McLaren Life banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Owner
495 Posts
There are not in the same league.
You can't compare it - if AFTER driving both of them, you still have doubts, then it doesn't really matter. Buy what YOU want. Opinions of others are completely irrelevant at that point.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Make sure, that the latest software is installed or will be installed in the near future. There were and still are a lot of software glitches, which can be healed with software updates. Parking sensors going panic in stop & go traffic, suspension failures, power steering failures, just to name a few. All these errors can be dismissed by restarting the car, but that's not fun. Not all of them are fixed by this time, but it got a lot better in the last year.
the parking sensors is really not a McLaren only Problem ... both my Audis have that too ... It’s a bit annoying but I more see it as a better safe than sorry thing ... my first Audi 15 years ago had the opposite and the sensors sometimes didnt Go off ... result was a damaged rear from a concrete pillar which was in the blind spot when reversing ...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Absolutely no comparison. The 720S is far superior in every way I can think of. I ordered a 2018 488 GTB and took delivery in December of 2017. The first time I saw a 720S in person was Thanksgiving weekend of 2019. I was totally blown away! Seeing it in person really made me realize that the pics you see online and in magazines just can't capture its beauty and engineering excellence.

I traded the 488 in on the 720S and have never looked back. From a power standpoint the 720S has over 100 rwhp more than the 488. Add to that the fact that with 3/4 of a tank of gas the 488 weighs 3607 lbs while the 720S with a full tank of gas weighs 3265 lbs - the difference becomes huge. The interior layout shows an even greater difference. The 488's is very simple with only a few areas you can configure to your tastes. The 720S is ultra modern and has what seems to be an endless amount of configuration changes that can be made.

The driving dynamics are also significantly better in the 720S. For example, the transmission shift times are unbelievably quicker than the 488 - no matter which Manettino setting you select. Everyone talks about zero turbo lag in the 488 but I haven't been able to feel any in the 720S either under similar driving conditions.

I could go on and on but I will stop. I just wish I would never have bought the 488. Oh well.

·
Registered
672 Posts
The 720s is a performance and technology tour de force. Looks are subjective. I like the ferrari better, most here and younger people seem to like the mac. For what you get, the 720 should sell for twice what it does.... but it doesn't. McLaren seems to mismanage it's company and inventory quite badly... then again, it's those deep discounts that keep me in the brand. Not sure I'd be a buyer at what I really think these cars are worth (in comparison to the competition). I've have a real issue with how ferrari controls magazines and other publications with ringer cars and embargo threats if anyone exposes them, but they do seems to keep close tabs on supply/demand, for which McLaren does nothing... I think the best looking and best value mclaren most people on here can afford is still the 675lt spyder and I kind of wish I had gone that route. The 765lt is step back in appearance for a car already with polarizing aesthetics imo.

·
Registered
113 Posts
A couple of months ago I test drove a 488 before buying a new 720S. Similarly to Kmaaq, I found the 488 boring. I didn't get the chance to open the 488 up, but feeling I am driving something special even at 'normal' road speeds is important to me. I absolutely felt that in the 720S; not so much in the 488. To boot, the Ferrari's looks leave me cold and the whole experience driving the 488 just lacked the drama of driving the 720S, even just pootling to the shops.
"Pootling" - A great word...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Shoot a 570s is a better car than a 488, let alone a 720. Compared to a 488, a 570 is lighter, faster, has things like a carbon tub and brake steer, more rare, more daily drivable, better looking, and the best part, cheaper! A 720 will make a 488 feel like an 70's Ford Pinto. So I guess if you like Pinto's, get a 488 lol.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The 720s is a performance and technology tour de force. Looks are subjective. I like the ferrari better, most here and younger people seem to like the mac. For what you get, the 720 should sell for twice what it does.... but it doesn't. McLaren seems to mismanage it's company and inventory quite badly... then again, it's those deep discounts that keep me in the brand. Not sure I'd be a buyer at what I really think these cars are worth (in comparison to the competition). I've have a real issue with how ferrari controls magazines and other publications with ringer cars and embargo threats if anyone exposes them, but they do seems to keep close tabs on supply/demand, for which McLaren does nothing... I think the best looking and best value mclaren most people on here can afford is still the 675lt spyder and I kind of wish I had gone that route. The 765lt is step back in appearance for a car already with polarizing aesthetics imo.
Agreed, I would go 675LT all day every day but he didn’t ask about that option.

·
Registered
577 Posts
While I totally agree and echo the sentiment on this thread, I do wonder about what kind of responses you'd get on F chat. Or perhaps you did pose the question there as well?

·
Registered
85 Posts
You should look at the post on Karenable.com analyzing their situation right now, it will give you an idea at how bad Mclaren’s management is. Also, I think the 765LT is a step up in terms of looks over the 720 IMO. I think the 675 looks good but never saw the 650 as something special.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
While I totally agree and echo the sentiment on this thread, I do wonder about what kind of responses you'd get on F chat. Or perhaps you did pose the question there as well?
knowing them I guess the answer would be a ban for several weeks/months 😬

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Surprisingly the guys at F-chat were nice and very open. They even asked me to share pics.
Lol no what I meant is if you say McLaren is better than Ferrari there you likely get some fun answers ... kind of heresy there lol ;)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Imho there are more ppl on Mclarenchat that refuse to criticize Mclaren than on Fchat who refuse to criticize Ferrari. More niche here. More widespread there.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Imho there are more ppl on Mclarenchat that refuse to criticize Mclaren than on Fchat who refuse to criticize Ferrari. More niche here. More widespread there.
well you still forget that criticizing Ferrari or making their products look bad in public can relatively easily put you on a black list or even land you in trouble with their lawyers...

don’t see much widespread critique over there ... here those quality issue and depreciation threads make up about 50% of the forum activity - at least it feels that way ...

·
Registered
324 Posts
well you still forget that criticizing Ferrari or making their products look bad in public can relatively easily put you on a black list or even land you in trouble with their lawyers...

don’t see much widespread critique over there ... here those quality issue and depreciation threads make up about 50% of the forum activity - at least it feels that way ...
Huh? are you talking about Ferrari Chat? This is patently false. Ive been a member there for a decade or so and not once have I ever seen anyone put on a black list or trouble with lawyers for criticizing Ferrari. Plenty of Ferrari critiques are there where warranted.

As I stated, there are Ferrari homers there but there are also fans of cars in general.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Huh? are you talking about Ferrari Chat? This is patently false. Ive been a member there for a decade or so and not once have I ever seen anyone put on a black list or trouble with lawyers for criticizing Ferrari. Plenty of Ferrari critiques are there where warranted.

As I stated, there are Ferrari homers there but there are also fans of cars in general.
Maybe only a subjective feeling, but imo the brand critique there is a much smaller fraction of the overall forum compared to here... additionally the community seems to handle ppl with a toxic attitude better (by not supporting their view points) than done here where a lot of ppl feel that every new quality/depreciation issue thread is a new opportunity to write off their frustration, with things we sometimes have to read for the 20th plus time ... only subjective maybe bc I am only a fraction of the time on Fchat compared to here but its how I feel about both places in comparison ... It does however not mean that some of the other forum stuff going on there (especially the attitude of some posters) is ridiculous ...

21 - 40 of 70 Posts