McLaren Life banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
@tb993tt You really need to kick down the pedal and overcome the little resistance at the end of the pedal stroke, to bring those shift lights into life.
Bingo, got the shift lights working, active on, performance to track mode, manual button on and as you say you have push past the "kick down" resistance on the throttle (if you don't the lights don't come on !)

That is a lot of fun, those lights flashing up with a "bing" noise as the limit are mega.... this car just gets better :cool:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yes the shift lights were a pleasant surprise when I discovered them the first time roll racing. I didn't remember reading about them anywhere when I was doing my research before I bought my car. It reminded me of the shift lights on my 458 steering wheel. Nice added bonus!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Interestingly: the same guy (Christian Gebhardt) was quite reserved/almost negative about the 720s in the Supertest in the same magazine last year February!

In the caption under the lap overview, after setting a time of 7:08 at the Ring he said: "Mit seiner eher moderaten Fahrwerksauslegung ist der 720 kein ausgewiesenes Tracktool, sodern ein guter Kompromis für Sport und Alltag." Short English version: this car is not very suitable for track use....

Now, at Hockenheim, it is "[the 720s] zählt auf der Rennstrecke auch su den derzeit schnellsten Sportwagen" or: "[the 720s is at the moment one of the fastest sportscars on the race track"! And he is enthousiastic about the Trofeo tires.

I can't bridge these two almost extremes with the whole story about the tires and the wheel alignment. He must have had a bad 720s at the Ring or the rumours are true and he simply wasn't allowed to have the Mclaren top the two 911 (GT2 RS and GT3 RS) in terms of laptime at the Ring. As someone answered to my question "how can the 720s not beat the 911 at the Ring in this test", the answer: "It is a German magazine"

Anyway, I guess its a good thing that Christian got converted to being a 720s fan :LOL:

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Interestingly: the same guy (Christian Gebhardt) was quite reserved/almost negative about the 720s in the Supertest in the same magazine last year February!

In the caption under the lap overview, after setting a time of 7:08 at the Ring he said: "Mit seiner eher moderaten Fahrwerksauslegung ist der 720 kein ausgewiesenes Tracktool, sodern ein guter Kompromis für Sport und Alltag." Short English version: this car is not very suitable for track use....

Now, at Hockenheim, it is "[the 720s] zählt auf der Rennstrecke auch su den derzeit schnellsten Sportwagen" or: "[the 720s is at the moment one of the fastest sportscars on the race track"! And he is enthousiastic about the Trofeo tires.

I can't bridge these two almost extremes with the whole story about the tires and the wheel alignment. He must have had a bad 720s at the Ring or the rumours are true and he simply wasn't allowed to have the Mclaren top the two 911 (GT2 RS and GT3 RS) in terms of laptime at the Ring. As someone answered to my question "how can the 720s not beat the 911 at the Ring in this test", the answer: "It is a German magazine"

Anyway, I guess its a good thing that Christian got converted to being a 720s fan :LOL:
In his private IG he is a fan of the 720s ... the Porsche MUST NOT BE BEATEN on the Ring thing is certainly a possibility ...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hehe... now we have spread that rumour even further!

The 911 GT2 and GT3 are amazing cars as well of course. They are capable of extremely fast track times and achieve that with a very engaging drive.

But neither of those cars has the usability and comfort that the 720s offers on the road.
That is what realy sets the 720s apart from all other supercars out there: it sets record breaking laptimes on track AND offers an amazingly good daily drive.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hehe... now we have spread that rumour even further!

The 911 GT2 and GT3 are amazing cars as well of course. They are capable of extremely fast track times and achieve that with a very engaging drive.

But neither of those cars has the usability and comfort that the 720s offers on the road.
That is what realy sets the 720s apart from all other supercars out there: it sets record breaking laptimes on track AND offers an amazingly good daily drive.
I agree. I currently own a 991.2 GT3RS, but I just don't see how it's possible the 720S wouldn't be faster with similar tires. As great as the RS is, it just doesn't have the low end TQ or the HP and is similar in weight, maybe slightly heavier than the 720S. It should be no contest for the 720S to beat it on the ring.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts