McLaren Life banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, recently bought a 720s and was very disappointed by the regular sound system. I also read that people were very disappointed or unpleased with the B&W system as well. I probably wouldn’t have done this if I had the B&W speakers because if your unhappy with it in order to upgrade that system you would need an external amp, subwoofer etc. Since I just had the base system I decided to upgrade just the speakers in the doors. I bought a pair of JBL GTO620. They are way better than the stock speakers and since they are a 2 way design I’m very tempted to just unplug the tweeters in the dash as the tweeters in the JBL speakers are way louder, clearer and crisper.

I’m mostly making this post to let everyone know that any 6.5” speakers fit as a replacement of the regular audio system. However, there is a very big quirk in the stock speakers. The stock McLaren speaker is a dual voice coil speaker and all aftermarket speakers (unless it’s a subwoofer) are a single voice coil. So in order to make an aftermarket speaker work you must put a “jumper” (a wire connecting 2 terminals together) between the two positive terminals and only connect once negative terminal.

Picture 1 is the back of the stock McLaren speaker.

Picture 2 is how I connected the JBL speaker.

If you have any questions let me know. I also posted a thread on how to remove the door panel. It’s very easy!

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
I like the sound quality of the upgraded system, but this could also be improved with better speakers. Great idea!

·
Registered
McLaren 720S spider, 2020. Spark.
315 Posts
Could you please describe in what way you consider these JBLs as better?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Better bass, better mids, better highs. These speakers handle more power so they don’t distort when turned up loud. The McLaren speakers had really poor bass and highs. It was just a bunch of mid range sound. Also when you turn it up the McLaren speakers crapped out

·
Registered
815 Posts
The B&W system is pretty good overall once configured right, and excellent among supercar offerings. I'm sure some Focal drivers would make it even better but they would necessitate a lot of reworking of crossovers and EQ.

My 2020 AMG S63 Coupe has the high end Burmester system which is considerably better, but it was also more expensive and no doubt much heavier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts