McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Extended warranty does not cover gorilla glass. My driver's side cracked again. This time, I think it was from a rock chip. Can anyone source a replacement for a decent price? Not interested in changing out to carbon fiber... yet!

·
Owner
538 Posts
Extended warranty does not cover gorilla glass. My driver's side cracked again. This time, I think it was from a rock chip. Can anyone source a replacement for a decent price? Not interested in changing out to carbon fiber... yet!
Have you priced it directly from McLaren?
I am in talks w/a manufacturer to make these replacements as it seems there will be a real need as cars begin to come out of warranty. I will have some final pricing mid March since CNY delayed things. This manufacturer produces windshields and rear view mirrors, so they are familiar w/the manufacturing process. Obviously, the goal is to provide cost-effective alternatives.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Have you priced it directly from McLaren?
I am in talks w/a manufacturer to make these replacements as it seems there will be a real need as cars begin to come out of warranty. I will have some final pricing mid March since CNY delayed things. This manufacturer produces windshields and rear view mirrors, so they are familiar w/the manufacturing process. Obviously, the goal is to provide cost-effective alternatives.
There was a posting on here a few weeks ago from a person who works at the supplier of the glass in Europe.

He had stated that there was something wrong with their machine and that they had an updated machine and that any glass manufactured after summer 2019 won't have the stress crack issues.

It would seem that he is correct based on the anectodal information from the forums of when the issues were happening or not happening.

Reactions: taw6189

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
There was a posting on here a few weeks ago from a person who works at the supplier of the glass in Europe.

He had stated that there was something wrong with their machine and that they had an updated machine and that any glass manufactured after summer 2019 won't have the stress crack issues.

It would seem that he is correct based on the anectodal information from the forums of when the issues were happening or not happening.
Think he was talking about windshield glass. Believe gorilla glass on the ‘roof door’ is a Corning branded glass but I’m not certain — could be licensed to others.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Think he was talking about windshield glass. Believe gorilla glass on the ‘roof door’ is a Corning branded glass but I’m not certain — could be licensed to others.
it makes sense. I haven't seen anyone post recently about the gorilla glass or windshield stress cracks (there might be some out there but they would have cracked by now if it was the older glass).

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
@XPRD ?

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
it makes sense. I haven't seen anyone post recently about the gorilla glass or windshield stress cracks (there might be some out there but they would have cracked by now if it was the older glass).
Yes. After the factory guy posted (guess he got shut down), my 2018 windshield stress cracked! Was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
Petrolhead
2 Posts
Another option could be to replace gorilla glass for non carbon roof panels (similar to the new 765LT). Single side gorilla glass is about 6k!

·
Registered
929 Posts
OP needs to contact dealer and ask for warranty coverage as it was already done under warranty once before. manufacturer should step up to the plate.
not exactly an unknown issue!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
OP needs to contact dealer and ask for warranty coverage as it was already done under warranty once before. manufacturer should step up to the plate.
not exactly an unknown issue!
it’s a rock chip . That won’t be under warranty

Reactions: taw6189

·
Registered
297 Posts
OP "thinks" it's a rock chip. needs to confirm whether it is .
But wouldn't a rock chip have an obvious indicator (different spread of crack lines, indentation)? The problem never happened to me so I honestly wouldn't know sir!

Edit: on second thought it actually could be hard to tell 😅

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have my car windshield and all glass components warrantied so they will cover it. Will a plexiglass/plastic work better?

·
Registered
2018 McLaren 720S Cerulean Blue
24 Posts
One of mine cracked from what I thought was a rock chip, But McLaren replaced both under warranty, this really surprised me, so there must have been something wrong in the manufacturing of these panels. These were replaced for me last spring along with the windshield.
Which makes me ask, is there something about British Glass? It seems really soft and subject to chipping like crazy. My Jaguar FPace was the same way, it went thru 3 windshields in 3 years and always had little very small but annoying chips in the glass.

·
Registered
616 Posts
A large batch of windscreens had a manufacturing defect. They all break at the same 2 spots either side.

Secondly, lightweight thin glass is used.

Thirdly, CF cell cars are very stiff and are perhaps inherently more likely to break glass? i8 is the same. I've no idea why that happens.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C and 2018 720S
19 Posts
Add my name to the list of guys with persistent roof glass problems. The driver’s side had cracked twice, and the passenger side three times, before I bought it just before this new year. The driver’s side has now caught up. I’m determined to replace them just one more time before I cave and move to the CF parts, but there simply must be an aftermarket alternative. Too many people, too many broken panels. I’m surprised there has not been a class-action suit (not that I’d want to be that guy)

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Cracked gorilla glass was one of the reasons I sold my 720s. It just became a hassle to deal with. Every time it was replaced under warranty. I didn't want to deal with it out of warranty. First everyone thought it was the gen 1 glass, then gen 2 and then gen 3 even failed. Then there was a tech bulletin that blamed the application of the adhesive. It just became a crap shoot for not knowing what the real cause was. In retrospect, knowing what I know now, I would have never ordered the glass roofs. Yes it was cool but at what cost...

Reactions: TurboUp

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, didn't have PPF/clearplex on it, but I will now after this incident. Mine was replaced 3x under warranty due to stress cracks, but this time is definitely a rock chip. You can see where it hit. I was on a drive with 12 other McLarens and a stray rock hit the center of the gorilla glass. Got a quote from Europe (ExoticAutoParts.Co) at 2859 GBP (about $4000) shipped. The part number for the driver's side is 14AC804CP. There are 3 different part numbers depending on the size of the glass. Looks like the most updated part is slightly smaller. My dealer (McLaren San Diego) quoted me $5889.41 and they have it in stock. They outsource the installation to a glass guy, and it's $300. I made an insurance claim; there is no deductible and they'll cover it. After this is replaced, clearplex is going on both panels and the windshield!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts