McLaren Life banner
81 - 100 of 131 Posts
2012 MP4-12C
2,949 Posts
I agree but why make a watered down 765LT? They should at least increase the output to 810/820 if this would be their last ICE engine.
Because a 720 is a watered down 765 and they're just refreshing it? Why would they rate it higher than a Senna?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I agree but why make a watered down 765LT? They should at least increase the output to 810/820 if this would be their last ICE engine.
The 750 is just to keep things fresh until the real replacement .

New 720’s are still in demand but there’s a lot of former owners who are sitting in the wings and trying to hop back in . Some people came back in by buying a 720 spider but many would rather not get the same model they already owned . 750 will be just different enough to get people back in who are on the sidelines or lease about to run out .

Not one person (Mac employee or dealer ) has said that it will exceed 765 in any performance category

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
The 750 is just to keep things fresh until the real replacement .

New 720’s are still in demand but there’s a lot of former owners who are sitting in the wings and trying to hop back in . Some people came back in by buying a 720 spider but many would rather not get the same model they already owned . 750 will be just different enough to get people back in who are on the sidelines or lease about to run out .

Not one person (Mac employee or dealer ) has said that it will exceed 765 in any performance category
It will exceed the 765 in ability to have CarPlay! :D 765 owners will have to console themselves with the built in exhaust sound system! :D

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
It will exceed the 765 in ability to have CarPlay! :D 765 owners will have to console themselves with the built in exhaust sound system! :D
Ha ha . 765 owners by my way are planning on getting the 750 but as an addition rather then a replacement . Lots of buying cars and jockeying for position for future limited edition cars and /or placement in line for other future cars .

·
Registered
2020 720 Spider
582 Posts
The only job right now is to keep the car relevant. Mac got caught off by Covid or whatever excuse pleases you. So they are doing a refresh. It will NOT exceed 765LT performance but expect it to be VERY close...definitely out performing the 296. Similar looking car...some newer aero bits with an updated rear end...100% chance it will have the shorter gearing. Believe what you want...it will have the shorter gearing. Artura dash and screen. Otherwise mostly a 720. It will be hard to get. Allocations for 2023 (as a 2024 model) will be VERY limited. Maybe 50% more than the LT allocations for 2023...which is not a lot. On the roads late summer 2023.

Who is not gonna want the last ICE Mac with similar performance to a 765LT yet as comfortable as a 720s? It will be sold out quickly. Short run, 2 years or less.

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
The only job right now is to keep the car relevant. Mac got caught off by Covid or whatever excuse pleases you. So they are doing a refresh. It will NOT exceed 765LT performance but expect it to be VERY close...definitely out performing the 296. Similar looking car...some newer aero bits with an updated rear end...100% chance it will have the shorter gearing. Believe what you want...it will have the shorter gearing. Artura dash and screen. Otherwise mostly a 720. It will be hard to get. Allocations for 2023 (as a 2024 model) will be VERY limited. Maybe 50% more than the LT allocations for 2023...which is not a lot. On the roads late summer 2023.

Who is not gonna want the last ICE Mac with similar performance to a 765LT yet as comfortable as a 720s? It will be sold out quickly. Short run, 2 years or less.
Sad. why would it be limited? Shouldn’t it be an unlimited production run? I guess they only have so much capacity, but still, it’s the “Honda accord” of the the Mclaren line. Weird if they do not make as much as people put down money for it.

I guess it’s part of the change to be more ferrarI like and limit supply, perhaps?

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Sad. why would it be limited? Shouldn’t it be an unlimited production run? I guess they only have so much capacity, but still, it’s the “Honda accord” of the the Mclaren line. Weird if they do not make as much as people put down money for it.

I guess it’s part of the change to be more ferrarI like and limit supply, perhaps?
it will be an unlimited production run. But their actual production capacity is concerning. Their financials since 2019 don’t suggest there is a lot of room to produce both arturas and this in large quantities. Their order book has been growing faster than their wholesales. They’ve been struggling to hit 2000 cars a year. If half their cars are this, for two years, that’s 2000ish units world wide for the production run. Maybe 2500. North America about half of them. On average 50 per dealer. Split between coupe and spider …. everyone wants a spider. Not everyone gets what they want. And all the heavy hitters are going to bring their P1 allocation games into this.

Why 2 years ? It’s just an interim model before the artura’s big brother the 8xx or 720 mark 2 or whatever you want to call it. 2 years makes that a MY2026 thing. They can’t really afford to push it out too much longer. Maybe the 750 gets 3 years instead. Still pretty short run, and not meaningfully easier for normal folks to get.

no special knowledge, just extrapolating from the 2022 H1 report. take with salt.

·
Registered
2020 720 Spider
582 Posts
Very close...They will not be numbered cars or ‘limited edition’ (as you stated) in the traditional sense. But production overall has been very low at McLaren the last couple years and this car will likely only comprise 20-30% of overall production...not 50%. 18-24 run cycle before the hybrid 6 cylinder replacement arrives. So...there will not be ‘that’ many of them. I think people will be surprised at how few of them their dealer will get in 2023 (as a 2024 model). I’d say most dealers will get less than 20 for next year. Probably a 75/25% split spider/coupe...I’d expect to see the full replacement on the road by 2025.

Getting a P1 is going to be FU hard. Sabre/Solus owners first, Speedtail next, Elva next, Senna and original P1 owners who still own...then ‘very very good clients.’ With so few cars...likely 400 or less. That doesn’t leave many for non Ultimate series owners. Should be an epic car though.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Very close...They will not be numbered cars or ‘limited edition’ (as you stated) in the traditional sense. But production overall has been very low at McLaren the last couple years and this car will likely only comprise 20-30% of overall production...not 50%. 18-24 run cycle before the hybrid 6 cylinder replacement arrives. So...there will not be ‘that’ many of them. I think people will be surprised at how few of them their dealer will get in 2023 (as a 2024 model). I’d say most dealers will get less than 20 for next year. Probably a 75/25% split spider/coupe...I’d expect to see the full replacement on the road by 2025.

Getting a P1 is going to be FU hard. Sabre/Solus owners first, Speedtail next, Elva next, Senna and original P1 owners who still own...then ‘very very good clients.’ With so few cars...likely 400 or less. That doesn’t leave many for non Ultimate series owners. Should be an epic car though.
I agree with everything you’re saying. Mclaren has no reason to limit P1 replacement so hard, though. Let’s say they price the car at $1.499mm base, for arguments sake. Most cars get optioned up to $1.75mm Make 499, minimum. Make 999 ideally. That would be absolutely massive for their top and bottom line. Like selling 5000 720S with much less stress on their production facilities. They’ll still sell every single one.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I agree with everything you’re saying. Mclaren has no reason to limit P1 replacement so hard, though. Let’s say they price the car at $1.499mm base, for arguments sake. Most cars get optioned up to $1.75mm Make 499, minimum. Make 999 ideally. That would be absolutely massive for their top and bottom line. Like selling 5000 720S with much less stress on their production facilities. They’ll still sell every single one.
if they’ll still sell every single one, why not charge a lot more money ? $1.4M is just original msrp inflation adjusted. If they don’t charge closer to speedtail money, I think it’d be a real missed opportunity

·
Premium Member
2021 720S McLaren Orange
279 Posts
It won't be a watered down 765LT. It'll be a hyped up 720S. The 720 is a great track car but a great road car as well. The 750 will be the same. The 765 is a fantastic track car but not as great on the road as the 720. I hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
2020 720 Spider
582 Posts
Exclusivity. If it’s your true ‘halo’ car...then 999 is too many. The price will likely be a lot higher than $1.4m...expect it to be well over $2m after being spec’d. Perhaps a $1.99m base...then add $300-$500k++ for spec’ing it. This won’t be a cheap car. But I’m sure it’ll be mind blowing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Exclusivity. If it’s your true ‘halo’ car...then 999 is too many. The price will likely be a lot higher than $1.4m...expect it to be well over $2m after being spec’d. Perhaps a $1.99m base...then add $300-$500k++ for spec’ing it. This won’t be a cheap car. But I’m sure it’ll be mind blowing.
With all the hypercars coming out the last few years and most of them being 3m+ I would at least expect 2m+ and that is without taxes + options. I feel it will easily be their most expensive road car to date. I think 500 will be the absolute maximum they will make even tho they could easily sell 1000+.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Does exclusivity matter more than survival, though? Mclaren isn’t in the greatest of shape financially. And the end market for demand is so much greater than 10 years ago and has to be 5x greater than 20 years ago. I think cars can still be exclusive at less than 1000 units, numbered, in todays market. Porsche made 918 918s and they’ve held up just fine.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
First ones q2 2023 i was told … expect it to be significantly more expensive than an Artura (at least 60-75k more before any options)
i heard q4 2023. they have barely delivered any aurturas … my dealer knows but wont say more than what is discussed in this thread:

3-5 year run… definitely NOT 2 year run
750 ( may drop number for name) …
BHP close to 750
facelift/new interior

thats all they said.
….

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
The 750 will likely debut in February/March of 2023...expect deliveries later in the year...September ish. Expect the shorter gearing of the 765 (bank on it.) Artura dash and screen (I.E. gear and suspension knobs same as Artura.) Same interface. Apple car play. Same/similar seats to the 720s. Minor body modifications. 2 year run and can likely order a spider from day 1. Don’t expect ‘that’ many of these to be made...Not numbered but I wouldn’t doubt if there were only 1500-2000 made...maybe less. Expect service included similar to the Artura.

Probably Macs last fully ICE car and I bet it’s gonna be awesome.
i heard 3-5 year run. a 2 year run could pummel values with replacement right around the corner… as much as we want to think that since that is the last of the non hybrids, it will hold value… wont work like that. everyone (almost) will want the latest and greatest including myself …. they need to ride out updated platform for more than 2 years… mac doesnt have cash to pivot so fast… look at the disastrous launch of the artura.

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist
81 - 100 of 131 Posts