McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just created a youtube video detailing how to change oil on your McLaren 720s. Just did the oil change yesterday as it snowed outside.
feel free to ask any questions or make comments. I plan to do a front end removal video in the future as I need to change a front sensor.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the panels on the 720s are carbon fibre, the only distinction is if they were painted some color (usually body color, black, or metallic grey) or if they were clearcoated with a CF pretty enough to look at. My doors are painted carbon fibre, my mirrors have a clear coated CF from the factory along with other parts that came in the Performance package.

·
Registered
468 Posts
All the panels on the 720s are carbon fibre, the only distinction is if they were painted some color (usually body color, black, or metallic grey) or if they were clearcoated with a CF pretty enough to look at. My doors are painted carbon fibre, my mirrors have a clear coated CF from the factory along with other parts that came in the Performance package.
I think you are wrong, . the panels are some kind of composite/plastic not carbon fibre or in the case of the the rear wings aluminium IIRC. If you want to swap out your bonnet/hood for a CF piece its about £6K and I'm pretty sure there is no CF option for the doors although MSO can usually facilitate for the requisite $$$$$

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I know is they are all CF composite. I have seen under the paint of some painted parts of a 720 and they were all CF composite. I could be wrong about the doors, but I don’t think so.
I think you are wrong, . the panels are some kind of composite/plastic not carbon fibre or in the case of the the rear wings aluminium IIRC. If you want to swap out your bonnet/hood for a CF piece its about £6K and I'm pretty sure there is no CF option for the doors although MSO can usually facilitate for the requisite $$$$$

·
Registered
468 Posts
What I know is they are all CF composite. I have seen under the paint of some painted parts of a 720 and they were all CF composite. I could be wrong about the doors, but I don’t think so.
So you think the standard bonnet/hood is "CF composite" ? If so how is there a ~3kg weight saving when fitting the real MSO CF hood, is it a different grade of CF ? Same with the rear wing/spoiler, the visible CF MSO one is 3.3kg lighter that the composite wing - I don't know anything about "composites" but thought they had more to do with plastic than CF ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might be right. I dont know what every panel is made of and have seen some parts that seemed to be a CFRP. I was under the impression (as other owners that I talked to) that all panels are CFRP. It could be just FRP like you stated. Having a pretty looking CF layer to show off is a more tedious process than just painting the CFRP. They also come in different grades.
it’s all conjecture on my part as I have no direct knowledge or proof what any of the body panels are made of, just what I recall being told several times in the past by potentially misinformed others.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the post below that has the PR statement about the wing they call it “Visual Carbon Fibre”. This just leads to more confusion as it implies that the original wing is just painted CFRP. They do state that “Visual CF” is lighter. Paint adds weight to a car, that could be part of it.
It’s an interesting question that I will keep digging in to.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I reached out to a person I know that works at McLaren and he said that the body panels that are painted are made of plastic and aluminum.
Thank you tb993tt for raising the question as it led me on an educational journey and corrected a misconception I had about the car!

·
Registered
468 Posts
I reached out to a person I know that works at McLaren and he said that the body panels that are painted are made of plastic and aluminum.
Thank you tb993tt for raising the question as it led me on an educational journey and corrected a misconception I had about the car!
This is what I thought but I was getting excited about them being possibly CFRP, knowing little to nothing about composites Carbon Fibre reinforced plastic sounded pretty cool but I guess they are just a more mundane kind of plastic composite hence the weight advantages of some of the available MSO dry CF panel options (currently hood and spoiler)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sadly I know that, yet as I have aged remembering things on the fly sometimes ends up being a challenge.
There are several snafu's in the video, I tried correcting the obvious ones (like gallon vs. quart).
Allen wrench was another one I forgot, I called it hexagonal...LOL!
It is all good, I could have worse issues than occasional forgetfulness of words.
It makes me sound very amateurish on the video, like I don't know what I am doing...that still might be true, but not nearly as bad as I sometimes appear in the video.

Abed thanks for taking the time to do that. It was very interesting. FYI the "star" fasteners are Torx.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ended up getting dissappointed...LOL!
Do they now have a dry CF option vs. the gloss CF they call "visual carbon fibre"?
Dry CF usually refers to CF that is not coated with a glossy overcoat, and some even have a ridged feel to them.
I actually have a dry CF film applied on my 720 on the front lip, I like it better than the glossy cf. It mimics the ridged feeling of dry cf as well.

This is what I thought but I was getting excited about them being possibly CFRP, knowing little to nothing about composites Carbon Fibre reinforced plastic sounded pretty cool but I guess they are just a more mundane kind of plastic composite hence the weight advantages of some of the available MSO dry CF panel options (currently hood and spoiler)

·
Registered
468 Posts
I ended up getting dissappointed...LOL!
Do they now have a dry CF option vs. the gloss CF they call "visual carbon fibre"?
Dry CF usually refers to CF that is not coated with a glossy overcoat, and some even have a ridged feel to them.
I actually have a dry CF film applied on my 720 on the front lip, I like it better than the glossy cf. It mimics the ridged feeling of dry cf as well.
I don't really know what I am talking about re the different types of CF, I was told the dry CF is the strongest and refers to the construction rather than the finish. I'm having a rear spoiler made in dry CF but it will be glossy like the OEM item

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sadly I know that, yet as I have aged remembering things on the fly sometimes ends up being a challenge.
There are several snafu's in the video, I tried correcting the obvious ones (like gallon vs. quart).
Allen wrench was another one I forgot, I called it hexagonal...LOL!
It is all good, I could have worse issues than occasional forgetfulness of words.
It makes me sound very amateurish on the video, like I don't know what I am doing...that still might be true, but not nearly as bad as I sometimes appear in the video.
I am sure there was a lot of effort put into that. As I get older I find myself searching for words also, great fun. No worries I shouldn't have said anything everyone knows what you were talking about.
Thanks again for the effort.

·
Registered
165 Posts
From an 720s owner, wanted to thank you for posting this... I likely will not do my oil changes until warranty ends also so they can do the software updates, and other items while it is in there. But once out of warranty (if I still own it) I will do much of my own maintenance as I do my other cars. I really appreciate the time and effort you pulling this together, very helpful and detailed.

Thank you for doing this and spending the time, and posting!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Good to see someone else from WA. Now I know i'm not the only one in the state with a 720s. Mine is "Storm Gray", making it invisible in the current weather :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts