McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you guys trade in your 720s for a GT3RS. I know speed wise there’s no competition and GT3RS has no chance except maybe on track. But I’ve kept up on a GT3RS’s tail on the track and I’m an amateur driver on track.

I like the sound of the GT3RS very engaging. I’ve been through all the craze of speed and acceleration, and won’t miss it after a while so that’s why I would trade in for GT3RS. Of course this would be after three years as there is no way to trade in my lease for a Porsche.

What other cars around the 250k price range would you trade your car for?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Would you guys trade in your 720s for a GT3RS. I know speed wise there’s no competition and GT3RS has no chance except maybe on track. But I’ve kept up on a GT3RS’s tail on the track and I’m an amateur driver on track.

I like the sound of the GT3RS very engaging. I’ve been through all the craze of speed and acceleration, and won’t miss it after a while so that’s why I would trade in for GT3RS. Of course this would be after three years as there is no way to trade in my lease for a Porsche.

I would go for a manual GT3. I enjoy it the more than the 720S.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would go for a manual GT3. I enjoy it the more than the 720S.
Yes this too. I loved my civic type r and wanted to get the manual gt3. Do you track it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes this too. I loved my civic type r and wanted to get the manual gt3. Do you track it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Only a few times before all of this happened. Wasn’t faster than the 720 on the track but tracking it felt like a breeze in comparasion, and I had way more fun in it (partly because of the bucket seats). I also enjoy the way it handles better on both the street and track. The 720S grips better and does greater things but the GT3 feels more “1:1”.

·
Registered
2020 720 Spider
140 Posts
Did you say ‘in 3 years’ due to your current lease? If so...I’d wait about 2.5 years and re-evaluate.

If I’m mistaken...then I guess it just depends on which ‘experience’ you prefer. The ‘RS’ cars are pretty awesome...+1 for the manual if you go that route. GT4 is pretty cool as well...I a had 600LT for a track day...and it was impressive. Felt so much more manageable than my 720s. More confidence inspiring. Maybe consider one of those.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a new 2019 Porsche GT3 Touring which all are 6 speed manuals that I thought I would love but liked my 12C at the time much better! The 720S is of course is in a different category. The Porsche had a good sound but was rather sterile compared to the McLaren so I sold it rather quickly

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
It is insulting to a 720s to compare it to a gt3rs or a gt3. Only reason to go for those two porsche's is cost to buy the car. Nothing else.

720s takes a lot longer to solve on track. 500-525 H.P. is much easier to manage then 700 plus horsepower. If your lap time is faster in a gt3rs then a 720s then it only proves that one can't handle the speed of a 720s.

You'll never win a beauty contest with gt3 or gt3rs, you'll never win a speed contest (1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, street racing), etc., and they aren't rare at all.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,164 Posts
I think gaining intuition with the anti physics suspension of a super series macca takes time, and most will never “get it” and why they prefer the suspension on a Porsche or even sports series macca.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is insulting to a 720s to compare it to a gt3rs or a gt3. Only reason to go for those two porsche's is cost to buy the car. Nothing else.

720s takes a lot longer to solve on track. 500-525 H.P. is much easier to manage then 700 plus horsepower. If your lap time is faster in a gt3rs then a 720s then it only proves that one can't handle the speed of a 720s.

You'll never win a beauty contest with gt3 or gt3rs, you'll never win a speed contest (1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, street racing), etc., and they aren't rare at all.
That’s why I said there’s no comparison. I’m saying that I like the naturally aspirated sound of the Porsche GT3 cars as well as the Lamborghini V10. I love my 720S. I was wondering what cars others would prefer. I’ve only had Mclaren so don’t know much of anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think gaining intuition with the anti physics suspension of a super series macca takes time, and most will never “get it” and why they prefer the suspension on a Porsche or even sports series macca.
I’ve never driven a Porsche and Mclaren was the first car I’ve ever tracked. I have no problem with it on track. If I get a Porsche it’s primarily going to be a road car. I’m feeling restricted by the 720s on the road. It reaches redline very quick. And first gear itself gets to 50.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A gt3 manual would be an addition instead of exchange. I like the loudness of my 720s but just wish it had a bit more tone like the natural aspirated Porsche. Or a 488 pista. I want to do a sport downpipe install but if anything happens to the engine and Mclaren won’t cover it, I won’t be able to afford a repair.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,164 Posts
I’ve never driven a Porsche and Mclaren was the first car I’ve ever tracked. I have no problem with it on track. If I get a Porsche it’s primarily going to be a road car. I’m feeling restricted by the 720s on the road. It reaches redline very quick. And first gear itself gets to 50.

all other cars are dissimilar to the Mclaren hydraulic setup. Any other car you had is more similar to the Porsche than the Mclaren.

the macca is great on track, but pushing It to 100% and being comfortable with what it will do, for most, will be much more challenging than doing the same thing in the Porsche. But as always, ymmv.

that said, Porsche makes great cars. People love them for very good reason.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On a pure sound basis don’t you think the GT3RS sounds more aggressive than a 720S. The 720S is very insulated inside, but still loud on the outside. I’m not going to track the car much anymore anyways.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also has anyone had warranty or mechanical issues with an aftermarket exhaust on their 720S? I’m in Southern California, so do you also know of any shops that warranty their work?

If I could get a bit more sound from the exhaust of my 720S then it’s perfect.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Also has anyone had warranty or mechanical issues with an aftermarket exhaust on their 720S? I’m in Southern California, so do you also know of any shops that warranty their work?

If I could get a bit more sound from the exhaust of my 720S then it’s perfect.

I can tell you that swapping just the catback for straight pipes doesn’t do much. Most of the sound changes with the downpipes. Getting both downpipes and an X-pipe is the way to go. It just noise at the low end but you get a really nice high-pitched sound past 5K RPM. My exhaust is from Unobtainium if that helps.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can tell you that swapping just the catback for straight pipes doesn’t do much. Most of the sound changes with the downpipes. Getting both downpipes and an X-pipe is the way to go. It just noise at the low end but you get a really nice high-pitched sound past 5K RPM. My exhaust is from Unobtainium if that helps.
I’ve heard of unobtainium exhausts. Have you had any issues while servicing the car? I had a fear of tuning and modding. I had a simple flash tune with anti-lag for my civic type r. The engine exploded along with the turbo and shot through the transmission casing which I had just payed 8k for with a new clutch as the old one was worn. Dealer would not cover even though other dealers do the same tune and had to pay 20k out of pocket to repair.

·
Registered
162 Posts

I own both actually, and if I need to decide who needs to go, the Porsche would go.
The McLaren is in all perspectives the better car. Maybe on the Nordschleife in high speed corners there is a small advantage for the Porsche.....
720s & GT3RS.jpg

·
Registered
79 Posts
I’ve heard of unobtainium exhausts. Have you had any issues while servicing the car? I had a fear of tuning and modding. I had a simple flash tune with anti-lag for my civic type r. The engine exploded along with the turbo and shot through the transmission casing which I had just payed 8k for with a new clutch as the old one was worn. Dealer would not cover even though other dealers do the same tune and had to pay 20k out of pocket to repair.

Ummm no, I’ve had some misfire problems that required replacing the coils but nothing as dramatic, and those problems were already there before the exhaust and tune. If you’re so worried you should go for downpipes with sport cats that don’t require a tune, I think VelocityAP make them as such.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts