the 720 replacement as we still need to see the LT spider...

I am definitely skipping the LT because the thought of a 720 replacement being hybrid is going to be mad performance numbers... cant wait for the new tech!

Anyway, i need to eventually extend my warranty on my 2018 (end of this year i think) so probably going to extend for 2 years depending on the release of the 720 replacement....

are we thinking the 720 replacement deliveries will be in 2023? I am thinking it could even be closer to end of 2023 which would have me keep the 720s for another 3 years...! thats a record for me

Thoughts on: 1- extending warranty and 2- the delivery year for 720 replacement?
1 - 20 of 2094 Posts
I asked a friend of mine who is high up in Mclaren, “what’s up with this 750S?”. She responded, “no comment ;)
She didn't have an NDA to the NDA -:)
  • Haha
Reactions: 2
The rest of the world has never heard of it, everyone is actually quoting information they read here....... 😂
Negative …. Mclaren did inform dealers back in July. Some dealers told customers about it but many didn’t .
I read it here then I asked my dealer about it and he said "yup the forum is right."
Yeah ; just to give some information to others .

Communication differs by dealers within the dealership . Some have the dealer principles sit in on the calls with the mothership and don’t bother telling sales people .

Sales people find out from owners finding out through other sources .

Some owners /customers then feel left out that they didn’t know .

My dealer tells me that as soon as something is posted on social media that he will get a lot of phone calls and sometimes people are a little upset that they didn’t know about it … my sales guy says that he has 700 mclaren customers and gets inundated with phone calls before he has even been able to tell 5 customers about it
Reactions: 1
I agree but why make a watered down 765LT? They should at least increase the output to 810/820 if this would be their last ICE engine.
The 750 is just to keep things fresh until the real replacement .

New 720’s are still in demand but there’s a lot of former owners who are sitting in the wings and trying to hop back in . Some people came back in by buying a 720 spider but many would rather not get the same model they already owned . 750 will be just different enough to get people back in who are on the sidelines or lease about to run out .

Not one person (Mac employee or dealer ) has said that it will exceed 765 in any performance category
Reactions: 5
It will exceed the 765 in ability to have CarPlay! :D 765 owners will have to console themselves with the built in exhaust sound system! :D
Ha ha . 765 owners by my way are planning on getting the 750 but as an addition rather then a replacement . Lots of buying cars and jockeying for position for future limited edition cars and /or placement in line for other future cars .
  • Wow
Dealers received updated communication on 11/03….

non disclosure agreements will be involved with early customers .

my dealers are sort of nervous with how many people have already made inquiries and which customers will be able to get one
Reactions: 3
So what I seem to be getting is that if you aren't already a strong customer this car is going to be quite difficult to get?
lob in a call to your dealer . My dealer ;(one of the big ones ) is only getting 20 cars over the next year . They’ll probably get a max of 40 cars over the 2 year run
  • Sad
think it might be more than a 2 year run. between launch of the replacement and when they actually start to deliver cars...
Could be. I'm just relaying what was told to me by my 2 local dealers.
Damn just 40? I talked to someone from McLaren SF during the Artura drive showcase that didn't let any info go about it. Might be since I haven't purchased a car or built a connection really. Would it be better to call or just go in person?
always better to go In person . All Mac dealers in USA were informed a few weeks ago of how many 750 they would get over the next year (mclaren let’s dealers know how many cars they will be getting over the next 12 months.

navin is in a real jam and sweats when someone asks him for a 750.
  • Wow
Reactions: 4
Will they only take deposits from established customers?
dealer dependent …. Past history of Mac Sf is that deposit comes into play when one receives an allocation . No deposit for the interest list /pool of people.
Unmac, as mentioned in my prior post, i am top of their list for the spider and they have my cash from my prior 720 sale to them about month ago. I even have a trade in sheet that shows cash being deployed towards “refresh 720”. so all good there

But, they haven’t received any material info like your dealer did. no reason why they wouldnt tell me. this is big east coast dealer. i also checked two others who i know but not my primary dealer and they echoed similar lack of info responses…

could only certain dealers got info and could these dealers like in SF kind of exaggerate on what they know? i just dont understand why there is an info gap especially since i am a top candidate for an early allocation….

and why arent we seeing any leaks if this thing is a couple of months away from being announced? even if refresh, surprising that nothing has hit our inboxes or the internet

You are very well informed so i am curious… thx big man
Im pretty close to my two local Mac dealers (and a lot of
Dealer personnel worldwide follow me on Instagram and regularly communicate with me)…. There has been instances where dealers or other owners have messaged me about things that I didn’t know or my dealer didn’t know …. My dealer then told me that the dealer principle who was on the conference calls with mclaren or who received the materials didn’t bother to send it to him … he only followed up to see what was going on after he started to receive communications from owners .

The common theme I’m seeing (for those who are posting info about 750 on the forums ), is that we fall in the west coast jurisdiction . Our dealers would be communicating with the west coast regional sales head. Perhaps he informed the dealers and the other regional sales heads didn’t update the dealers with information .

I’m 100% certain that all dealers worldwide do know how many 750 they will be getting next year . Order books/ allocation decisions, etc haven’t happened yet (maybe promises have been made to customers but nothing official in mclaren systems for allocation by customer .

fwiw; a few private messages on the forums and on Instagram were sent to me back at the end of July /beginning of august asking about 750 (that’s when dealers were given official notice about the car . One of the southeast USA owners asked me about it and he said that interest list was already 10 people deep
at that time with his dealer .
See less See more
thx man. very helpful… we wait! are you getting one also? i am pumped
your welcome and yes I’m getting one …. However, demand is very strong for this car in my area . I wouldn’t be surprised if my dealer asks me to sit this one out and give up the allocation for some other customer.
  • Wow
no need for my dealer to be coy with me. its my 7th car from them and i have a order sheet for the “refresh” with cash already down from my 720 sale that they are holding for the tax credit.
how long does it take for the tax credit to expire in your jurisdiction? (We don’t get tax credit on trades in California )
Of course, the 765 didn’t fit the needs of everyone however I’m sure there are some who wanted a 765 and will be happy McLaren is offering the 750.

So does this mean the 750 will be compared by journalists with the 296? It’ll be a similar price point unlike the Artura.
your sentiments about 765 and getting 750…. Dealers will tell or recommend based on demand or trying to appease as many customers as possible . A person at your dealer was told about 750 back in august and in the same conversation was told by sales person that it won’t be as good as 765. It seems he wanted to present the car to high value customers for the sake of doing it but didn’t really want him to take it and give it to others .

most dealers won’t do that because they don’t want to sacrifice the recurring customers to appease others .
Some people are guessing correctly... # to be made, $$$, criteria to get one...

A bit of an internal battle of who is going to be making the decisions of who gets one.... dealers don't trust mclaren and mclaren don't trust dealers... Dealers and Mclarens have both made very bad decisions in the past of who have been able to get one..... Dealers telling customers to phuck off for senna and mclaren wind up giving it to them over many other deserving people. Dealers taking control of 765 and may were flipped and given to people who shouldn't have received one.

Mclarens been busy cancelling owners who have made wrong decisions (regardless of how many cars one may have bought in the past).

Maybe people will one day change their behavior when there becomes real consequences of not buying cars and building history and/or flipping them.
  • Wow
My dealer said it was Mclaren deciding who gets one for the 765.
dealers submitted customers to mclaren USA . Mclaren USA approved the customers . The bar was low for approving the customer (as long as they weren’t on some banned list or submitted by another dealer ). Ultimately up to dealers who received 765 .
Can confirm that dealers are now taking deposits on the "750" for a January release, spec confirmation and "no later then the end of 23 delivery" date, depending where you are in the queue
Loose lips shink ships 🤐👎🏾
  • Haha
It would be interesting to know who will be trading in 720 to get 750. (Most of the people I know at established dealers already sold out of 720 or traded it in many years ago).

people whose dealers have confirmed to them that they will indeed be getting a 750.

There won’t be many 750’s and most of them will start to become delivered in late summer/early fall 2023.
Same was said with the 765LT … in the end there are a lot of quiet basic 765LTs around with only very few options taken … especially the ones that went to resellers…
Mclaren first learned with senna . They wanted to get FaceTime with owners to get many MSO options. They wanted us to come to the u.k. to spec . If people didn’t go then they set up shop in Las Vegas and had owners go and spec directly with mso . If you couldn’t make that, then they came to the dealer . For the most part it worked out for them financially .

Covid didn’t allow this type of interaction with 765 coupe .

They adjusted with 765 spider . They asked certain dealers to pick a few customers that would spec through zoom calls and see all MSO options . This occurred prior to the public reveal of 765 spider (about 3 months before ). It worked out in most cases with the pre-public reveal of 765 spider . The dealers were supposed to pick the early spec customers who had a history of mso options or who would pick high mso options .

The 750 is going to be the same process . I was explicitly told of what the minimum mso $$$ options that was expected with the early customers that would be done in the same way as 765 spider (ie; very few customers - they probably already know who they are , non disclosures signed , spec’d way before the public reveal ).

I’ve already revealed too much as all of this is supposed to be done under the radar . I’m only writing about it because a couple of others have already blabbered about it . Soon, everyone will get locked down if they haven’t already been .
See less See more
McLaren is slow to learn on most things...particularly when it comes to marketing...but they did learn that zoom calls and in person spec sessions with MSO increase their bottom line quite a bit.

Originally the intent with the 765 spider was to have the first few cars be basic specs to get them off the line and in customers hands and then let a ‘handful’ of people do MSO ‘sessions’ but in reality they allowed a lot more than ‘a handful’ to do mso sessions. Ultimately this was a good idea because the lowest spec’d spider at my dealshership was $450k...going up to $700k. I only know of 3, 765 spiders from my dealer that were under $500k spec. They were so successful in their MSO spec sessions that my local dealer won Top MSO dealer in the world for 2022. So YES...those spec sessions are not only good for McLaren but they are great for clients as well. You can get just about anything you want because McLaren will do almost anything you want...for a price. Way better than Porsche.

Point is...doing the same thing with the 750 makes sense. And they will...Most will be very happy with the 750. But as I’ve said many times before...first year allocations will be very thin. 15-20 per dealer. Short run as well...they’re simply not gonna make a lot of these cars before the full replacement arrives.
I did notice that Scottsdale spiders were heavily MSO spec'd. Jarred seemed a little jealous with the numerous high spec 765 coupes that came from my dealer and it seemed to inspire him :D.

Dealers just have to pick the right customers for the cars...
  • Haha
1 - 20 of 2094 Posts