McLaren Life banner

81 - 100 of 146 Posts

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
I totally agree with you on this.

My other gripe is why can't I get manual Sports seats as part of the Performance Spec ? :(
You can order the manual sport seats with the Performance spec. From what I was told, there was a restriction on the early cars but no restriction now. I ordered them.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Who supplies the brake pads, is it Akebono?
AP Racing only provide the calipers and pads for the 720s. The discs are designed and supplied via Brembo and are 390Ø fronts + 380Ø rears. The discs are their standard CCM material as used on their other models (675LT/650/570).

The calipers are a lightweight bespoke design for the application to MCL and thus aren’t shown in the catalogue. This is also the same for the pads which is a special high performance pad material designed for this application to combine a “best for both worlds” for both road and track.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
I learned today that the cf roof and cf door upper leave the door hinge in gloss black. As such, I decided to pass.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Carbon Revolution, who makes the CF wheels for the Ford GT, does not yet make a fitment for the 720s.

BBS, who makes magnesium wheels, does not yet make magnesium wheels for the 720s.

·
Super Moderator
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
This thread has been a great source of info, here is my modest contribution.
Only change I could spot was all models now show palladium correctly.
Thanks! I added a link to your post in post 1 of this thread.

-Jamie.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
I did some checking on replacement costs for the front splitter.

The standard splitter is made of a composite plastic and costs approximately $2200 to replace. It is possible to repair. A new one comes painted.

The CF splitter costs approximately $9300 to replace. It is more difficult to repair and may not be repairable depending upon the extent of the damage.

Note: The splitter part numbers are different if you have the 360 degree view parking option.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I did some checking on replacement costs for the front splitter.

The standard splitter is made of a composite plastic and costs approximately $2200 to replace. It is possible to repair. A new one comes painted.

The CF splitter costs approximately $9300 to replace. It is more difficult to repair and may not be repairable depending upon the extent of the damage.

Note: The splitter part numbers are different if you have the 360 degree view parking option.
Anyone who opts for carbon splitter without the parking cameras (and lifter) deserves an award for courage

·
Registered
818 Posts
If you order base car and not luxury or performance do you not get this??

I looked on an spreadsheet and didnt see it included. Should be on all cars standard one would think
Only included on Lux or Perf cars, and not available as a la carte option on base models.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Was told this morning that the glazed roof option is no longer available from McLaren on new orders. Not sure if replacement gorilla glass will still be available, or only solid or carbon roof panels going forward.

I've been recommended to have Clearplex installed on the glass door tops, along with the windshield.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Damn that's a real shame if you can't get the transparent roof on the 720 anymore.

Hard to believe that they can't get that figured out it with today's technology if they were having issues

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wonder how this will effect new orders that are arriving here in the next month or so...i ordered the gorilla glass as an option on mine i wonder if it will have it.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I wonder how this will effect new orders that are arriving here in the next month or so...i ordered the gorilla glass as an option on mine i wonder if it will have it.
I'd call your dealer and have him inquire with the McLaren rep

What I was told is that it is no longer a selectable option on new orders, hopefully if your order was accepted with it then it will be built as ordered, with the Gorilla glass.

Sounds like the problems have been related to stress cracks developing in the 3mm Gorilla glass panels, because of the way the MonoCage II distributes stress up to the top of the glasshouse. Maybe a thicker glass piece or redesigned mounting is in the works... would definitely be a shame if there was no glass top option for cars yet to be built.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
It does raise an interesting question - what happens if you suffer a stress crack? Do they replace the glass panel or do they then switch it out to CF or aluminum under warranty.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
I just got an update. You can still order the gorilla glass. There has been a parts shortage due to supplier delays. No mention of stress crack related issues.

·
Registered
818 Posts
A few post-ownership thoughts on 720S options:

• Glass door tops - new glass supplier (Isoclima) and new seals have hopefully fixed the issue with stress cracks on early VIN cars; don't hesitate to spec them as they bring a lot of light into the cabin and also significantly increase headroom. Factory tint seems pretty effective at blocking heat and regardless the 720S A/C works great - it blows ice cold. Get PPF installed on the outside, you cannot see it and it should help protect the thin glass.
  • Homelink - super easy to program with amazing range, get it so you don't have to carry an opener
  • B&W audio - very respectable for a factory system, worth the money
  • 360 cameras - work well, best way to protect your splitter, bumper, and wheels. should be standard equipment.
  • Suspension lift - car has better than expected clearance, lifter is not needed it for typical speed bumps or 48" ramps so it should be okay to skip it unless you have to navigate very steep driveways. Also the 720S can apparently be lowered by the dealer, but only on cars without the lift; and since the lift only raises the front axle, when raised the rear diffusor's clearance is diminished.
Exterior Carbon - standard painted pieces and carbon have very similar color once you are far enough away to not resolve the difference in texture. On light colored cars I think it looks great as a contrast with the paint, on a dark car may not be worth it. And if you like the carbon look but don't want to spend the $, there are some half decent carbon-look vinyl wraps these days.

• All 3 packs are worth the money with the bundled 15% discount, eye sockets (part of #3) in particular look way better in carbon.
  • Engine cover - definitely worth the money, the standard plastic piece looks kind of cheap and out of place.
  • Diffusor - not worth the money since it is largely hidden, but it probably saves decent weight unlike most other pieces
  • Aero bridges - not worth the money, at least until the continuous door strut is available in matching carbon
Interior Carbon -

• Primary components - worth the money, you get the main part of the steering wheel, the active dynamics panel and door button surround
  • Secondary components - not really necessary, the standard trim looks just fine. And if you get the secondary, kind of need to get the fascia vents in carbon too to match, and they are quite pricey
  • Seatbacks - probably worth the money given their size, but not really visible unless you fold the seat forward or have a GoPro mounted on the rear glass
  • Sills - worth it, I wish I had spend the extra to get the extended MSO ones
  • MSO steering wheel - not worth the money, very poor value as you only get the top of the wheel in carbon over the primary components (likely already spec'd by anyone considering the MSO wheel)
  • MSO paddles - cosmetically far better than aftermarket, but the standard ones aren't terrible and the electronics are so good I rarely feel the need to use them
  • Visual carbon - an absolute must! looks far better than I expected, and the chassis is covered by cheap looking plastic panels in cars without it
Lux spec - No free carbon fiber, but the leather is incredibly nice. If you do not opt for the secondary interior components in carbon then the B&W speaker grills, air vents, IRIS surround, and hockey-stick door trim piece are all in the same nice matching metallic finish. You get the electric sport seats for free, they are very supportive and comfortable; Lux a bad value if you want the manual sport seats or carbon fiber bucket seats, both of which save significant weight over the electric seats.

Perf spec - You get the exterior pack#1 and primary interior components in carbon included, so a good value if you like alcantara and particularly if you want the manual sport seats or carbon fiber bucket seats. B&W speaker grills will stick out since they won't match other trim pieces.

81 - 100 of 146 Posts