McLaren Life banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I am not sure anything is going to feel much faster. AWD out of the hole would be a change. I was on the highway yesterday and went from very fast to very very fast and it pulled hard...hard. Its incredible. Every car I have ever owned I got used to the speed. This one is taking longer, I may never get used to it. I think the difference is your survival instinct kicks in!
I think your showing some age lol. But after having a kid my threshold dropped significantly. Unless At the track.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes that seems like a step but certainly not a radical change. I drove one at Pebble Beach last year and that back window almost makes it worth it. It lets in the sound.
For me sound is important, hence the spider is my choice. You might want to go NA and then go to a spider after that. As mentioned the 675 is popular but if you love your 720 I doubt you see it as an improvement.

·
Owner
521 Posts
I don't think you can get anything out there that is going to better the 720s (not talking about the 765LT which would be the obvious upgrade). I also switch cars quite often - I am on car # 112 to date. I usually find one that I really, really like, and hang on to it, and then I continue to add on them instead of replacing them.

Ten years ago, I bought a modified 997.1 911 Turbo. This car has been very fun, rewarding and an absolute hoot. It is by no means stock, but it is a monster - with 635awhp/635lbs.tq, and every suspension goodie available. It is a bit slower than the 720s, but very rewarding. I don't think I could replace this car, so I ended up adding another one.

Six years ago, I bought a modified GT-R with a Ronin Stroker 4.2L and AMS alpha 9 package. The car has 840awhp/820lbs.tq, and is fast, brutal and fun. It is a hair faster than the 720s and I also would have had a hard time replacing it, so instead, I kept adding.

I have tried tons of cars after that: ACR Viper, 650s, GT3RS, Superlite, F430...and drove 458, 488, GT2RS...none of those did it. Then I bought the 720s almost 2 years ago and holy balls - I think I would have a hard time parting out with it so maybe this is a car I would keep as well and then begin trying other ones in hopes that I find something that is as rewarding as these three fun cars.

I go through this on my daily drivers, too, but I like to give them a longer try. I just replaced the Jeep SRT with an Audi SQ5 and those things are completely different animals.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I think your showing some age lol. But after having a kid my threshold dropped significantly. Unless At the track.
I don't know as mentioned before I have a replica Cobra, 2600 pounds, 560 HP. No power steering, no antilock brakes, no traction control. I get that going sideways every time out. It is basically a motorcycle as far as safety. I love driving that car a totally different experience, very visceral. It still does not generate the adrenaline that the 720 can get going.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't know as mentioned before I have a replica Cobra, 2600 pounds, 560 HP. No power steering, no antilock brakes, no traction control. I get that going sideways every time out. It is basically a motorcycle as far as safety. I love driving that car a totally different experience, very visceral. It still does not generate the adrenaline that the 720 can get going.

I lol'd at "motorcycle as far as safety" line. I imagine as we head towards the electrical automobiles these types of REAL vehicles will become more popular, or more people will hold onto the older gas powered stuff. It's just more fun. I love that feeling of an automobile wanting to kill me everytime i nail it. Irreplaceable really.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Struggling with the same thoughts. I have a 720s and a moderately modified C7 ZO6. I love both cars and make a choice when heading out in the morning based on how I plan to drive that day. If I will be doing long miles or want to thrash the car I take the ZO6, heavy hard track days it’s the ZO6, mountain driving, tail of the dragon stuff, I take the 720. I always ponder what’s the next step? For me I believe the step above the C8 ZO6, referred to informally as the Zora might well be the next evolution under seven figures. That car will have, I believe, the flat plane crank engine from the upcoming ZO6, plus the electric engine running the front wheels from the recently announces Grand Sport, 4 wheel drive and an estimated 1000 hp. Will it replace my 720, probably not, the 720 is just so special, but it would make for a very good garage mate. Just my thoughts, I’m a retired racer and love track days and mountain road driving. Good discussion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There's really nowhere to go, apart from perhaps the Ferrari SF90, but you don't want electric or hybrid.

I daily drive my 720 Spider. I'm in Detroit too, and with our roads, anything more expensive/delicate seems like comical overkill.

There's nothing I see that I'd move to. Trying to game the depreciation curve - I think when you figure in the transaction friction of switching cars (taxes, etc.) it's less rewarding than it may seem.

The Spider is a different experience than the coupe and our local dealer has been sitting on some. Driving with the back glass down but top up is a joy. Maybe that's your move.

The 720s is very difficult to top. Going to be a tough choice when I get to end of warranty. Definitely a special car.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I think I have reached the ultimate car that I like with the 720S. The italian brands doesn't fancy me at all. they all look the same and 720s tops them all. I daily drive the 991.2 in california and thank God, I didn't get the GT3 or GT2RS. It doesn't compare. I just got a C8 as well(museum delivery) and though it is not a 720s, it has taken the fun drive and kept the miles off the 720s. I bought both new and the 720S will surely be a keeper. The new mclaren coming will be a hybrid. That is another story.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sure, not appealing until you drop 0.5-1 second off the 1/4-mile time. 🤣

But yes, the point is well seen. I tend to agree with the limited cars (765, Performante, Pista), not as much with the "standard" ones (720, evo, 488).
well, one thing is a quicker 0-62mph, but quite another is to spend 12 hours driving Calais to Milan via Germany at >250kph and the old St Gotthard road pass in Switzerland. It's my standard way home and I don't see that in an electric. Not until we have standardized interchangeable battery cells that one can swap on the go.

Last time I went to Brands Hatch a few weeks ago there was a guy with a Tesla 3 the performance version, brand new. he got 30 laps in, (that's about 1/2hr track time) spent the rest of the morning recharging, did one more, shorter, stint in the afternoon and that was it !!
Battery cars are improving but I'll keep my 720 for now...I leave electric supercars for those who just wish to do a few laps around Harrods.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Too bad, last time I was in Europe was last Christmas our wedding anniversary in the Vatican. Drove the Fiat van all through Rome Italy, Monaco, Barcelona and Tuscany. I wish it was a 720S! But I digress.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Too bad, last time I was in Europe was last Christmas our wedding anniversary in the Vatican. Drove the Fiat van all through Rome Italy, Monaco, Barcelona and Tuscany. I wish it was a 720S! But I digress.
Thread jack.
my fiat in Monaco. Pretending to be in a F1 race

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ah yes, one of my favorite roads. Add in the Grimsel/Furka/Susten triangle and you have the perfect day.

Missed out on our trip this year (I live in Texas)...
Susten, Grimsel, Furka is my home-run. From home I can get to the top of Sustenpass in one hour. But be careful with the speed. Belive me... you don't want troubles with the Swiss police.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Susten, Grimsel, Furka is my home-run. From home I can get to the top of Sustenpass in one hour. But be careful with the speed. Belive me... you don't want troubles with the Swiss police.
switzerland is suffocating. speed radars everywhere,like a police state, which it almost is!
like my grand father used to say, whatever is not forbidden is mandatory.....

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I am going into the replacement 720s in 2024.... until then, nothing compares well to it.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts