McLaren Life banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts
I own both actually, and if I need to decide who needs to go, the Porsche would go.
The McLaren is in all perspectives the better car. Maybe on the Nordschleife in high speed corners there is a small advantage for the Porsche..... View attachment 202594 View attachment 202594
For me I think I would actually keep the GT3. Although I’m biased because of the manual as I didn’t even consider buying the car without it, it’s definitely the main selling point for me.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Ummm no, I’ve had some misfire problems that required replacing the coils but nothing as dramatic, and those problems were already there before the exhaust and tune. If you’re so worried you should go for downpipes with sport cats that don’t require a tune, I think VelocityAP make them as such.
Thanks for the advice.
It wasn’t preexisting for the engine. I used the anti-lag so much that it couldn’t handle it. It was my mistake. Same thing with the clutch. I had never driven a manual before. After everything was fixed it never happened again and I got really good with manual techniques.
I was just saying I’d prefer not to pay for a whole engine. If it came to I can’t immediately pay 98k for a new engine, it would take some time. I think I’ll wait once the warranty is over. I’m mastering the ability to get it to crackle, so I’ll have fun with that. I’ll keep my 720S for sure but I will get a Porsche or something else with an NA engine down the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #23 ·
For me I think I would actually keep the GT3. Although I’m biased because of the manual as I didn’t even consider buying the car without it, it’s definitely the main selling point for me.
I want to get the manual at some point too. I think the manual version of most cars feels faster in terms of speed then the automatic counterparts.

I want to get the manual at some point too. I think the manual version of most cars feels faster in terms of speed then the automatic counterparts.

I have had PDK's the 720s and manual high HP cars. The manual does not make it feel faster to me. It is more engaging and there is a reason to want one but faster is not it. You can see lots of youtube videos of a manual racing a dual clutch and you can see every manual shift as the car falls back.

It would take quite a bit of experience to take a 720s to 100% on the track. Your self preservation instinct kicks in long before 100%. I also think unless you had a lot of experience in the 720 a 720 with a manual would be very hard to drive, I realize it does not exist. You would need to shift so often it would become a burden and take too much of your focus. It just revs so fast.

I am still in the honeymoon phase. Every time I drive it it blows my mind. I have a C7 Z06 manual with all the right options and the Mac just sucked the joy out of it. I am probably going to sell it, I thought I would keep it for a summer daily driver but there is just such a stark difference in the cars. This big deal with the Corvette is the back hatch makes it very functional. You can fit an incredible amount of stuff back there.

Would you guys trade in your 720s for a GT3RS. I know speed wise there’s no competition and GT3RS has no chance except maybe on track. But I’ve kept up on a GT3RS’s tail on the track and I’m an amateur driver on track.

I like the sound of the GT3RS very engaging. I’ve been through all the craze of speed and acceleration, and won’t miss it after a while so that’s why I would trade in for GT3RS. Of course this would be after three years as there is no way to trade in my lease for a Porsche.

What other cars around the 250k price range would you trade your car for?
If you are concerned about the 720 on a track, have you looked into a McLaren event say at CoTA where you could drive a 720s with a coach sitting next to you for a day or two? I know with the virus situation this isn't possible but it will be eventually.
I spent 1.5 days doing this back in 2017 in a 570 and I was able to shave 5 MINUTES off my best track time back home first try. The first thing coach (Benny Simonsen) said after a few laps was "you are way too nice to this car". The way McLaren structures the training is very effective. You drive 20 minutes, swap the car with another pair while you review telemetry data on a laptop for 20 minutes, and repeat. Goes from 8.30 to 4.30 with an hour break for lunch.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
I’m not concerned with the 720S on track at all. I’ve done those and have tracked for the last year. Everyone said my basic driving line, acceleration, and braking skill were great, especially being I have low experience.

I’m just talking about the Porsche on road. I would be tracking the Porsche barely, if not none. I understand there is no comparison between the cars’ performance and I knew that before starting this thread.

I’m just saying the fastest I sustain is 75 on the freeway. I’ve accelerated on public roads before, but don’t really do so much. I’m purely talking about the car in a street sense at 45mph you don’t get the pops, crackles, or burbles you sometimes get at 80mph.

So at 45mph I’d like to have the joy of a burbling exhaust or manual transmission when I let off the gas. I’m not trying to say one is better because I own the 720S and obviously it’s better in every way. I just asked because each car is different in what they do and what their purpose is. I’m not trying to offend anyone.

Would you guys trade in your 720s for a GT3RS. I know speed wise there’s no competition and GT3RS has no chance except maybe on track. But I’ve kept up on a GT3RS’s tail on the track and I’m an amateur driver on track.

I like the sound of the GT3RS very engaging. I’ve been through all the craze of speed and acceleration, and won’t miss it after a while so that’s why I would trade in for GT3RS. Of course this would be after three years as there is no way to trade in my lease for a Porsche.

What other cars around the 250k price range would you trade your car for?
I traded my 650s for a GT3RS and it was a terrible decision. The 650s is a much better car than the RS. I lasted only about 4-5 months in the RS and then moved to a 720s. You can't even compare a 720s and an RS...at least not a GT3. The GT2RS is a better option, but still falls short to the 720.

There are things you can do to the exhaust to make is sound better. Obviously, the GT3RS is going to sound louder due to the nature of the engine. That is the only thing I miss about the RS - nothing else. I installed a titanium cat-back on my 720s and made a difference in sound - not volume so much, but rather tone and pitch. I am happy with it - but I am not willing to install any type of downpipe w/or w/o cats as that is asking for trouble from McLaren and warranty. After my warranty is over, I may think differently.

Now, some people have mentioned a manual GT3 - and of course, there is something fun about engaging in the shifting. It is definitely not faster or quicker, but it is a different experience. I have a 6 speed 997.1 Turbo that is modified heavily and it fits that car's personality. It is just as quick as the 720s, but it is a different experience for sure.

I have had PDK's the 720s and manual high HP cars. The manual does not make it feel faster to me. It is more engaging and there is a reason to want one but faster is not it. You can see lots of youtube videos of a manual racing a dual clutch and you can see every manual shift as the car falls back.

It would take quite a bit of experience to take a 720s to 100% on the track. Your self preservation instinct kicks in long before 100%. I also think unless you had a lot of experience in the 720 a 720 with a manual would be very hard to drive, I realize it does not exist. You would need to shift so often it would become a burden and take too much of your focus. It just revs so fast.

I am still in the honeymoon phase. Every time I drive it it blows my mind. I have a C7 Z06 manual with all the right options and the Mac just sucked the joy out of it. I am probably going to sell it, I thought I would keep it for a summer daily driver but there is just such a stark difference in the cars. This big deal with the Corvette is the back hatch makes it very functional. You can fit an incredible amount of stuff back there.
Yeah, it’s by no means faster but I guess he means it just feels that way. I also wanted to sdd that a manula Porsche is unlike any other manual from my experience. It’s very tight and on point, feels amazing. Plus the sport button allows auto rev matching on downshifts and upshifts and no lift shifts even at partial throttle, which makes it semi-automatic in some sort.

I have never driven a 720S, but I did just get a 600LT and I have a 991.2 GT3RS. I have the full Dundon power package on the RS (headers, loud muffler, intake, etc). My 600LT has the Novitech exhaust and stage 2 tune. From a sound perspective the RS with the Dundon system is absolutely epic. There are very few cars that sound as good or better IMO. The 600LT, even with the Novitech system, doesn't sound as good. Although the loud cracks/pops on downshifts are pretty awesome on the 600LT, not to mention the flames it shoots.

I haven't really had much of a chance to play around with all the different settings on the 600LT yet, but my initial impression is that the 600LT looks better and is faster. However, the GT3RS sounds better and the steering is just absolute perfection. There is just something about the way the 3RS handles that is magic IMO that the 600LT just doesn't quite measure up to. I'm not sure how the 720S compares, with it's hydraulic suspension setup.

If I were you, I'd drive a GT3RS and see what you think.

I’d compare a 720S more to a GT2RS, speed wise the 720S is a faster car depending on where on how you drive. The RS cars are more track focused, and not very good street cars. My 675LT makes my GT3 feel really slow due to the lack of torque in the flat 6 GTRS, and it’s a bore street driving because ukulele need to get that baby rev’d up about 6K and then you’re going to jail.

‘The Macs can be driven as daily drivers, and very comfortable on the street and fun as heck to drive. I love the two cars for what the do, and they do a lot of things well. The RS is crazy fun on the track, and super grip and for me 525 hp is more than enough for the track. Not sure you would like a RS over the 720S. Good luck .......I love them both.

To me a 720s is at least one level above the GT3rs ... I mean for a good spec the MSRP of the 720s is nearly double that of the Porsche ... while the Porsche is based on a 100k 911 (of course highly modified) the 720s is an original and independent design ... alone for that reason I would not give up a 720s for a GT3rs

Reactions: DaDuke
I own a 997 GT2, and it is a ton of fun (and work!) on track. It's 6-speed manual gearbox does not have rev-matching software and it is a smaller car than the 991 series cars. Add in the hydraulic steering, and this thing is analog!

I would consider the Porsche GT cars as track-biased cars and the McLaren 720 as the all-around super car. Porsches will be cheaper to track/own given their lower parts costs, but the GT models are not as compliant on the road as a McLaren Super Series car. I sold a 991 Turbo S in order to get my 720S, and I would have sold any 991 model because driving a McLaren is so much more special IMHO.

(BTW, I enjoy tracking each of my cars and the 458 is the best sounding car on track. It suffers from an inadequately-bolstered, stock seat that make track work exhausting)

Discussion starter · #34 ·
After a bit of research, I've found its not worth to trade in or sell my 720S, as since the sound is the only thing I feel could be improved on. I'm going to get a titanium catback exhaust to make the revs a bit more high pitched and am going to do a track day soon to once again remember how fun the 720S is on track.

After a bit of research, I've found its not worth to trade in or sell my 720S, as since the sound is the only thing I feel could be improved on. I'm going to get a titanium catback exhaust to make the revs a bit more high pitched and am going to do a track day soon to once again remember how fun the 720S is on track.
I get how you feel. Going from a Huracan to the 720S I really missed the sound and while the car was amazing I was just bored most of the time. If you could afford it in the future you should get a “fun” car alongside the 720S in the future. Doesn’t have to be as expensive as the GT3 or as fast but just something that sounds good and feels great to drive.

OP, I see two easy ways to solve your GT3 itch.

(1) You mentioned you're in Socal. Get over to the Porsche Experience Center in Carson and rip their GT3 PDK around the track. They don't offer GT3RSs for the experience, but the RS only shines above the GT3 in high-speed corners which PECLA doesn't really have. They also do not offer manual trans in the GT3, but you'll get a feel for the rest of the car. I ripped their GT3 around their track and had a great time.

(2) Turo. It's a popular app in SoCal and you can rent a GT3 and GT3RS from local owners for <$1000/day. Especially if you're in LA where there's a few offered.

The GT3/RS is a very engaging car, and I'd argue a more fun track car than a non-LT mac. But you're not going to the track. Beyond the on-track performance, there is a very deep aftermarket and community for GT cars that adds to the ownership experience on and off the track.

But in the end...I bought a McLaren. And a 570S at that. No regrets.

Reactions: TwnTrbo
Long time Porsche owner with multiple GT3 and GT3 RS models. Currently with a 991.2 GT3 RS. As others have said the GT3 RS is a GREAT car on the track, but can beat you up a bit on bad roads. Even with the DSC suspension controller installed the ride on rough roads can get old. This from a guy who would drive a Cup car on the street if I could :). The Porsche GT cars are bullet proof, IMO, for the street to track to street. Meaning, drive it to the track, pound the hell out of it, then turn around and drive it home. Never an issue in 10 years. Solid, reliable cars. I was not thrilled with the 991.2 GT3 manual. It was too smooth - the clutch and the gear shifts felt like driving a Honda compared to the feeling I got in my 997.2 GT3; that was very mechanical and visceral feeling.

I would agree that the 720S is more comparable to the GT3 RS as far as power, speed and handling goes and would suspect a Porsche Turbo S would be more closely aligned to the 720S for ride/comfort perspective. If not tracking and yet you want to thrill of power and torque with creature comforts, then when you are ready I would explore the Turbo S models.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

The 720s (esp the spider) is a swiss army knife and honestly 'could be' the greatest ALL-AROUND street car ever made to this point. Yes, it's 'that' good. 3 years later and companies are still trying to catch up. Ferrari needed a track version Pista just to keep up and it's still slightly behind. Porsche needed the GT2RS to keep up and it's still behind on the street and very comparable on the track. And YET, neither of those cars has the daily driving appeal of the 720s. It's effortless, comfortable and a true masterpiece. YES, there are more visceral car experiences...if that's what you want: get an LT, or an RS car...but overall, nothing holds a candle to the 720s. Maybe the F8 Tributo is getting close.

I’m waiting for my C8 as well. It will be my daily while the 720s will be my exquisite drive on occasion.

In terms of the OP worried about putting downpipes on his 720, it doesn't matter what automobile manufacture it is. You mod your car with downpipes and a tune (have to get a tune if you put downpipes on), and the motor blows, you are responsible and warranty is voided end of story! I think its funny how people are always saying specifically Mclaren won't warranty the cars if there's a problem after they have put downpipes on and tuned them. Well duhhh haha. If you do those same mods to a Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche, shoot even a Kia (if people do those mods to Kia's lol) and the motor blows, the manufacturer isn't going to cover the motor under warranty haha. Now the good news is, I have not heard of any 720 motors having issues whatsoever with a downpipes and tune. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but it appears these motors are pretty bulletproof.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.