McLaren Life banner
461 - 480 of 508 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
My dealer said it was Mclaren deciding who gets one for the 765.
dealers submitted customers to mclaren USA . Mclaren USA approved the customers . The bar was low for approving the customer (as long as they weren’t on some banned list or submitted by another dealer ). Ultimately up to dealers who received 765 .

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The only thing I can recall is that it's the only object in the universe that gets heavier when you remove stuff from it. They took the LaFerrari, got rid of all the hybrid stuff and it now weighs more as a result. I am quite sure the car is of some interest to cosmologists - they just need to remove the rest of it and the first artificial black hole would be created!
that is a very fair point. one thought on that having owned a LaFAperta, which felt much much heavier than the P1.
the LaF was announced when Ferrari was a private company and part of Fiat.
the SP3 was launched when Ferrari is a public company listed in the US.
so maybe maybe they have been more careful in weighing the car this time around...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Curious, why would you want a 750 if you already own a 765? I figured that dealers and HQ see this model as a way to partially appease clients who weren’t able to secure a 765. Owning both might be redundant, no?
1. Based on what I am hearing from my dealer and other people, the car will have almost the same performance as a 765. But it will be more “livable” than a 765 so that is a big plus when driving around. The 765 is amazing don’t get me wrong, best car I have owned to date. But sometimes it will be nice to get in a more comfortable car that still has very similar performance to a 765.

2. Miles play a big factor as well. I drive my cars, they are not garage queens. But if I put a bunch of miles on my 765 it will hurt the value tremendously. These are not investments, but it would be nice not to lose my butt $$ wise haha. It would be nice to take out a car that you can enjoy and not have to worry about miles nearly as much.

3. Relationship with dealer and Mclaren corporate. I am getting an Artura as well. And will be getting the spider and LT and whatever other cars they come out with in the future. Mclaren is not what it was 10 years ago. You can’t just walk in to a dealer and order a ultimate series car or LT with little to no buying history with the brand like you could then. If you dont have a well established buying history with Mclaren and a good relationship with your dealer and Mclaren corporate, allocations for future LT and Ultimate series cars will be almost impossible to get.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Low weight is where it's at! I don't see that happening.
A loaded up 765LT with carbon seats and other lightweight options weighs 176lbs less than a 720. If the 750 weight is similar to a 720, then 176lbs is not going to hinder the performance in a 750+ wheel horsepower vehicle that much. Look at a 720 coupe vs the spider, or the 765 coupe vs the spider. Those are 130 pound weight differences if I recall, and the performance of the coupe vs spider is almost identical!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
A loaded up 765LT with carbon seats and other lightweight options weighs 176lbs less than a 720. If the 750 weight is similar to a 720, then 176lbs is not going to hinder the performance in a 750+ wheel horsepower vehicle that much. Look at a 720 coupe vs the spider, or the 765 coupe vs the spider. Those are 130 pound weight differences if I recall, and the performance of the coupe vs spider is almost identical!
have you put the cars on scales or just going by mclarens numbers?

·
Registered
2020 720 Spider
641 Posts
have you put the cars on scales or just going by mclarens numbers?
For reference. First one is a 720s coupe with manual comfort seats. Second is a 765LT Spider with P1 seats. (Both Brooks from draglimes scales.) So McLaren is being optimistic with the 720 vs 765 weight difference IMHO. Maybe 100-110lbs between them in the real world. 50kg.

750 will be the better car for ‘most’ people. But still not an LT. Pista vs F8 type comparison...

Communication Device Telephony Gas Technology Font

Telephony Mobile phone Communication Device Gadget Portable communications device

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
For reference. First one is a 720s coupe with manual comfort seats. Second is a 765LT Spider with P1 seats. (Both Brooks from draglimes scales.) So McLaren is being optimistic with the 720 vs 765 weight difference IMHO. Maybe 100-110lbs between them in the real world. 50kg.

750 will be the better car for ‘most’ people. But still not an LT. Pista vs F8 type comparison...

View attachment 225057
View attachment 225058
thanks, am i reading that right, gross 3163 vs 3158?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
thanks, am i reading that right, gross 3163 vs 3158?
Nevermind just thought it’s 2 coupes … so 75kg 150lbs Spider to Coupé seems realistic as well as the difference between 720s -765LT …

·
Registered
2021 720S McLaren Orange
364 Posts
By lightness I was referring to the Ferraris & other cars mentioned. And to the new cars on the horizon such as the 720/750/765 replacement.

·
Registered
866 Posts
😀Can’t argue with your experience as I don’t own a 765LT.
But for me I am not overly concerned with gas mileage when driving the 720S only do relatively short trips. Anyway will have an Artura for that. So it comes down to the occasional street interactions with Tesla’s - then the lower gear and better traction control and tires might be preferable. On the 765LT interior noise issue that may have something to do with the cabin insulation and motor/transmission mounts - not sure though.
Edit - hopefully no Cyber tires ….
It's the average buyer that would not be happy though. They do want reasonable fuel consumption. Plus it would look bad for the car's stats and emissions.

Again, it's fine in an LT, but not in a series car that can happily be used to cross a continent.

Yes the increased LT noise is to do with all of those things: no insulation, mounts, carbon seats, suspension, tyres, wind. But on the motorway, a very noticeable component is due to not having an overdrive seventh gear. Driving in 6th is intolerable for example, but 7th is tolerable when cruising for hundreds of miles at speed. The 720S is however a very civilised place to be by comparison.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I figured that dealers and HQ see this model as a way to partially appease clients who weren’t able to secure a 765.
I see it as a facelift 720S and nothing more. A way to fill the gap and revitalise 720S sales which might be flagging as the model has been out for many years.

Same thing as Ferrari did with the F8, because 298GTB was not ready. Similarly, the hybrid 720S replacement is not ready.

The facelift 7xxS has nothing to do with the LT range. It's a better 720S.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
IIRC his 765LT Coupe with P1 seats was 3047lbs vs 3158 for the 765LT spider. Both with similar fuel loads and both with P1 seats.

So roughly 50kg is probably the real world difference between a comparable 720s and 765LT.
It’s really a bit of guessing as long as not two with the lightest possible spec are compared on the same scale … remember that for some pricey options you can do a bit more on 765LT than the 720s as some weight saving options are simply not available for the 720s … among them cf panels, Senna seats, various brakes (don’t know if the Senna disks are lighter than 720s ones) etc.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I see it as a facelift 720S and nothing more. A way to fill the gap and revitalise 720S sales which might be flagging as the model has been out for many years.

Same thing as Ferrari did with the F8, because 298GTB was not ready. Similarly, the hybrid 720S replacement is not ready.

The facelift 7xxS has nothing to do with the LT range. It's a better 720S.
a better 720 significantly closes the gap with the 765 with advantages of comfort

·
Registered
866 Posts
IIRC his 765LT Coupe with P1 seats was 3047lbs vs 3158 for the 765LT spider. Both with similar fuel loads and both with P1 seats.

So roughly 50kg is probably the real world difference between a comparable 720s and 765LT.
It's really hard to compare unless the two cars are standard spec. His coupe was pretty much standard, but his spider wasn't. He even had the heavier wheels on it for example.

461 - 480 of 508 Posts