McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Why Goodyear? Not the stock trofeos or corsa?
The Goodyear Supercar 3R are faster than the OEM MC spec trofeo and corsa in this case.
More importantly, cheaper and more consistent.

Laptime comparison and data analysis of a 720S vs 600LT, both on GoodYear Supercar 3R tires.

They are very close in times:

Great video! Data analysis breakdown is very helpful.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Why Goodyear? Not the stock trofeos or corsa?
What he said ^^^^^

Just about all of us driving 600 Lt/720s in California (there is a lot of us), are using the giro/goodyear set up. Performance is similar and the costs are reduced greatly.

I would've given up tracking 720s and never bought 600 LT (it was just way too expensive in OEM form) if it wasn't for this set up.

·
Registered
379 Posts
What he said ^^^^^

Just about all of us driving 600 Lt/720s in California (there is a lot of us), are using the giro/goodyear set up. Performance is similar and the costs are reduced greatly.

I would've given up tracking 720s and never bought 600 LT (it was just way too expensive in OEM form) if it wasn't for this set up.
So there aren't any detrimental effects on the suspension if we use non manufacturer recommended tires? Do you personally use Goodyears on your 720/600lt sir? And if so do you recommend it for street use as well (does it perform as good in the rain and snow?)

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Its amazing how little influence 120hp+the better suspension have on optimized lap times ... hope the other McLaren car comparisons come soon

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
So there aren't any detrimental effects on the suspension if we use non manufacturer recommended tires? Do you personally use Goodyears on your 720/600lt sir? And if so do you recommend it for street use as well (does it perform as good in the rain and snow?)
I do use goodyear 3r's on 720s/600 LT. I have been using them for two years. The ESC is calibrated with the tire choice in the car menu. I just have it set to trofeo.

You are not the experiment if you go to this set up. There are many, many, many Mac owners who track that use this set up. Some have separate set of wheels and will use the goodyear 3r for tracking and the other tires for street driving (more to save the tires for their intended use then anything else).

i cannot comment about snow and rain. it wouldn't be any different then any other type of R compound.

None of us who are using goodyear 3r have any skin in the game of whether people use them or not. It's just passing along information that many of us know and use.

fwiw; I get a decent amount of private messages on the forums... almost all of them relate to tires/brakes for track use.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
The ESC is calibrated with the tire choice in the car menu.
Have you clear evidence for this ? I was told exactly the same by several ppl from my dealer and McLaren but ppl here insist its not like the and the settings are only for the odometer ...

Reactions: taw6189

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Have you clear evidence for this ? I was told exactly the same by several ppl from my dealer and McLaren but ppl here insist its not like the and the settings are only for the odometer ...
from the mclaren engineer directly through Instagram when I was going to put on trofeos on 720s when they weren’t an approved tire .

I has posted that dm somewhere on here a couple of years ago .

I’m fortunate that I get direct feedback from mclaren techs and engineers

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
from the mclaren engineer directly through Instagram when I was going to put on trofeos on 720s when they weren’t an approved tire .

I has posted that dm somewhere on here a couple of years ago .

I’m fortunate that I get direct feedback from mclaren techs and engineers

Thank you, finally someone confirming what I was told all the time by my service ppl here ...

Reactions: unmac

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
i imagine the fact the 600LT is around 200kg lighter helps
Dunno where you got this number, but it is wrong.

720s DIN kerb is 1419kg and lightest possible spec is 1283kg - Din kerb is the base spec while most 720s are much lighter as they are ordered with several lightweight options (seats/ wheels/ performance spec / track pack etc)
600LT DIN kerb is 1356kg and lightest possible is 1247kg - 600LT dry difference lightest to standard is only 14kg (1261kg) as there are nearly no lightweight options you could additionally order with the LT besides Senna seats and some cf parts

·
Registered
379 Posts
I do use goodyear 3r's on 720s/600 LT. I have been using them for two years. The ESC is calibrated with the tire choice in the car menu. I just have it set to trofeo.

You are not the experiment if you go to this set up. There are many, many, many Mac owners who track that use this set up. Some have separate set of wheels and will use the goodyear 3r for tracking and the other tires for street driving (more to save the tires for their intended use then anything else).

i cannot comment about snow and rain. it wouldn't be any different then any other type of R compound.

None of us who are using goodyear 3r have any skin in the game of whether people use them or not. It's just passing along information that many of us know and use.

fwiw; I get a decent amount of private messages on the forums... almost all of them relate to tires/brakes for track use.

·
Registered
MY2019 720s
51 Posts
Dunno where you got this number, but it is wrong.

720s DIN kerb is 1419kg and lightest possible spec is 1283kg - Din kerb is the base spec while most 720s are much lighter as they are ordered with several lightweight options (seats/ wheels/ performance spec / track pack etc)
600LT DIN kerb is 1356kg and lightest possible is 1247kg - 600LT dry difference lightest to standard is only 14kg (1261kg) as there are nearly no lightweight options you could additionally order with the LT besides Senna seats and some cf parts
My bad, I was just being lazy and using a Google search to get the numbers. That says the 720s is 1419kg - 1468kg and the 600LT is 1247kg - 1297kg

But if your figures are accurate you’ve made me and many other 720s owners happy, I thought I was giving up a lot more weight than that with all the additional refinement and tech, but according to your figures the base din weight is only just over 63kg difference, and then you say a 720s is likely to be specced a lot lighter than the din number, compared to the 600lt, so the difference is likely to be even less! Fantastic!

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
My bad, I was just being lazy and using a Google search to get the numbers. That says the 720s is 1419kg - 1468kg and the 600LT is 1247kg - 1297kg

But if your figures are accurate you’ve made me and many other 720s owners happy, I thought I was giving up a lot more weight than that with all the additional refinement and tech, but according to your figures the base din weight is only just over 63kg difference, and then you say a 720s is likely to be specced a lot lighter than the din number, compared to the 600lt, so the difference is likely to be even less! Fantastic!
There are mainly only 3 things on the 720s that are heavier - doors, active wing and active suspension - cf tub, gear box and engine are the same weight since they are near identical parts - there is not much room for the 600LT to be that much lighter than the 720s - especially since the 720s is already weight optimized ... the 80kg that the 765LT is lighter vs a standard spec 720s are mostly the seats, ultra light wheels with TR and some cf body parts ... for a 720s with all lightweight options that number again will be much smaller

·
Registered
MY2019 720s
51 Posts
Does bring in to question why compromise for so little weight difference? My 720 is perfect for me, I’m also lucky enough to own a Lotus Exige and a Fireblade engined Westfield, so really do appreciated what light weight does for the driving dynamics and engagement, that is massively important to me. I went for a 720s as I have that base covered with those two cars, but I’ve found the drive of the 720s very engaging, so much fun. I was expecting more of a sporty GT experience, but it’s not, well it can be if you stick everything in comfort, but in Sport or Track it’s as engaging as the Lotus and gives so much feedback.

So if the weight difference is so little, and therefore any driver engagement associated with weight, what are the benefits of the 600LT over a 720s? I appreciate there will be differences but they will be so marginal, based on the numbers above. So are they worth sacrificing the creature comforts and benefits associated with the additional power, the improved interior, active suspension and aero etc?

Don’t get me wrong, I love the 600LT and would have loved one as a garage mate for the 720s, I’m just confused about those numbers as they suggest little gain?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Does bring in to question why compromise for so little weight difference? My 720 is perfect for me, I’m also lucky enough to own a Lotus Exige and a Fireblade engined Westfield, so really do appreciated what light weight does for the driving dynamics and engagement, that is massively important to me. I went for a 720s as I have that base covered with those two cars, but I’ve found the drive of the 720s very engaging, so much fun. I was expecting more of a sporty GT experience, but it’s not, well it can be if you stick everything in comfort, but in Sport or Track it’s as engaging as the Lotus and gives so much feedback.

So if the weight difference is so little, and therefore any driver engagement associated with weight, what are the benefits of the 600LT over a 720s? I appreciate there will be differences but they will be so marginal, based on the numbers above. So are they worth sacrificing the creature comforts and benefits associated with the additional power, the improved interior, active suspension and aero etc?

Don’t get me wrong, I love the 600LT and would have loved one as a garage mate for the 720s, I’m just confused about those numbers as they suggest little gain?
well that’s a bit of the trouble in McLarens line up... a newer LT Model (600LT came after 720s) is nearly as fast as the Series above it ... the thing is more that the LT is more track and weekend car focused vs the 720s which is more about daily drives and longer tours - still very powerful on the track ... it’s a bit similar to Porsche with their 30+ variants of the 991

for me I have no problem to see the difference and see it like this:

570s < 600LT/R < 675LT < 720s < 765LT/MSO 688HS < Senna < p1

·
Registered
MY2019 720s
51 Posts
That’s the thing though, as you say, the 600LT is the hardcore track focused model, yet the 720s is more capable on track?? Surely it’s expected that it should be closer if not better than the model above at doing what it is designed to do? So as well as being quicker on track than the track focused Sports series, it then goes on to offer lots of other benefits too? Suppose it depends which way you look at it. Ultimately, the whole McLaren range is very driver focused therefore all are very capable on track, then they’re also easy to use on a daily basis on the road. There is so much overlap between models and really not vast amounts of difference. So how do you decide which best suits you?

It’s interesting, I hadn’t thought of it like this before.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
That’s the thing though, as you say, the 600LT is the hardcore track focused model, yet the 720s is more capable on track?? Surely it’s expected that it should be closer if not better than the model above at doing what it is designed to do? So as well as being quicker on track than the track focused Sports series, it then goes on to offer lots of other benefits too? Suppose it depends which way you look at it. Ultimately, the whole McLaren range is very driver focused therefore all are very capable on track, then they’re also easy to use on a daily basis on the road. There is so much overlap between models and really not vast amounts of difference. So how do you decide which best suits you?

It’s interesting, I hadn’t thought of it like this before.
well since they are all 2 seater mid engine V8TTs there is some overlap ... maybe that changes now with the Artura if they decide to keep the V8TT (+hybrid) for the Super and Ultimate Series and have the V6TTH for the GT and Sports Series

1 - 20 of 86 Posts