Hey guys, hope everyone's healthy and well. I have a fully stock 18 720s that I bought last september from Ohio with 1200 miles for 262k. Its VIN ends with 1805. If you'd like to go straight to the problems facing my 720s, kindly skip to the next paragraph gentlemen (and the one lady who thought this was her husbands dating site). I parted with my '14 SLS for it which was a big deal for me. Although I made a hefty sum on the SLS, I willingly got into a car that I knew was a money pit because I never intended to sell it. You see, I am kind of in love with the 720s. Its presence is strong yet sublime and its speed is second to none in the segment. I am not going to discribe the 720s any further in fear of being superfluous after so many other reviews. Anyway, I am one year and 9000 miles in. I changed the oil twice and the tires once so regular maintenance have been like 8-9k. I drove it from Ann Arbor to Boston and back with no problems.and after the first six months I began to.think it's the best car ever made (very subjective reasons). But around the time the two year service interval of the car came close it started to show some problems.
You see, I had other smaller issues which I don't mind and got taken care of (mostly) and they are the following:
1) Leather moulding surrounding b pillar getting its clip broken and replaced.
2) Driver side door sill leather panel sliding down and needing to be re-glued.
3) Passenger door seat housing discoloring
and having the part replaced
4) rear badge logo peeling off and having the badge replaced.
5) Rear passenger side area rattle > still to be diagnosed
6) passenger mirror squeaks likes an old door > still to be diagnosed
7) Door struts giving out and being replaced
8) Vehicle shaking roughly at 193mph due to dealership in Boston putting new rear tires with 37psi on the left and 33psi on the right. Minor error by the dealership honestly. I should've known better.
The real issues that have been bothering me/bothered me are:
1) Vehicle bogs at around 7000 rpm. This is the main problem omg. I need some knowledgeable advice please. Mclaren Boston replaced the fuel pump controller and it fixed the issue from like March to June but it came back. There is usually an engine system failure light at wide open throttle and it goes away after a few more WOTs but after a while the bogging at 7k rpm starts (INTERMITTENTLY). I am finally writing today as I got it on tape actually. Video link provided. I just came back from an oil change and warranty repairs a few weeks ago in Troy, Michigan and they said the power train was fine but the problem's consistent to this day.
2) Suspension Failure. I diagnosed the problem to the accumulators as when I set the dynanics of the car to track while the car's idling on neutral, the whining suspension noise starts going crazy lol like the noise the car's suspension(?) usually makes is long-ish but now it goes, swizuswizuswizuswizuswizu... it constantly goes on with the suspension failing to adjust. If i turn of the car off without putting the dynamics back to sport/comfort (in which after a while the suspension suddenly adjusts and the noise is normal again), upon turning the car on again I am 90% of the time greeted with a suspension failure light..love it.
3)Check engine light, p420 and the 30 or whatever catalyst codes. Both cats and downpipes replaced a few weeks ago at Mclaren Troy, Michigan. Problem solved (in so far). BUT WHY
The Mclaren dealers were great. Real gentlemen, the service advisors. Just wish they were quicker, but that is not a mark against them! Love mclaren and id be delighted to get the successor as well. They respected the warranties and never treated me any different from older multiple mclaren owners. Now the worst ordeal here is having my car's performance restricted since March and with the impeding cold season, I am very sad about my first world problem of not being able to thrash around in my beloved 720s.
Anyhoo here is the link to the video please watch it carefully. Engine revs up fine on second gear but bogs around 7k rpm on 3rd. Maybe bogs twice. I only put 93 and only from Shell. Notice there no fault lights this time. Its kind of random but the bottom line is, the car bogs bad!!! I really want my car back as it were in the first six months, idc if i have to pay for it really. I just hate to see it like this.