McLaren Life banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
In terms of the OP worried about putting downpipes on his 720, it doesn't matter what automobile manufacture it is. You mod your car with downpipes and a tune (have to get a tune if you put downpipes on), and the motor blows, you are responsible and warranty is voided end of story! I think its funny how people are always saying specifically Mclaren won't warranty the cars if there's a problem after they have put downpipes on and tuned them. Well duhhh haha. If you do those same mods to a Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche, shoot even a Kia (if people do those mods to Kia's lol) and the motor blows, the manufacturer isn't going to cover the motor under warranty haha. Now the good news is, I have not heard of any 720 motors having issues whatsoever with a downpipes and tune. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but it appears these motors are pretty bulletproof.
It might be the 4G33 or 2JZ GTE of McLaren ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
It might be the 4G33 or 2JZ GTE of McLaren ?
I’d chime in here that both Porsche and McLaren are amazing cars. I have a 2020 720s spider and a 2007 GT3 . Do I love them both? Absolutely and for different reasons. The MCLaren is butter. The GT3 is raw fun. Don’t get hung up on favorites. Life is too short for that!

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes and if possible a manual GT3. Their sound is intoxicating. I have friends who own those and took me on autocross! Wow just amazing, The sound, power and 4 wheel steering. Lamborghini Gallardo or a Huracan! Of course Aventador if financially possible. The Lambos sound and look menacing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes and if possible a manual GT3. Their sound is intoxicating. I have friends who own those and took me on autocross! Wow just amazing, The sound, power and 4 wheel steering. Lamborghini Gallardo or a Huracan! Of course Aventador if financially possible. The Lambos sound and look menacing.
Ah yes. The GT3 is a three pedal beauty. Boy have we dumbed down the fun of a three pedal car in pursuit of 0.1 seconds.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I’d chime in here that both Porsche and McLaren are amazing cars. I have a 2020 720s spider and a 2007 GT3 . Do I love them both? Absolutely and for different reasons. The MCLaren is butter. The GT3 is raw fun. Don’t get hung up on favorites. Life is too short for that!
Yeah the 2018/19 GT3/RS have the 4.0 engine. The rest are the 3.0?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Long time Porsche owner with multiple GT3 and GT3 RS models. Currently with a 991.2 GT3 RS. As others have said the GT3 RS is a GREAT car on the track, but can beat you up a bit on bad roads. Even with the DSC suspension controller installed the ride on rough roads can get old. This from a guy who would drive a Cup car on the street if I could :). The Porsche GT cars are bullet proof, IMO, for the street to track to street. Meaning, drive it to the track, pound the hell out of it, then turn around and drive it home. Never an issue in 10 years. Solid, reliable cars. I was not thrilled with the 991.2 GT3 manual. It was too smooth - the clutch and the gear shifts felt like driving a Honda compared to the feeling I got in my 997.2 GT3; that was very mechanical and visceral feeling.

I would agree that the 720S is more comparable to the GT3 RS as far as power, speed and handling goes and would suspect a Porsche Turbo S would be more closely aligned to the 720S for ride/comfort perspective. If not tracking and yet you want to thrill of power and torque with creature comforts, then when you are ready I would explore the Turbo S models.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
While the GT cars are in a different category, the turbo S is just a straight downgrade from the 720S. It’s heavier. slower in acceleration and top speed AND on the track. Worse handling. Worse sounding. Not as good looking (imo).

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
OP, I see two easy ways to solve your GT3 itch.

(1) You mentioned you're in Socal. Get over to the Porsche Experience Center in Carson and rip their GT3 PDK around the track. They don't offer GT3RSs for the experience, but the RS only shines above the GT3 in high-speed corners which PECLA doesn't really have. They also do not offer manual trans in the GT3, but you'll get a feel for the rest of the car. I ripped their GT3 around their track and had a great time.

(2) Turo. It's a popular app in SoCal and you can rent a GT3 and GT3RS from local owners for day. Especially if you're in LA where there's a few offered.

The GT3/RS is a very engaging car, and I'd argue a more fun track car than a non-LT mac. But you're not going to the track. Beyond the on-track performance, there is a very deep aftermarket and community for GT cars that adds to the ownership experience on and off the track.

But in the end...I bought a McLaren. And a 570S at that. No regrets.
I’m going to do the first one later when all this is over. I’ve recently come to realize driving in track in my 720S around 4000rpm upshifting when normally driving sounds really good. I’ve been driving my car really efficiently recently just enjoying driving the car itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Would you guys trade in your 720s for a GT3RS. I know speed wise there’s no competition and GT3RS has no chance except maybe on track. But I’ve kept up on a GT3RS’s tail on the track and I’m an amateur driver on track.

I like the sound of the GT3RS very engaging. I’ve been through all the craze of speed and acceleration, and won’t miss it after a while so that’s why I would trade in for GT3RS. Of course this would be after three years as there is no way to trade in my lease for a Porsche.

What other cars around the 250k price range would you trade your car for?
i am actually looking at GT3RS too, i drove one few weeks ago and i loved it. What a great machine at track. Looks so good too. Race car in street! Reliability and nonstop depreciation of the mclaren really started me pushing away.

·
Registered
152 Posts
It is insulting to a 720s to compare it to a gt3rs or a gt3. Only reason to go for those two porsche's is cost to buy the car. Nothing else.

720s takes a lot longer to solve on track. 500-525 H.P. is much easier to manage then 700 plus horsepower. If your lap time is faster in a gt3rs then a 720s then it only proves that one can't handle the speed of a 720s.

You'll never win a beauty contest with gt3 or gt3rs, you'll never win a speed contest (1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, street racing), etc., and they aren't rare at all.
I think the word insulting is a little harsh .... anyone that can afford a gt3rs can afford a 720s .... like me but I love my rs too much to take a chance!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I think the word insulting is a little harsh .... anyone that can afford a gt3rs can afford a 720s .... like me but I love my rs too much to take a chance!

Not harsh. I've had a gt3rs (tracked it, drove to restaurants with it, etc). It is a performance car that belongs on a track with no other useful purpose. 720s is the greatest all around car every made. It does everything well.

Funny comment coming from a person who constantly talks about depreciation in a very slanted way.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Not harsh. I've had a gt3rs (tracked it, drove to restaurants with it, etc). It is a performance car that belongs on a track with no other useful purpose. 720s is the greatest all around car every made. It does everything well.

Funny comment coming from a person who constantly talks about depreciation in a very slanted way.
Explain what you mean slanted?

41 - 52 of 52 Posts