McLaren Life banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
World’s fastest and quickest McLarens
309 Posts
I think we are getting somewhere now in sorting this out! Thanks for the log! There seems to be a decent following of this thread so I wanted to help others who may see this.

You have a stored engine safety number 11. That is for misfire. Likely plugs and coils. With a log of the misfire occurring on the street we can pinpoint the cylinder the misfire is coming from, however we'd recommend doing plugs and coils in all cylinders. When doing plugs we always recommend OEM plugs at a gap of .022". Misfires due to the ignition system are among the most common issues with McLaren.

Colorfulness Product Rectangle Font Material property

Font Screenshot Number Parallel Document

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I think we are getting somewhere now in sorting this out! Thanks for the log! There seems to be a decent following of this thread so I wanted to help others who may see this.

You have a stored engine safety number 11. That is for misfire. Likely plugs and coils. With a log of the misfire occurring on the street we can pinpoint the cylinder the misfire is coming from, however we'd recommend doing plugs and coils in all cylinders. When doing plugs we always recommend OEM plugs at a gap of .022". Misfires due to the ignition system are among the most common issues with McLaren.

View attachment 221980

View attachment 221982

View attachment 221980

View attachment 221982
I will get you a log that repeats the misfire hopefully before the weekend. But thats so much for the help. You guys respond right back very quickly. I couldnt ask for more!!!

·
Registered
'15 650S Coupe, Aurora Blue
340 Posts
When doing plugs we always recommend OEM plugs at a gap of .022". Misfires due to the ignition system are among the most common issues with McLaren.
Are there any "better" coils out there than the "Nissan Sentra" units we have?

·
Registered
3,582 Posts

View attachment 221980

View attachment 221982
If only all customer service were like this! 😭

2012 MP4-12C
2,728 Posts
What part? I was debating on going to western NY on the 13th and 14th.
The problem seems to be spark blow out. So plugs and coils are needed.
Yup, tunes can do that. Plugs you gotta tighten up the gap and it solves it. I experienced it on mine.
Are there any "better" coils out there than the "Nissan Sentra" units we have?
Coils aren't the problem, and there is a varying quality among the application like with anything else. There is a very specific boot it has to have to be able to be installed as well. There is a newer style I've been seeing that won't origami it's way into the car I suspect.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
What part? I was debating on going to western NY on the 13th and 14th.

Yup, tunes can do that. Plugs you gotta tighten up the gap and it solves it. I experienced it on mine.

Coils aren't the problem, and there is a varying quality among the application like with anything else. There is a very specific boot it has to have to be able to be installed as well. There is a newer style I've been seeing that won't origami it's way into the car I suspect.
I’m on Long Island. I also have turbo inlets I need installed. And might as well do an oil change since I will be due soon also.

2012 MP4-12C
2,728 Posts
I’m on Long Island. I also have turbo inlets I need installed. And might as well do an oil change since I will be due soon also.
I've got a cousin in Smithtown. We can get get some dates booked and make it all happen at once, along with any other services you need but didn't know you needed them based on time or mileage.

Reactions: Anthony D

·
Registered
McLaren 12c 2012
903 Posts
OP are you not seeing the flashing light on the dash, this indicates a misfire, as stated you have a safety on, so the throttle is closing.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts