McLaren Life banner

750S, thoughts on the McLaren 720S replacement

163K views 2K replies 119 participants last post by  VGJ 
#1 ·
Hey Guys... with all this Covid stuff and supply/manufacturing delays etc... i have to imagine the LT may be slightly delayed which could push out the 720 replacement as we still need to see the LT spider...

I am definitely skipping the LT because the thought of a 720 replacement being hybrid is going to be mad performance numbers... cant wait for the new tech!

Anyway, i need to eventually extend my warranty on my 2018 (end of this year i think) so probably going to extend for 2 years depending on the release of the 720 replacement....

are we thinking the 720 replacement deliveries will be in 2023? I am thinking it could even be closer to end of 2023 which would have me keep the 720s for another 3 years...! thats a record for me [emoji41]

Thoughts on: 1- extending warranty and 2- the delivery year for 720 replacement?

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Probably late 2021 or early 2022 announcement.

Sports series hybrid needs to come out first too. I expect sport series announcement either late this year or early next year.
no way. timing too tight. you have about a 2 year lag when LT spider comes out.

Discussion starter · #18 ·
Wasn't the 720 a 2017 car? A 2022 reveal and a late 2022 launch would be a 5 year lifespan for the 720. That would be fine, no?

I assume the 765LT Spider reveal will be in Sept/October of this year.
still need to come out with LT and then LT spider followed by a 1-2 year lag after spider variant before we see deliveries of the 720 replacement.... that cant be sooner than 3 years now

Discussion starter · #22 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I have been one of the ones bypassing LT allocations as I anxiously wait for the replacement Super Series… and whats helped is that outside of the LT versions, nothing on the road really compares on any measurements… inside and out… so the decision to wait hasnt been tough even though this has been the longest I have kept a supercar… delivered brand new in January 2019…

Then i got a call from my buddy at Aston for an allocation of the Valhalla. This is the first car i have seen that blew my mind… looks and performance… so i started to think that i may jump ship sooner than later… The car is mind blowing performance, tech game changer and outside is insanely hypercar look… the negative: its price is 2-3x the price of a 720 and it is an aston which could be an even more depreciation nightmare vs mclaren… its even more of a niche brand…

So very conflicted and i think the negatives, for now, outweigh me making a switch… Still debating. I just HOPE that the replacement Super Series doesn’t disappoint because its been a long wait for me and I actually for the first time found a car that i may (and i mean “may”) like more than my 720…. any sense on timing for the 720 replacement? 2023? 2024?

Discussion starter · #31 ·
thx guys, cant disagree with anything anyone said on this thread!

Discussion starter · #32 ·
If you can take clues from the Artura, im thinking V8 hybrid, probably 900 or so HP, fast, light (relatively speaking to a SF90). 400k base price? No double the 720 replacement will be a killer. We should see the reveal in the spring with deliveries towards the fall of next year as a 23 model.

And frankly Im glad they didnt rush the car and bring it out early. 5 years is a good run for the 720, anything less would have further eroded the resale values of these cars case while the resale of 12c and 650 is crap, 720 has done well in that department.
You think the replacement will be shown that soon? Seems tough with Covid related delays plus they still need to deliver the LT spiders and wait it out a bit…

Reactions: 675T
Discussion starter · #39 ·
I base this on nothing more than just my gut - LT Spiders will be allocated and delivered by Spring 2022. Call it March/April. Soon after they reveal the 720 replacement - which then starts to get delivered in fall of 2022 as a 23 model. 5 years after the 720. Seems like a reasonable time line to me as

Ofcourse I could be completely wrong.
makes sense

Reactions: Michaelj
Discussion starter · #44 ·
My friend owns the DBX SUV. He was skeptical at first, they gave him one as a loaner, but now he raves about it. His wife drives a Bentley Bentayga so he has some perspective. We Test drove one at Pebble and it was very impressive. We also met with Porsche and the head of NA marketing at Pebble and he said SUV's are a major % of their sales, I don't recall the % but is was substantial. The DBX could finance their future.
so we wonder why McLaren wont build an SUV given the clear benefits to do so…. i wonder how long until they pivot… not sure they can do this forever as most SUV lines have been a massive success…
sorry to high jack my own thread [emoji23]

Reactions: Gary Samad and eMcL
Discussion starter · #68 ·
Same. Where are you guys hearing about this?
my dealer told me and we have been posting on the Artura forum and i posted in the 720 forum. i actually attached the email from my dealer. Facelift with the same “electronics” as the Artura. They also said the pandemic hurt corporate and it wasn’t possible to come out with the super series hybrid given the circumstances… they also said this slightly tuned model will just sit right below 765 and may not be out longer than 3 years… so shorter than the normal 5 year cycle. i will probably get the 750 as a interim car but i have been really iching for the hybrid… i am hoping that the 750 prices dont crash with the release of the hybrid replacement as i will be one of the early adopters of the new super series hybrids so will be trading in the 750 asap (or whatever the facelift model will be called) [emoji849][emoji20]

Discussion starter · #79 ·
it makes sense to run the platform for 3 or 4 more years and thats it. The LT is already out there. I agree with my dealer that the 750 will have the coupe and then announce the spider 1 year later so thats 2 years. Then they begin leaking pics and launch the official super series hybrid in year 3 or 4…. likely deliveries in year 4 of the 750 being out there. I guess that would make the new super series hybrid a MY ‘26 or ‘27???

I have to imagine the 750 will hold its value given it will be the latest and greatest and last non hybrid… I hope we see same price reaction as F8 with the release of the 296!!!????

Reactions: alexceres
Discussion starter · #103 ·
I asked a friend of mine who is high up in Mclaren, “what’s up with this 750S?”. She responded, “no comment ;)
tell us more

Discussion starter · #104 ·
anyone hear anything new on the mid cycle refresh of the 720 (aka 750)?

Discussion starter · #150 · (Edited)
First ones q2 2023 i was told … expect it to be significantly more expensive than an Artura (at least 60-75k more before any options)
i heard q4 2023. they have barely delivered any aurturas … my dealer knows but wont say more than what is discussed in this thread:

3-5 year run… definitely NOT 2 year run
750 ( may drop number for name) …
BHP close to 750
facelift/new interior

thats all they said.
….

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist
Discussion starter · #151 · (Edited)
The 750 will likely debut in February/March of 2023...expect deliveries later in the year...September ish. Expect the shorter gearing of the 765 (bank on it.) Artura dash and screen (I.E. gear and suspension knobs same as Artura.) Same interface. Apple car play. Same/similar seats to the 720s. Minor body modifications. 2 year run and can likely order a spider from day 1. Don’t expect ‘that’ many of these to be made...Not numbered but I wouldn’t doubt if there were only 1500-2000 made...maybe less. Expect service included similar to the Artura.

Probably Macs last fully ICE car and I bet it’s gonna be awesome.
i heard 3-5 year run. a 2 year run could pummel values with replacement right around the corner… as much as we want to think that since that is the last of the non hybrids, it will hold value… wont work like that. everyone (almost) will want the latest and greatest including myself …. they need to ride out updated platform for more than 2 years… mac doesnt have cash to pivot so fast… look at the disastrous launch of the artura.

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist
Discussion starter · #153 ·
Your dealer is wrong or just doesn’t know or is just playing coy. 2 years MAX and likely 18 months. Bank on it. Q2 to Q3 deliveries. There will NOT be many of these. 15-20 per dealership in 2023. We can read this again a year from now...

As for the P18...It will be very exclusive. Will not exceed 500...but expect 400 or less. McLaren is not a rich company...and perhaps they’ll need a buyout from BMW or whomever at some point...Porsche did, Ferrari did, Lambo did, Rolls Royce did, heck even GM did. Did it ruin those brands? No.
dont see them only running 18 months nor do i see them delivering the refresh in the next several months - q2 2023 is just 9 months from now… they cant even deliver artura’s. limited or not, they can’t fail at another launch…. your windows are way too tight… lets see.

Discussion starter · #155 ·
It’s a refresh...not a replacement. The dash screen is from an Artura...they’ve been made for over a year now...The engine is the same as before, just more power. No problem there. New Small Aero bits...easy. Same chassis with minor tweaks...easy. 765 transmission...been around for 2 years now...easy. Rear end a bit different but has already been finished...easy. Software was the only issue..:and now that they’ve solved that for the Artura...it’s an easy software update for the 750.

You’re forgetting that Artura’s have been built for over a year now...just waiting for software updates. They have made plenty of them. It’s a 720 refresh...not a major overhaul.

It will be an 18-24 month run for sure and you will see them in 9-12 months on the road. It’s not an opinion. [emoji6]
this will be interesting… if i win, you owe me a virtual drink.

Discussion starter · #177 · (Edited)
that’s weird statement. The artura is in the super series ….
you joking? wont even respond to that. its a hybrid 570 replacement… lets be honest. they just dropped the “sport series” category… Artura is by no means a super series nor is it meant to be…. its a daily sports car meant to compete with a Turbo…. Not even in the same league as a 296.

Discussion starter · #183 · (Edited)
Lolz. “No super series will ever have a v6”
artura ?
”the super series doesn’t exist anymore“
okay guys. Whatever.
re-read my email if you want to quote… I said: “the sports series doesn’t exist anymore”… clearly what i meant was many that drove the car felt it was a replacement for the sport series and step up from the 570. regardless of what marketing you read and believe, its vastly different than any “real” super series car…. active aero is a good example…. gear shifts is another…. less use of aluminum parts like on doors is a another… blah blah blah. oh yah, the moderator probably made a mistake by not putting the Artura in the Superseries section of this forum… the nerve. i would call and complain [emoji854].

I like the artura but lets keep in my mind what its original intent is for… a rideable everyday sports car… the new super series coming will be significantly more costly than artura… its a different class.

the artura fills a specific segment and so will the refresh/replacement 720. they exist and should exist for two different segments of the market… Both great cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.