McLaren Life banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts
2012 MP4-12C
2,728 Posts
OP are you not seeing the flashing light on the dash, this indicates a misfire, as stated you have a safety on, so the throttle is closing.
When the spark on mine was getting blown out I very rarely saw a flashing CEL. You could hear and feel it break up, but that's it. I put new plugs in with a tighter gap, problem solved.
sounds good. Definitely need the other items done as well.
Check your PM's, I sent one last night.

·
Registered
McLaren 12c 2012
903 Posts
have your plugs out and regap them, although i am a little sceptical of this because someone I know is running over 1000 BHP on stock gaps with no problems, apparently.

2012 MP4-12C
2,728 Posts
have your plugs out and regap them, although i am a little sceptical of this because someone I know is running over 1000 BHP on stock gaps with no problems, apparently.
Seen it multiple times. I'm more apt to think the 1,000 HP car isn't making 1,000 HP.

·
Registered
McLaren 12c 2012
903 Posts
Hes a tuner and has a dyno. thats what hes saying... the car is actually around 1200 horsepower, turbos, tuning etc, meth etc.

2012 MP4-12C
2,728 Posts
Hes a tuner and has a dyno. thats what hes saying... the car is actually around 1200 horsepower, turbos, tuning etc, meth etc.
All I can tell you for sure is I had the experience and changed to tighter gap and fixed it. I've also solved it in other cars doing it.

·
Registered
'15 650S Coupe, Aurora Blue
340 Posts
All I can tell you for sure is I had the experience and changed to tighter gap and fixed it. I've also solved it in other cars doing it.
Shortening a gap is usually the fix for a "weak" spark.... That is not necessarily the plugs' fault.... And why I was asking about better coils... In my TT RX7, it used a special 4-electrode plug that you CANNOT "re-gap"... As I increased boost level for that stock engine, it had blowout, I fixed it by upgrading the coils!! ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Shortening a gap is usually the fix for a "weak" spark.... That is not necessarily the plugs' fault.... And why I was asking about better coils... In my TT RX7, it used a special 4-electrode plug that you CANNOT "re-gap"... As I increased boost level for that stock engine, it had blowout, I fixed it by upgrading the coils!! ;)
I looked around and don’t think there are any upgraded coils available.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
yes that may be the case but that isn’t every car. Just because some cars are ok doesn’t mean they all are. And I would trust mcmedics as he has resolved this issue many times.

·
Registered
340 Posts
yes that may be the case but that isn’t every car. Just because some cars are ok doesn’t mean they all are. And I would trust mcmedics as he has resolved this issue many times.
Not arguing that it is not a "fix", just stating that a coil with a better performance envelope is a better fix as the plug gap will continue to widen with mileage.... Then ya gotta do it all over again....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Not arguing that it is not a "fix", just stating that a coil with a better performance envelope is a better fix as the plug gap will continue to widen with mileage.... Then ya gotta do it all over again....
With mileage? Long before that happens the plugs will be way beyond their lifespan. Thats why its recommended to change plugs if over 10K miles. I guarantee I will NEVER have to change plugs again. You think people are daily driving mclarens. lol But please post a link of upgraded coil packs made for these cars.

·
Registered
340 Posts
With mileage? Long before that happens the plugs will be way beyond their lifespan. Thats why its recommended to change plugs if over 10K miles. I guarantee I will NEVER have to change plugs again. You think people are daily driving mclarens. lol But please post a link of upgraded coil packs made for these cars.
There are a lot of folks that daily their McLarens and have enough mileage to warrant replacement plugs for optimum performance. Especially if they have been gapped down and "require" that narrow gap to function under said "pressure". Plus, it doesn't take as much mileage as you think when operating in the environment & under the extremes we are talking about....

I don't have a link to better coils and is why I broached the subject.... ;-)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
There are a lot of folks that daily their McLarens and have enough mileage to warrant replacement plugs for optimum performance. Especially if they have been gapped down and "require" that narrow gap to function under said "pressure". Plus, it doesn't take as much mileage as you think when operating in the environment & under the extremes we are talking about....

I don't have a link to better coils and is why I broached the subject.... ;-)
what research did you do to come that that conclusion? It does take a lot of miles. Dont know a single guy that daily drives their supercar. And I know one guy that has over 1000 60-130 pulls on the same plugs and another guy with over 3000 60-130 pulls. Both did not change plugs. So like I said, I will never need to replace plugs again. And why are you talking about coils that don’t exist? But hey you know better than M Engineering and a mclaren mechanic.

2012 MP4-12C
2,728 Posts
I went to smaller gap plugs around 30k miles, 46k miles now on the same plugs with no issue and plugs look new still. If you need to replace them every 10k miles, something is wrong.

Reactions: batcheej

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I went to smaller gap plugs around 30k miles, 46k miles now on the same plugs with no issue and plugs look new still. If you need to replace them every 10k miles, something is wrong.
M engineering recommends changing plugs if over 10k miles to tighten the gap. On stock car it was fine. The gap now is just too wide for the increased boost. But like I said I won’t have to change them again.

·
Registered
340 Posts
what research did you do to come that that conclusion? It does take a lot of miles. Dont know a single guy that daily drives their supercar. And I know one guy that has over 1000 60-130 pulls on the same plugs and another guy with over 3000 60-130 pulls. Both did not change plugs. So like I said, I will never need to replace plugs again. And why are you talking about coils that don’t exist? But hey you know better than M Engineering and a mclaren mechanic.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
McLaren 12c 2012
903 Posts
I think you need to be pretty unlucky to have to regap plugs after a tune, as stated its more likely to be another factor like a weak coil or bad connection. Regapping really only needs to be required when running really high boost like 30 PSI, then its typical to go .20-22

Im running stock larger gap and happy with the response, remember a larger gap is a bigger spark, but sometimes it can be blown out but its pretty rare.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts