McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I apologize in advance if the post is a bit long.

I am currently looking to get my first supercar and have narrowed it down to either a pre-owned 720s or 488.

I recently drove a 720s at a local McLaren dealership, but did not get a chance to drive a 488 at the local Ferrari dealership as most of the 488’s they had were on consignment and because they had just gotten a F8 Tributo demo for a few days. So with only a limited time I couldn’t refuse their offer to drive the F8.

The F8 is a fantastic car and I was told by the sales person at Ferrari that it is an improvement over the 488 but overall they are very similar and by driving a F8 I should have a very close ballpark idea of how the 488 should be.

With that said, I also got a chance to drive the 720s and it was explosive to say the least. I could speak to the differences in character and feel of each of the cars for days but for the sake of time, I will try and keep it brief.

Where I am, both the 720s and the 488 are in the similar price range and with each having their own pros and cons I am torn between which to go for.

The 720s is no doubt quicker and has better performance, but in my opinion the sound wasn’t as enthralling and I felt a bit of “turbo lag” at lower rpm’s, especially in higher gears. The F8, felt more naturally aspirated in terms of throttle response in my short drive (I presume the 488 is similar). I also liked the brake feel on the Ferrari compared to the McLaren, which felt very heavy and dead/lacked any feel.

To me both, the 488 looks great, but the 720s in the right colour combo simply looks astounding. The dihedral doors are also very special.

Overall interior on both to me seems fine each with their own style, an edge to the McLaren in my view as I like the full digital dash compared to the Ferrari’s centre rev counter flanked by two displays.

So in short, do you think it is worth getting a used 488 even though a used 720s is ahead in performance and for the same price if not cheaper?

For those of you that have had a 488, if you have any insights that would also be appreciated.

I know I am on a McLaren forum and I do feel a bit daft even asking these questions along with making any comparisons with another brand but I figure you all could shed some light in regards to what for me is a tough decision.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It’s not even close, to me the 488 is a very boring car. If you would’ve said the Pista you’d have a better case but even the the 720S is better in some aspects.

The response is indeed quicker because the Ferrari engine has less turbo lag. The 720S brakes feel weird at first but are actually pretty good once you get used to them. Looks-wise I think the 488 looks very bland compared to the 720, but the Pista is one of the best looking cars made. Engine note is the same really, if you go with an aftermarket exhaust the 720S sounds better. You can see and access your engine with the 488 while in the 720 you get more room to place stuff + better visibility in the back (and overall really, the 720 visibility can’t be beaten). Speed wise it’s not even close, not even the Pista catches up. Keep in mind that even the Pista weighs 1520kg (advertised as 1380kg) while the 720 is 1420kg, think how much more the 488 would be.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A couple of months ago I test drove a 488 before buying a new 720S. Similarly to Kmaaq, I found the 488 boring. I didn't get the chance to open the 488 up, but feeling I am driving something special even at 'normal' road speeds is important to me. I absolutely felt that in the 720S; not so much in the 488. To boot, the Ferrari's looks leave me cold and the whole experience driving the 488 just lacked the drama of driving the 720S, even just pootling to the shops.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Couple of things having owned many Ferrari's and also the 720s.

Firstly the F8 is not really that close to the 488. That would be like comparing the 650s to the 720s - while maybe in the same class, the 720s is much faster, etc. The F8 (while I do not have one) is a notch above the 488 in most aspects. It is actually closer to the Pista performance wise than the 488. Having had a 458 and an F12 (The 488 is closer to the 458 than the F8). The 458 while slower than the 488 and the F12 that I owned - the 458 was a more exciting car, noise, Looks (subjective, but one of the best looking ever), road feel, and NA vs Turbo.

The 720s I think is miles ahead of any of the ferrari's I have mentioned. Handling and suspension is still the best, power is awesome more than you will ever need (the power of the 488 and 720s are probably more than we really need on the street, but hey more is better :) ). Looks are subjective - I think my F12 was one of the best looking V12 F cars ever as well as the 458 spider.. But the Mac is futuristic looking, and different which is also cool.

I could go on all day, but will say this in closing. I think the 720s is the best value for a hypercar performance than anything else out there, and has been for the last 3 years. All around, it is so hard to beat. They all will depreciate. They all have issues - I was shocked by some of the build/quality issues on my last 3 Ferrari's. So much so, I am somewhat turned off of the brand. I know some say the same on Mclaren (Quality/issues, etc.) - but I experienced the same with Ferrari.

Either way you will be happy the 488 is a great car, the 720s is a great car. I think the 720s is just that much better.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Couple of things having owned many Ferrari's and also the 720s.

Firstly the F8 is not really that close to the 488. That would be like comparing the 650s to the 720s - while maybe in the same class, the 720s is much faster, etc. The F8 (while I do not have one) is a notch above the 488 in most aspects. It is actually closer to the Pista performance wise than the 488. Having had a 458 and an F12 (The 488 is closer to the 458 than the F8). The 458 while slower than the 488 and the F12 that I owned - the 458 was a more exciting car, noise, Looks (subjective, but one of the best looking ever), road feel, and NA vs Turbo.

The 720s I think is miles ahead of any of the ferrari's I have mentioned. Handling and suspension is still the best, power is awesome more than you will ever need (the power of the 488 and 720s are probably more than we really need on the street, but hey more is better :) ). Looks are subjective - I think my F12 was one of the best looking V12 F cars ever as well as the 458 spider.. But the Mac is futuristic looking, and different which is also cool.

I could go on all day, but will say this in closing. I think the 720s is the best value for a hypercar performance than anything else out there, and has been for the last 3 years. All around, it is so hard to beat. They all will depreciate. They all have issues - I was shocked by some of the build/quality issues on my last 3 Ferrari's. So much so, I am somewhat turned off of the brand. I know some say the same on Mclaren (Quality/issues, etc.) - but I experienced the same with Ferrari.

Either way you will be happy the 488 is a great car, the 720s is a great car. I think the 720s is just that much better.
This pretty much sums it up. As a Pista and F12 owner with multiple F cars in the past I still believe the 720 is the best bang for the buck. Just find the best one you can vs. the cheapest. Also check service records.

·
Sponsor
1,377 Posts
Hello everyone,

I apologize in advance if the post is a bit long.

I am currently looking to get my first supercar and have narrowed it down to either a pre-owned 720s or 488.

I recently drove a 720s at a local McLaren dealership, but did not get a chance to drive a 488 at the local Ferrari dealership as most of the 488’s they had were on consignment and because they had just gotten a F8 Tributo demo for a few days. So with only a limited time I couldn’t refuse their offer to drive the F8.

The F8 is a fantastic car and I was told by the sales person at Ferrari that it is an improvement over the 488 but overall they are very similar and by driving a F8 I should have a very close ballpark idea of how the 488 should be.

With that said, I also got a chance to drive the 720s and it was explosive to say the least. I could speak to the differences in character and feel of each of the cars for days but for the sake of time, I will try and keep it brief.

Where I am, both the 720s and the 488 are in the similar price range and with each having their own pros and cons I am torn between which to go for.

The 720s is no doubt quicker and has better performance, but in my opinion the sound wasn’t as enthralling and I felt a bit of “turbo lag” at lower rpm’s, especially in higher gears. The F8, felt more naturally aspirated in terms of throttle response in my short drive (I presume the 488 is similar). I also liked the brake feel on the Ferrari compared to the McLaren, which felt very heavy and dead/lacked any feel.

To me both, the 488 looks great, but the 720s in the right colour combo simply looks astounding. The dihedral doors are also very special.

Overall interior on both to me seems fine each with their own style, an edge to the McLaren in my view as I like the full digital dash compared to the Ferrari’s centre rev counter flanked by two displays.

So in short, do you think it is worth getting a used 488 even though a used 720s is ahead in performance and for the same price if not cheaper?

For those of you that have had a 488, if you have any insights that would also be appreciated.

I know I am on a McLaren forum and I do feel a bit daft even asking these questions along with making any comparisons with another brand but I figure you all could shed some light in regards to what for me is a tough decision.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Hey Razzy,
I agree with Kmaaq on this matter the 720s I think is cooler and a better bang for your buck. However, whatever you first super car is we have the performance products and experts that can assist you in getting the most out of your super car. Here are some quick pictures of our 488 system and 720s system.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
A 488gtb is not even close to a 720s in performance ... if you said Pista yes they are quiet similar, with the 720s being the more daily usable car with near similar track performance ...

The F8 is somehow a more civilized version of the Pista at a lower price point ... but comparing that to a regular 488gtb makes no sense ... the 488gtb really is more on the lvl of the 650s of at all ...

·
Registered
259 Posts
As a previous owner of the 720s and 488gtb (currently have a Pista) I would agree with the rest, 720s all day. The looks, technology and performance of the 720s and far superior than the 488gtb. Should also be able to get a better deal on a 720s which is icing on the cake!

·
Registered
578 Posts
not sure how helpful this is
go to Mclaren website-Mclaren all day long
go to Ferrari Chat-Ferrari all day long

·
Registered
85 Posts
That’s because before we bought our cars we had this question. Those who bought the 720 end up in the Mclaren forum and the ones who chose the 488 end up in the Ferrari forums...

·
Registered
140 Posts
I wouldn't agree. I think if you posed this on FChat most would say 720S. I don't think anything touches a 720S or gets near for the price point. I'd take a Pista, but not for double the money (unless I thought Pista would hold value long term, which I'm unsure of)

·
Registered
578 Posts
I wouldn't agree. I think if you posed this on FChat most would say 720S. I don't think anything touches a 720S or gets near for the price point. I'd take a Pista, but not for double the money (unless I thought Pista would hold value long term, which I'm unsure of)
You may be right
Hard to hide our biases toward the mclaren here.
On f-chat they would talk about the performance of the 720s, and the next sentence would be about reliability

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
there are many here who have both ... most agree that the 720s is quiet similar to the Pista, but vastly superior to a 488gtb... this is backed up by many magazine tests as well ...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
You may be right
Hard to hide our biases toward the mclaren here.
On f-chat they would talk about the performance of the 720s, and the next sentence would be about reliability
What Chris said above.

Mclaren owners come from other marques or hold multiple marque's at the same time. They are the most unbias opinions.

No sales guys, third party indy shops, re-sellers, mechanics, employees directly/indirectly on the business side of things are posting here trying to pump up Mclarens.

Other sites is an entirely different thing. People on the business side trying to fool potential first time owners of exotic cars into certain narratives.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If in fact they were the same price it would be a little more difficult. In the UK the 720s is fat cheaper than the 488 by £50k so the decision would be very easy.
The 720s is a superior and the best bang for buck at the moment by far.
The only sticking point for me would be the McLaren customer service and reliability which I and others I know have not had a good experience with.
I own a few Ferrari and owned a 488 and currently a Pista but also own 2 McLaren. If the prices were the same I would choose the 488 but at the current values you have to choose the 720s

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow! Thank you everyone for some great insights. I do agree with what many of you of have said in regards to performance and value for money.

With that said, I had another follow up question. I am looking at a 2018 with Elite Saros paint and pretty much every option on it with approximately 8,000 km’s on it; I am wondering if there is something I should be aware in terms of 2018 model year cars.

Thanks again for all your assistance. You all are awesome!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Make sure, that the latest software is installed or will be installed in the near future. There were and still are a lot of software glitches, which can be healed with software updates. Parking sensors going panic in stop & go traffic, suspension failures, power steering failures, just to name a few. All these errors can be dismissed by restarting the car, but that's not fun. Not all of them are fixed by this time, but it got a lot better in the last year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Make sure, that the latest software is installed or will be installed in the near future. There were and still are a lot of software glitches, which can be healed with software updates. Parking sensors going panic in stop & go traffic, suspension failures, power steering failures, just to name a few. All these errors can be dismissed by restarting the car, but that's not fun. Not all of them are fixed by this time, but it got a lot better in the last year.
yikes. That’s a bit concerning. Should I be looking for a certain build number or something where McLaren got past the launch car builds? I presume the ones after launch would have less mechanical and fitment issues or am I off base? It’s why I was originally looking for 2019 cars but the selection on used 720s’ in Canada are very slim. Only a couple of 2019 models and all asking way too much with not so ideal spec/options either.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
yikes. That’s a bit concerning. Should I be looking for a certain build number or something where McLaren got past the launch car builds? I presume the ones after launch would have less mechanical and fitment issues or am I off base? It’s why I was originally looking for 2019 cars but the selection on used 720s’ in Canada are very slim. Only a couple of 2019 models and all asking way too much with not so ideal spec/options either.
generally look for cars with problems sorted out and good documented service history which says all updates have been made (not a 2018 with only 500-1000 miles) and preferable a higher VIN above 2000 ...

1 - 20 of 70 Posts