McLaren Life banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
I don't disagree at all. A Ring time would be nice...but in the grand scheme of things, I don't care very much because IMHO the rings times are heavily massaged. Who really knows what games are being played when factory efforts are involved. Like Ferrari ringers in magazine tests. Porsche and Lambo Ring times are suspect to me. To each their own. Even the Laguna Seca lap for the Viper ACR-E was insane compared to what Randy P was able to do in a 'normal' test. I think a Ring test would be too costly and not enough benefit for McLaren. I also think most people know the Senna is the fastest street car available on just about any track. The 765LT is gonna be a BEAST on track.

Nonetheless...Corvette and Porsche have ALWAYS put their most track capable tire on their top of the line cars. ZR-1 with Cup 2's. Z06/Z07 Package with Cup 2's. GT2 and GT3RS with Cup 2R's. It's been this way for a while...and I can't see it changing. The fact is, cars are MUCH faster than they've ever been...which is likely the bigger issue at play here. Too fast for most people...You can get into trouble very quickly. Having said that...for car lovers, we live in great times. Enjoy it...
Yes. Imagine the fast wear / poor weather conditions - 720s Pista etc who don't check tire pressures let alone wear.
Recently logged some miles on the Senna - if someone wants to something faster strongly suggest they take out life insurance.
Ring times are suspect but so is any racing - whatever the cost I think the factories building at this level should be there.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Even the article mentions the tested car (which was a different one than the blue with black cf hood they always used before) performed way worse than the first 720S they had ... no idea why this is now again ... but feels like they still sandbag to safe 765LT sales ...

Just to compare:

car 1 from 2018/19 had 7,6s to 200kmh and they also mention all other measurements like braking on this one are worse than on the first car ...
makes one wonder if the early cars were quicker than the later ones. Can’t be....

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
makes one wonder if the early cars were quicker than the later ones. Can’t be....
well several things could cause this:

car 1 had a better engine within normal specification or even a really good selected one ... while car 2 is stock average or even has a bad one ...

car 1 was a test car that was driven a lot by many magazines, could entirely be possible the engine was rebuild one or more times gaining strength

car 2 is maybe a totally new one without adequate brake in times ...

All this would already explain the differences without even suggesting other things ... in the end the weaker car is still faster on track than every other production sports car ever tested (LE Senna excluded) and that was the point to make ... would the other car with right alignment and new tires still be faster? I guess so but maybe they would not want to have it so close to the Senna that the 765LT is no more looking better ...

·
Registered
355 Posts
No, this is not a new feature. My old 2018 and also my new 2019 do that. Either you should push your car harder or probably it is related to the "shift cue" function?
So I tried it in active mode handling in track mode performance in track mode, binnacle in flat track mode, revved the nuts off it, no shift light bars !?
How do I get to see those light bars ?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So I tried it in active mode handling in track mode performance in track mode, binnacle in flat track mode, revved the nuts off it, no shift light bars !?
How do I get to see those light bars ?
Did you set it to manual shifting (lower of the selectors middle button) ?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Nope.... that would be the problem :)
That's not the problem. The purpose of the shift lights (and when they appear) is to tell you when you are about to hit the limiter under heavy acceleration and that you need to upshift a gear. This can only be done when the car is actually moving and not in neutral in a parking lot.

12c/650/675 the part which shows what gear you are in will change colors from orange to red when you are about to hit the rev limiter.

oddly enough; the peripheral vision catches it in 12c/650/675 but not really in 720s.

·
Registered
355 Posts
That's not the problem. The purpose of the shift lights (and when they appear) is to tell you when you are about to hit the limiter under heavy acceleration and that you need to upshift a gear. This can only be done when the car is actually moving and not in neutral in a parking lot.

12c/650/675 the part which shows what gear you are in will change colors from orange to red when you are about to hit the rev limiter.

oddly enough; the peripheral vision catches it in 12c/650/675 but not really in 720s.
I wasn't revving it in neutral, I was driving it !

Actually that leads me to another question, if I do try and rev mine in neutral it only goes up to 4K rpm or so, is that normal ?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

Actually that leads me to another question, if I do try and rev mine in neutral it only goes up to 4K rpm or so, is that normal ?
if you have updated software that is normal ... Mclaren obviously wants to avoid you getting into arguments with your neighbors 🤣... and if it’s a 600LT they don’t seem to support the idea to use the the exhaust to grill hotdogs or marshmallows or sth. Else ...

·
Registered
788 Posts

I haven't tried it but generally the RPM range opens up as the engine gets warm. (cars usually have this safety feature to prevent over-revving on cold engines).

fwiw; the shift cue sound and shift lights will come on even if one is driving in auto (I drive 600 LT in auto on track ) so I'm surprised if the shift lights don't come on even when in auto mode in 720s (I drive 720s in manual).

·
Registered
355 Posts
if you have updated software that is normal ... Mclaren obviously wants to avoid you getting into arguments with your neighbors 🤣... and if it’s a 600LT they don’t seem to support the idea to use the the exhaust to grill hotdogs or marshmallows or sth. Else ...
(y)

·
Registered
355 Posts
I haven't tried it but generally the RPM range opens up as the engine gets warm. (cars usually have this safety feature to prevent over-revving on cold engines).

fwiw; the shift cue sound and shift lights will come on even if one is driving in auto (I drive 600 LT in auto on track ) so I'm surprised if the shift lights don't come on even when in auto mode in 720s (I drive 720s in manual).
The "in neutral" rev range doesn't open up when warm, engine temp doesn't make any difference.

The shift lights did not come on in auto, this is what I was posting about.... I will try in manual as Chris suggests.

·
Registered
788 Posts
The "in neutral" rev range doesn't open up when warm, engine temp doesn't make any difference.

The shift lights did not come on in auto, this is what I was posting about.... I will try in manual as Chris suggests.
hmmm. So if you drive around the car and it gets warm and then you put it in neutral and it will still close the rev range to 4K? I'll have to check this out.

·
Registered
355 Posts
hmmm. So if you drive around the car and it gets warm and then you put it in neutral and it will still close the rev range to 4K? I'll have to check this out.
Yeah, it limits the revs like when you put it in launch and flatten the throttle its as if that launch rev restriction is in place all the time in neutral its no big deal but a bit disappointing for some onlookers if one pulls up at the lights and they ask you to rev it up for them :D

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I remember reading sth. About a software update that introduced this some months ago ... first was only for the 600LT to prevent ppl from setting the car on fire but if I remember correctly it’s now also for the other cars

·
Registered
788 Posts
I remember reading sth. About a software update that introduced this some months ago ... first was only for the 600LT to prevent ppl from setting the car on fire but if I remember correctly it’s now also for the other cars
mines in for a track inspection and they did say that it needed a couple of software updates . I’ll ask them about it when I get the car back

·
Registered
13 Posts
@tb993tt You really need to kick down the pedal and overcome the little resistance at the end of the pedal stroke, to bring those shift lights into life.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes. Imagine the fast wear / poor weather conditions - 720s Pista etc who don't check tire pressures let alone wear.
Recently logged some miles on the Senna - if someone wants to something faster strongly suggest they take out life insurance.
Ring times are suspect but so is any racing - whatever the cost I think the factories building at this level should be there.
I've done two track days last autumn with relatively cold and partially wet conditions using both the Trofeo and the Corsa. I think it is outright dangerous to use the Trofeo outside the controlled environment of a track and at least a little bit experienced/educated driver... The Trofeo (and most other modern semi-slicks) have very little grip if they have no heat in them.

I'm racing a fair bit on track (although not in my 720s ;)) but I won't claim I'm a pro driver. I was very pleased when we switched back to the P Zero Corsa, this at least allowed some pushing without continuously being scared about finding grip!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I've done two track days last autumn with relatively cold and partially wet conditions using both the Trofeo and the Corsa. I think it is outright dangerous to use the Trofeo outside the controlled environment of a track and at least a little bit experienced/educated driver... The Trofeo (and most other modern semi-slicks) have very little grip if they have no heat in them.

I'm racing a fair bit on track (although not in my 720s ;)) but I won't claim I'm a pro driver. I was very pleased when we switched back to the P Zero Corsa, this at least allowed some pushing without continuously being scared about finding grip!
That’s why most dealers I know say ppl who insist on them on a car for road use are just stupid ... well they still get them if they ask for Bc you know: „it’s faster“ ...

21 - 40 of 47 Posts