McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2019 720S early spring and love the car. It still shocks me when I drive it. There is a sweet spot and strategy owning a car like this to minimize depreciation. When I bought the car I understood the depreciation and that's NOT what I want to discuss.

I am just wondering where you can go if your current car is a 720S. What car can you get that is a significant improvement without dropping a multiple of the price.

You can get different but I don't think you can significantly improve upon it. Hybrid cars don't have much appeal at the moment. Full electric less so.

At this moment a car on my radar is a C8 Z06. Something I can drive anywhere and not worry about it. Take it to the track and wail on it. Consumables are more reasonable for the track. This is an add on, I would keep the 720.

·
2012 MP4-12C
795 Posts
i think alot of people are gonna hang onto some of these vehicles (488, 720, 765 Huracan Evo etc.) with all of this electrical crap coming out. Ew. not appealing at all.
Sure, not appealing until you drop 0.5-1 second off the 1/4-mile time. 🤣

But yes, the point is well seen. I tend to agree with the limited cars (765, Performante, Pista), not as much with the "standard" ones (720, evo, 488).

·
Registered
24 Posts
OP, I do something similar as well. Usually swap it out within a year or when it's close to 10k miles and onto something different. Although I only had the 720s for 3 months, for the first time, I feel like I should add something else instead of replace. Like you, I'm not sure what I would replace it with. Only thing that's on my bucket list is either a super clean Aventador SV or a perfect spec SVJ. Price wise, it seems more logically to have 2 fun cars than 1 SV/SVJ. We shall see

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not sure anything is going to feel much faster. AWD out of the hole would be a change. I was on the highway yesterday and went from very fast to very very fast and it pulled hard...hard. Its incredible. Every car I have ever owned I got used to the speed. This one is taking longer, I may never get used to it. I think the difference is your survival instinct kicks in!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I am not sure anything is going to feel much faster. AWD out of the hole would be a change. I was on the highway yesterday and went from very fast to very very fast and it pulled hard...hard. Its incredible. Every car I have ever owned I got used to the speed. This one is taking longer, I may never get used to it. I think the difference is your survival instinct kicks in!
I've had 720s for three years. It is the G.O.A.T. below hypercars.

pista and f8 would be going sideways with 720s and not ahead. No warranty when tracking, just as expensive or more to track then 720s in OEM form. ferrari dealers discourage tracking their street cars.(always pushing the challenge cars on people).

I haven't met anyone who likes GT2RS on track and it doesn't pull as hard as 720s. It's sort of between a 650 and 720s in speed.

I bought 600 LT in between. It's just not the same on track. Only use it when 720s isn't available (consumable, track inspection, non planned track day OR when I can't meet the decibel limit of Laguna seca and don't want to manipulate the throttle with 720s).

fwiw; the consumable part of things... supercar 3 r tires and the giro/cobalt/endless pad set up makes it very reasonable. there is many more people with Mac's (600 LT/720s) tracking now. there is a ready made market to sell the giro rotors/pads to someone else (I sold mine for $3K and brand new they are $4K) to another forum member. This is the first time that I have ever sold something like this. In the past there wasn't a ready made market for this.

Reactions: taw6189

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had 720s for three years. It is the G.O.A.T. below hypercars.

pista and f8 would be going sideways with 720s and not ahead. No warranty when tracking, just as expensive or more to track then 720s in OEM form. ferrari dealers discourage tracking their street cars.(always pushing the challenge cars on people).

I haven't met anyone who likes GT2RS on track and it doesn't pull as hard as 720s. It's sort of between a 650 and 720s in speed.

I bought 600 LT in between. It's just not the same on track. Only use it when 720s isn't available (consumable, track inspection, non planned track day OR when I can't meet the decibel limit of Laguna seca and don't want to manipulate the throttle with 720s).

fwiw; the consumable part of things... supercar 3 r tires and the giro/cobalt/endless pad set up makes it very reasonable. there is many more people with Mac's (600 LT/720s) tracking now. there is a ready made market to sell the giro rotors/pads to someone else (I sold mine for $3K and brand new they are $4K) to another forum member. This is the first time that I have ever sold something like this. In the past there wasn't a ready made market for this.
I have mentioned before I tracked a C7 Z06 and I felt like I was just beating the car to death. I am not sure I want to track the 700S. I figure a C8 Z06 I can beat to death and if something happens it is less of a deal.

I thought the GT2RS was great on the track and not so great on the street?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I have mentioned before I tracked a C7 Z06 and I felt like I was just beating the car to death. I am not sure I want to track the 700S. I figure a C8 Z06 I can beat to death and if something happens it is less of a deal.

I thought the GT2RS was great on the track and not so great on the street?
You're missing out not tracking 720s. It just flies by everyone/everything. a lot of 720s are getting flogged around a track these days.

I haven't met ANYONE who likes gt2rs on track (about 5 people whom I know that were very fast with gt3rs and bought gt2rs with high expectations. they came, they tried and sold fairly quickly and went back to gt3rs or other cars). Motortrend/randy pobst timed 1:28 and change with it at Laguna seca with the cheater tires. He did 1:33 without the cheater tires at our hypercar track day.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Assuming there is not a replacement for the 720s (which there will likely be) - not talking about the 765.

I would likely go back to Lamborghini once I am tired of my 2019 720s. (or I am out of warranty and it is killing me on repairs). The last 3 Lambos have been bullet proof. I would do whatever the new version of the evo is in 2-3 years if I were to trade and the 720s replacement was not something I was interested in.

I would say ferrari, but the last few I have had from new were highly problematic both in and out of warranty, so I think I am done with Ferrari until they prove themselves otherwise.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nothing in the same price range, or even twice the price that I would rather have than my 720s. If I were buying right now, I would go for the 765LT, but I see it as only incrementally better, though I love the multi-color Alcantara interior options. As a second toy, I would like something in the Aventador family, but not to replace the Mac.

·
2012 MP4-12C
795 Posts
Nothing in the same price range, or even twice the price that I would rather have than my 720s. If I were buying right now, I would go for the 765LT, but I see it as only incrementally better, though I love the multi-color Alcantara interior options. As a second toy, I would like something in the Aventador family, but not to replace the Mac.
The Huracan 580-2 is a great car with a far more modern transmission than the Aventador (and marginally improved mileage! lol). A very different experience than the McLarens. It makes you feel like a 12-year-old each time you drive it, and it takes itself far less seriously. Not my personal choice for canyon carving, but definitely equal or better for a cruise along a coast, especially in Spyder form. I picked one up and, while I am certainly at the upper limits for fitting in the car (I am 6'3" and the Spyder interior is tiny!) it is a hoot to drive!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts